Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 3.5-year-old 2016 Malibu Premier with <17K miles in March 2019. The car had literally been leased by a "little old lady".
... anyway...
I had filled up a few times and the fuel gauge never read as full. Also, about a week ago, when the temps in Denver reached over 100 - as I turned off the engine with the "push-button" ignition - it left the radio and accessory power items on and read "Shift to Park" on the dash display.
Under the local dealer's used car warranty contract, they replaced the entire instrument cluster (part # 84217651: N-Cluster (09735-C) ), as well as the entire shift assembly - "Installed 13520829 SWL-N-CONTROL (0-4004-C)"

When I read my invoice and talked with the service writers, they told me that the solenoid that registered the "Park" position in the shifter was defective in these early 2.0 Turbo "Premier" cars. If you run to this issue out of warranty - you should try to get GM to cover at least part of the repair cost - This is a known issue.

With the gas gauge issue - the service order notes a repair order - #16-NA-164 which says to "Update the cluster" ... if that does not work to replace the cluster.

Just trying to pass along info from these warranty covered repairs of my 2016 "2.0 Turbo Premier"

S2

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
Thanks for sharing what sounds like a positive dealer experience! The "shift to park" and fuel gauge not reading full are indeed well known issues (with multiple service bulletins) and there are some lengthy forum threads discussing both issues. Funny about the "little old lady" that leased that car before you. Seems it is only sweet old ladies that lease every car. After they use the "little old lady" sales pitch, say "oh no, I can't get that one then, those old ladies floor it everywhere they go and never get oil changes on time!" See what previous-owner-stereotype-class is their 2nd choice!

Enjoy that car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be taking my 2016 Malibu LT in next week for the fuel gauge isse and will reference that service bulletin. At 44,700 miles my certified bumper-to-bumper expires next month so I'm trying to get all of these known issues taken care of. Already had the "shift to park" issue dealt with. I'll let you all know the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be taking my 2016 Malibu LT in next week for the fuel gauge isse and will reference that service bulletin. At 44,700 miles my certified bumper-to-bumper expires next month so I'm trying to get all of these known issues taken care of. Already had the "shift to park" issue dealt with. I'll let you all know the results.
So, I just got my 2016 LT 1.5 back from Durand Chevrolet; of course I filled it up the day before I dropped it of and the fuel gauge went all the way to full! I explained the issue though and they performed the instrument panel reprogramming specified in 16-NA-164 so hopefully this will fix the issue as my certified bumper-to-bumper expires next month.

1 - 4 of 3 Posts