Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally after long time found the problem that caused my car to have low boost and random empacts on preformance . My catalytic converter broke down and clogged the other cata with metal parts ive changed the top cata and removed the other one completey but unfortunately the issue still continues my car randomly either drives well or bad boost improved a bit but with hard pressing. the guy who replaced my cat said that the turbo got damaged because the car has been driven over 2 years with that problem he said that the side of the turbo which goes to the cata the compressor wheel is stiff and hard to move it, and u have to apply good amount of force to move it he put some oil on it ,and im suspecting that there is a problem with the shaft that is loose from the other side and makes the turbine touch the sides causing it to get stuck or something. any symptoms that i suppose to get if thats true? I have picture of the intake side of the turbo which looks clean and compressor wheel moves freely and the shaft isnt loose any way to test that?also ive changed both wastegate and blowoff valve solenoids cuz they had very bad wear even though my car drove only 40,000 miles

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye out for this. So far I'm good. I would replace the turbo if it were me, unless your guy can nurse your original unit back to health.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,958 Posts
Just replace the turbo and be done with it.

I feel like there was a mass delusion when the industry started putting turbocharged engines in everything that turbochargers are reliable lifetime parts. I fully expect to replace the turbocharger in my wife's car eventually, hopefully it'll go 100k miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh boy. I'm just looking to drive mine until the wheels fall off. I really don't want to replace anything; I know that's folly but that's just my attitude lately. On an unrelated topic, the 8th generation IMO is very well built. The quality and fit and finish is just about the best I've seen (outside of gen 9) from most chevrolet products up to the present. I'll just keep using premium gas and hope for the best. Cat failure, however, tends to be sporadic. Sometimes you can get away without changing cats, and sometimes they just fail outright.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,958 Posts
If you buy a factory replacement turbo online, it's not a terribly expensive repair even if you're paying labor rates.

Reactions: lbls1

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Was out in the front yard yesterday and what did I notice going down the road out front at about 35 mph, gen 8 with a blue smoke trail coming out the tailpipe. Car looked clean, not beat up, driving by, instinct tells me it was a 2.0 car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car having preformance issues but rarely drives well, It seems that there is an issue with my gas pedal ,the ecm puts the car or into limp mode restricts boost and probably thorttle body and fuel( no codes on dashboard nor ecm history )
Does anyone ever had any issue like that?
When i put cruise control (which the ecm controls the thorttle body and speed) my car feels smooth and when i press + to accelerate it has immediate response also up hill . if i save speed of 80 and activate the cruise control from 40 it accelerates well and has full power but when i turn it off car feels powerless and heavy , having hard time to accelerate and the rpm struggles to go up at some point .ive ordered new gas pedal will it fix my issue? Or there is something bigger going on here?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,954 Posts
My car having preformance issues but rarely drives well, It seems that there is an issue with my gas pedal ,the ecm puts the car or into limp mode restricts boost and probably thorttle body and fuel( no codes on dashboard nor ecm history )
Does anyone ever had any issue like that?
When i put cruise control (which the ecm controls the thorttle body and speed) my car feels smooth and when i press + to accelerate it has immediate response also up hill . if i save speed of 80 and activate the cruise control from 40 it accelerates well and has full power but when i turn it off car feels powerless and heavy , having hard time to accelerate and the rpm struggles to go up at some point .ive ordered new gas pedal will it fix my issue? Or there is something bigger going on here?
If you're going into limp mode, I'll bet there are codes stored somewhere. Have them read. Not just the P codes. As I've learned from @repairman54 and others, there are 3 more classes of trouble codes that the cheap scanners don't usually catch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe ill look again with better scanner the point is the limp mode goes away after i use cruise control

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
It can still have stored codes. If you intend to keep an eye on the condition of your car, you might wanna get a scanner.

I bought the BlueDriver and I really like it. Other members had mentioned it, so I checked out various reviews and some videos before purchasing it, and there's no subscription, either. It's just a Bluetooth dongle and you download the free app to your phone or tablet. It can read all of the codes, stored history, etc. It also shows me a Live view of whatever I want to see on a dial, up to 6 max.

I've been suffering with a CEL indicating poor cat efficiency, so I had all 4 of my O2 sensors changed for new AC Delco ones and it still persists. I tend to think that it might be one or more fuel injectors because sometimes I'll hear a kind-of "blort" when the engine starts, and usually not long afterward the CEL turns on. I really don't wanna replace a couple of cats, nor 6 injectors, but I'd like to cure that CEL!

I was about $100 when I bought it.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
That's a good point about the fuel quality. Supposedly, I'm getting 89 octane from a BP station. Now, I'm sure that no station has ever used an expired sign to draw in customers, and then providing less than expected quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True still try to change gas station and if u changed ur cata might be the engine control module doesnt see the cata as fitting with the programming they have strict pollution policy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you resolved your issue with the car? Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts