Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new here, but i feel i might need everyone in this thread a lot at first.

I just recently purchased an '06 Malibu Maxx SS with 73,000 miles on it. this car is in excelent condition and is a great vehicle. I've owned it for a matter of two days.

However, im running into a problem now. the test drive for the vehicle was flawless, the trip home was good also. now after weve cleaned up the system and replaced some fluids, i have a check engine light on that is throwing a code for the "air intake sensor". also, when accelerating, i see the "service tc" light flashing by the tempeture guage and the car seems to be shifting hard. the light flashes for a few seconds or stays solid for a second or two and then clears.

We plan to do some more scheduled maintence to the vehicle, but i was curious if theres something we need to be looking at here? any idea what would cause this? anything reccomended that i do to the car besides a "125,000" mile tuneup? (We do that on ever car we buy used early)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. I'd check to make sure the connection didn't get bumped.
Everything looks hooked up, I bought a cold air intake to help with gas consumption and power. So well be checking these connections again.

That issue would cause hard shift and service tc light to come on? I would think it would be just check engine and worse gas consumption.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Everything looks hooked up, I bought a cold air intake to help with gas consumption and power. So well be checking these connections again.

That issue would cause hard shift and service tc light to come on? I would think it would be just check engine and worse gas consumption.
The emphasized portion is known to kick CEL codes on these cars.

Besides, if you look carefully, the FACTORY intake is a cold air intake ... consider where it sucks the air from!

RwP

·
Banned
2,087 Posts
The emphasized portion is known to kick CEL codes on these cars.
And even if that didn't happen.......it was a pure waste of time and money anyway......as are the chips, windmills, magnets and most of the additives too.

The one adjustment you can make that is guaranteed to make a difference is........with the DRIVER !! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have chalked it up to the cold air intake also, if it was installed. I just purchased it and it has not arrived yet. So this is all stock components throwing the code, and causing issues.

I see in this forum that many people are down on the cold air intakes. Im not expecting a miracle with this thing, i know better. its going to add 1-2 HP at best, but it is going to help the 3.9 breathe a little better with air outside the engine bay. there are two things that i dont mind spending a little money on. Not to mention a metal housing is much better than the plastic.

I agree with the gas savings, like i said i don't expect much. heres some proof: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

With that said, i drove the car to work today, engine light is on, no other issues happened. so we m ight have to dig into the MAS issue.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hello everyone, im new here, but i feel i might need everyone in this thread a lot at first.

I just recently purchased an '06 Malibu Maxx SS with 73,000 miles on it. this car is in excelent condition and is a great vehicle. I've owned it for a matter of two days.

However, im running into a problem now. the test drive for the vehicle was flawless, the trip home was good also. now after weve cleaned up the system and replaced some fluids, i have a check engine light on that is throwing a code for the "air intake sensor". also, when accelerating, i see the "service tc" light flashing by the tempeture guage and the car seems to be shifting hard. the light flashes for a few seconds or stays solid for a second or two and then clears.

We plan to do some more scheduled maintence to the vehicle, but i was curious if theres something we need to be looking at here? any idea what would cause this? anything reccomended that i do to the car besides a "125,000" mile tuneup? (We do that on ever car we buy used early)
On page 6-6 of the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx owner's manual you will find the "Additional Required Services" which are laid in frames of mileage on the vehicle. I can see the 75,000 miles service should include inspection of the fuel system for damage and leaks as well as inspecting the exhaust system for loose or damaged parts. This service is to be repeated at 125,000 miles.

However, the 100,000 mile service has additional things that should be checked on the vehicle to include the systems posted above. I see the engine air cleaner filter should be replaced. The automatic transaxle fluid and filter should be changed. The spark plugs should be changed and the spark plug wires should be inspected; this is for the V6 engine only.

If you didn't receive an owner's manual when you purchased the vehicle you can visit, www.helminc.com to obtain a copy. You can also contact them at their toll free telephone number of 1-800-551-4123. Their hours of operation are Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
2,087 Posts
its going to add 1-2 HP at best,

Not to mention a metal housing is much better than the plastic.
Or at worst, it will SUBTRACT some power......like many of the devices listed in the article you provided.
And/or set a code that you can't get rid of.
I strongly encourage you to be sure the present problem is fixed BEFORE you go making any mods.

Truth IS that most people don't have the resources to make a measurement to know one way or the other. 2 HP in this kind of machine certainly won't be noticeable........except maybe for the "placebo" effect. ;)

Yep, a metal housing is better. It might last 100 years, where the plastic one woud only last 50. :D

But if you are happy in the end, that's all the really counts. :)

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
I liked 2 in particular: the one that turned to goo and caught on fire, and the $399 water injector that used vacuum to operate.

