Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 LS. Had it 2 months now and just turned 1000 mi. Thus far I have not heard the slightest rattle, knock, squeak or creak from the car. The only thing I hear is sometimes on cold mornings some slight knocking in the suspension over bumps which I assume is the strut mounts.

Today a friend of mine came by and he had a rental 09 LT with 14K mi. I took it for a ride and was shocked. Every bump resulted in some kind of rattle or knock from various locations. Most prominent was some kind of rattle felt in the floor board (are they having intermediate shaft/rack problems like the previous malibu?) and a knocking coming form the suspension in front. Not only was it noisy but it felt sloppy.

Maybe its because its an abused rental but if thats what these cars become I'm getting rid of mine. The quietness and solid feel is the most striking feature of the Malibu. Anyone with over 10K mi on their malibu want to comment?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I am not over 10k yet, but getting there. The car holds up ok so far. There's an occasional sound every now and then, but most of them I traced and found to be normal. For instance, I had a noticeable rattle coming from the front passenger door. I traced it to the weatherstripping on the bottom of the door. It is attached with somewhat loose plastic pins that has gotten noisy and the rubber itself was a bit dirty. I cleaned all of it up and sprayed with silicon spray. I have seem this type of clips on other cars, nothing wrong design wise. Just needed a bit of post winter cleaning, I suppose.
Another source of a sound is the rear belt buckles hitting the vinyl of the seats in winter...Again, something expected.
Other than that...I get an occasional plastic tap on the passsneger side, but it's infrequent...literally 2-3 times a day. Haven't heard it much lately btw, beginning to think it may be related to the those seals too. Or maybe the passenger belt (buckle or belt itself).

Anyhow, I am satisfied...The honda I had before was much worse from the start. These occasional things are ok too, the car is quieter than anything I have driven before, that brings about some minor normal sounds normally drowned by the engine/road noise.

Oh, I forgot. There is some mild thud I hear from the back, usually heard for some time after I started the car and driving away...I blame it on stuff in the trunk :) :)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The Epsilon platform was already quite solid and refined, even if it didn't seem overly so with the last gen Malibu and G6, but the current Malibu/Aura have really taken it to another level in every way.

Very, very solid, quiet, smooth cars, and built well enough to stay that way. Our '08 Fairfax 2LT is now at 14k miles of daily use, trips full of luggage and dogs, every kind of weather, road surface, etc. imagineable and is just tight, solid, quiet, and rattle/creak/squeak/clunk free in every way even in frigid temps. Never a noise.

Same for the '09 Orion 2LT I had, except for a clunk/rattle randomly from the rear shelf that appeared only after the dealer had it apart to replace a speaker, and ever so slightly some strut cap clunking for the first few minutes when very cold. Quiet, solid car.

Some rentals are run ragged to the level people would never imagine, BUT also at the same time a few cars every now and again just come off the line in general with noises for whatever reason. Rattles, creaks, etc. are the bane of existence in a car design and manufacturing sometimes, and are sorted out in R&D, but still occur in a handful of cars every time--somewhat like the rental 'Bu experienced, even though that's far from the norm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have to agree with Beach on this.

We had an 05 and one reason that made us buy the 09 was the fact that the previous gen car was solid, silent and comfortable.

When we returned it, it had about 69,000 Km's on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2008 1LT with the 4 cylinder. We just hit 24,000 and it still feels very solid and is very quiet. I have not noticed any major squeaks or rattles. Great car.

The only complaint so far is the front brake squeal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.