Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know where is located the ambient light sensor?
Can you post a picture?
I want to cover it so the lights are always 100% on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't have a picture, seeing as I do not have an 03 Malibu, but on my 04 Grand Am, the Ambient Light Sensor was just offset to the drivers side of the dash. It looks like a little bulb that you would press on like a weed wacker to prime it, but obviously this one doesn't push. Lol.
If its not there... Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You have an 03, right. why is it that you want all the lights on everytime it's running?

I know a way to make the lights stay on but it doesn't involve the sensor. I've disabled the DRL and ALC on my 2000, I can't stand those automated controls and preffer to be in total control of the lights in mine.

PM me and I can give you a link on what you can do, I'll have to find it first, but disabling the DRL will trick the BCM and have all the lights working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her is why I want the lights always 100% on...
I installed a HID kit and with the DRL the voltage is lower
so the HID are not working properly.
They need 12v .
So I tought about putting something like a tape on the sensor.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It might just be easier to pull the DRL fuse. Its located under the hood. I believe it was fuse 42, but I could be wrong. Your automatic lights will still work, but your headlights won't turn on to be used as DRLs. If it is not fuse 42, it is one of those under the hood. Lol

Why, are you having problems with the voltage being too low? I know my new Malibu has not had any issues with the DRL being HID.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Canada and DRL are an obligation.
DRL circuit gives about 8 volt during daytime.
It is not enough for the HID kit I installed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ohh... I did not know that.
Sorry I can't help you more then. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't pull the DRL fuse or relay, these will cause the SES light to be lit. You have the N-body Malibu like mine and the way I've disabled the DRL's can be done on yours. In fact on any vehicle with DRL and ALC if you remove the fuse or relay it will throw a SES light the instant the car is started.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I thought that as well, but on my GA... It never threw any codes. Lol... I always considered it lucky, although it was probably the car screwing up somehow. Lol... I always had to sit there and let the car do the security relearn. Lol... 10 minutes of my life gone every other time I went to start the car.

However, good luck with getting them on all the time, instead of off. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.