The aftermarket CAI is more for looks than practicality. I would agree that metal will be more durable, but it will also pick up more heat from the engine and transfer it into the airstream. How much I can't say and it probably won't matter much, either. What it might also improve is the overall flow since it shouldn't have the bellows to attach it to the filter box or the throttle body. Turbulence defeats smooth air flow (as we learned in that article ;)) and defeats efficient filling of the cylinders. The stock air intake also has a resonator chamber that is there to reduce the sounds that manufacturers think we drivers don't like to hear. (What? They think we're all sissies???) It seems like more money than I want to spend but I still might do it someday. No accounting for taste, eh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I liked 2 in particular: the one that turned to goo and caught on fire, and the $399 water injector that used vacuum to operate.

The aftermarket CAI is more for looks than practicality. I would agree that metal will be more durable, but it will also pick up more heat from the engine and transfer it into the airstream. How much I can't say and it probably won't matter much, either. What it might also improve is the overall flow since it shouldn't have the bellows to attach it to the filter box or the throttle body. Turbulence defeats smooth air flow (as we learned in that article ;)) and defeats efficient filling of the cylinders. The stock air intake also has a resonator chamber that is there to reduce the sounds that manufacturers think we drivers don't like to hear. (What? They think we're all sissies???) It seems like more money than I want to spend but I still might do it someday. No accounting for taste, eh?
It truely is a personal preference. If anyone came in here and said it was going to give them 10HP and 20 more MPG obviously they have been misled, i like the idea and look of a metal pipe, the increased airflow through a good filter, and the sound. i do feel it will add a HP or two maybe im being optomistic. Im not going to race it anyways, its a daily driver. I may only use a part or two of the CAI depending on hookup/how i feel/look/integration with current system and issues.

That said, my father and i will look at this today and determine if we need to buy a new sensor. I fimly believe he bumped it loose when we took the engine cover off.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I would have chalked it up to the cold air intake also, if it was installed. I just purchased it and it has not arrived yet. So this is all stock components throwing the code, and causing issues.

I see in this forum that many people are down on the cold air intakes. Im not expecting a miracle with this thing, i know better. its going to add 1-2 HP at best, but it is going to help the 3.9 breathe a little better with air outside the engine bay. there are two things that i dont mind spending a little money on. Not to mention a metal housing is much better than the plastic.
Sorry - purchased, but not installed, would have no affect. However, you DID mention it, so I made the assumption that it WAS installed.

As to the "with air outside the engine bay" - do notice the bottom of the airbox that the current filter is in. Run a flexible tape through the hole, and notice that it's ALREADY sucking air in from outside the engine bay.

I've seen a lot of so-called CAIs that suck the hot engine bay air in instead ...

That's one reason why so many are down on it - they aren't what they claim.

Second is that for it to do much good, you'll have to "tune" the software running on the ECM anyway.

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still have the same setup, the code cleared and everything was running great for a day. now yesterday, i started to accelerate from a red light, and the service TC light cicked on, and the check engine right after. The service TC light cleared. So we read the code at home and got PO113 (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0113)

We cleared it assuming MAS. on the way to the part store. The service tc light was on the whole time. i decided to turn off tc and then turn it on again. As soon as i hit the TC button to turn it back on, the check engine light came on with the same code, now im staring at this while i drive:

IMG_0196.jpg

How are these linked? or is there a strange coincidence that this is happening at the same time?

·
Registered
180 Posts
ok so Service Information says this about that code: DTC P0133: HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 so sounds like you may have a bad O2 sensor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok so Service Information says this about that code: DTC P0133: HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 so sounds like you may have a bad O2 sensor
I appreciate the feedback and time to look that up, but i think you misread/mistyped it. it is PO113 i put a link in following it in my original post.

I also came across this regarding an alero with pretty much the same issue (No TC mentioned)

I just came in from the cold, fixing the same problem you are talking about (P0113). My 3.4L V6 01 Alero was hard shifting with the Service Engine light on. The Diagnostic Trouble Code was P0113: Intake Air Temperature Circut, High Input. The Trouble Code P1111 is a similar problem: Intake Air Temperature sensor circut intermittent high voltage. Hoping for the easy fix I bought and installed a new IAT sensor (AKA: Air Charge Sensor) at AutoZone for $13.99, but it didn't help anything.

The problem was the wiring leading to the sensor had broken. The IAT sensor shares the same 5V reference voltage with the Coolant Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor. When the wire broke at the IAT Sensor, the TPS signal got messed up telling the computer to up the transmission pressure to "protect" the transmission. (Even though it felt like it was destroying the transmission shifting that hard)

The solution to the problem was to order a new IAT Sensor connector pigtail, GM Part #12102620/ AC Delco Part #PT307/ PICO Part #5616. I found mine at bmotorsports.com for under $8.00 after shipping. Stagger your cuts on the pigtail wires, heat shrink both butt connectors, and re-apply some electrical tape and you'll be back to smooth shifting in no-time!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Your_alero_2001_shifting_hard_check_engine_light_on_has_a_trouble_code_p1111_po_113_HOW_CAN_I_FIT#ixzz1u17UhTpC

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 Maxx LT and Im having steering issues now I know there was a power steering recall with this car and I took it to the dealer twice they said problem but it wasnt it's when I get up to about 60mph the steering wheel freezes but as soon as I let foot off the pedal it returns to normal I'm really concerned does anybody have any answers.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts