Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week without any warning signs my battery died (17,500 miles). Covered by warranty. The dealer stated that one of the battery cells was defective. Is this common?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had my 2018 Premier battery changed under warranty yesterday as well, at 18,600 miles. Thinking back on it, a few days before it was turning over a bit slower, more like a cold winter start up. I will listen for that more closely to avoid the midnight jump start after work.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
The batteries having short life used to be common among the 2016-2017 2.0T cars but I haven't read much about it in a long time - certainly not in 2018's. Get your free replacement, check the date on it and make sure it isn't a 3 year old battery they grabbed off the dusty shelf, and carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Batteries are a roll of the dice.
In my '16 Equinox only 3 yrs and dead. In my Tahoe I changed it at 7 yrs just so I wouldn't get stuck and it's on a maintainer for camper duty presently. My '15 Malibu still has both is OEM batteries.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very common. It seems that the battery life in general are reduced. Part of it is caused by the parasitic drain from the electronic devices. Battery tenders can extend the life of the battery, but even with these I've had failure even with the tender reading full charge. As someone said earlier, a cell or cells in the battery fail over time, causing the battery to die.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts