Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so ticked right now and I have to share my washing experience and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I have a new Chevy Malibu LTZ 2008 and I just got done hand washing my car. So far I have washed the car once thru a car wash and one hand wash. After I got done drying my car today, I realized that I had scratches all over my car. I park my car in the garage every night so it is not a varment. It is simply the two washes and I have scratches from a quarter inch to several inches. Anyone else have this issue. I have tried to be cautious in my washing but I am convinced that the paint finish is crap. Any tips on getting rid of the surface scratches and washing in the future?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The paint finish now being used, especially on the Malibu, is quite high quality for a volume vehicle, and much improved over what used to be typical GM paint.

As for scratches, are you talking about swirl marks and other marring? In other words, not deep scratches into the paint, but circular and zig-zagged marks all over the place that look like it was washed with sand? Quite common. Careful hand washing with quality mits and towels, in straight, steady lines, etc. and little rubbing and the same with polishing and waxing help avoid such things.

BUT, a lot of times cars will come new from the dealer already slightly swirled and/or marred up, just due to how they wash them, both for sitting on the lot and sale delivery--just not carefully done or using correct tools. Beyond that, even one car wash--if it at ALL touched the car, whether with soft cloths or other items--can do more damage than you'd think. All reasons why most cars you'll see on the road are swirled up, due to not being washed or detailed correctly, running through a random car wash every so often, or even just having been cleaned by a dealer.

Sorry for the long post...but more details might help. What color is your car? What else have you done with it since delivery, in terms of cleaning? How did the dealer prep it, or just how did it look, before you took delivery?

Sounds like you could use the work of an experienced detailer, but I'm curious to hear more details.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Better pics please... From what I can see you've got some nice damage there, like key scratchs and a package being set/slid on a body panel. Not enough detail in the image to recommend what to do next....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, but the site only allows each image to be 97 kb or less. Higher quality images are much larger in size. I have higher quality images. Is there a way to upload larger images?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Upload them to photobucket, then IMG code them into here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll tell you no matter what brand of car you have the clear coat will scratch easily and get down to the paint. My guess is that all finishes scratch equally as easy.

You can't see your car at all times so you really can't say what caused these scratches.

Just like when I ask my wife "where did these door dings come from" the response is "never park close to anyone".

Things happen. I used to be very anal about our Honda Pilot getting scratches and dings. After 3 years, I realized there was nothing I can do about it so I quit worrying and getting upset when it happens.

·
Registered
201 Posts
its hard to tell by photo but they look pretty deep. Hard to say where they came from either. Someone who knows how should do a polish or a light compound first then a polish. They will probably not all go away but I see some swirlling too which will clear up alot. It s a dark color too which makes it look worse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On top of all this - I have the same issues. Check the paint all the way around your gas cap. Mine is missing on the side closest to the hinge. I checked every Malibu on the lot 08 and 09s were the same. Loved the LTZ the first few months. Having to look at the paint and other problems...Not so much now.

·
Registered
472 Posts
All the new cars have problems with scratches in the clear coat. The new clear coats used by the manufacturers are much harder and have such a high gloss almost any rough fiber will scratch them. Sort of like the problem people have with glasses that have hardened lenses. If you don't use a lens cloth you will scratch the lens. That is why there are so many aftermarket companies selling coatings for all of the cars.

Bill

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
its hard to tell by photo but they look pretty deep. Hard to say where they came from either. Someone who knows how should do a polish or a light compound first then a polish. They will probably not all go away but I see some swirlling too which will clear up alot. It s a dark color too which makes it look worse.
Yeah, not the first ones, but the ones at the end actually look like physical, scraped in scratches. Not just marring from washing or rubbing...which is odd, if you don't know how they happened.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The scratches are from washing. Hard to believe but it is true. I use recommended wash clothes that I purchased from Pep Boys to dry the vehicle. I know the clothes did not cause the scratches because I stopped drying once I seen all the scratches. The only thing I can think of is the brush used from the hand car wash. I felt the brush before using it and it was very soft. I am lost for words.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Biggest mistake is running the car thru a car wash :eek: the brushes grab dirt,mud,rocks and everything else that was on the cars and trucks before yours and a lot of that crap gets caught in the brushes so guess what happens when you run your car thru :mad: I would take it to a Pro Detailer and let them work their magic ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those scratches ain;t Richard! They will come out no problem so you will be able to sleep! I ran a car down the side of jagged boulders and they came out well filled,drilled,sanded, bla bla they came out just fine could not even tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found the same sorts of scratches on my wife's Imperial Blue LT (2 months old) The car has never been washed by hand or gone through anything but a touchless car wash. It's pretty frustrating, and would definately seem to be an indictment of the finish quality.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.