Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2014 Malibu LT. I didn’t know it had the start stop feature. I’ve had it a week and now when it’s in auto stop the display screen goes black and radio turns off. When I start to drive again it comes back on. This should not happen. Does anyone know why this would happen and how to fix? The dealership just checked the battery and sent
me on my way. I’ve heard of driving in 6th gear but mine only goes to second gear. Any advice? I worry one day it won’t start back up at all

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the problem truly lies within the Start/Stop system, try the Trifecta tune. I haven't gotten it yet, but plan to this summer. On their website they have a start/stop override only or the full tune which includes the start/stop override. I also will sometimes shift into neutral when stopping. I've also noticed that if you don't put full pressure on the brake pedal, it won't shut the engine off. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I’ll try to explain. I have a 2014 Malibu LT. I recently discovered my car has auto start/stop. I do not like this feature.I know that you can bypass this by switching to manuel mode and pushing the +\- button to the highest gear and drive like normal . The only problem is it only goes to second gear. would I just keep the car in second gear or would it not be possible to drive mine like that since there as no higher gears for the highway or would it be ok to drive 60 mph in second gear?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,836 Posts
You can also put it in L to prevent the start/stop feature from activating.

Edit: See info below...

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,432 Posts
I’ve heard of driving in 6th gear but mine only goes to second gear.
You can also put it in L to prevent the start/stop feature from activating.
L6 works on gen9 but I'm not sure how it works on gen8. If @ericab can only get to 2nd while driving that is indicative of normal function or another problem. Need to know from another 2014 gen8 owner how it usually works. Gen9 is a more advanced range select system and gen8 might be manual shifting control.

I swore there was a bulletin for this specific problem (screen and sound off during auto stop but normal operation otherwise). I will check for it and post if I find it.

Speaking in general terms, based on my observations of the 1st gen dual battery auto stop system, I would gain access to both the under hood and aux and see the dates. If original, I'd replace both just as maintenance since they might be 6 years old.

EDIT: I found the bulletin I remembered. Re-reading the description of the issue it seems less relevant than I hoped but here it is: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164770-9999.pdf

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,836 Posts
L6 works on gen9 but I'm not sure how it works on gen8. If @ericab can only get to 2nd that is indicative of normal function or another problem. Need to know from another 2014 gen8 owner how it usually works.

I swore there was a bulletin for this specific problem (screen and sound off during auto stop but normal operation otherwise). I will check for it and post if I find it.

Speaking in general terms, based on my observations of the 1st gen dual battery auto stop system, I would gain access to both the under hood and aux and see the dates. If original, I'd replace both just as maintenance since they might be 6 years old.
Thanks for catching that, sir!

@ericab
I apologize for providing misinformation. It was not my intent, and I'm glad that @campb292 was quick to catch it and correct it for me.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,432 Posts
I was just browsing the forum and found a 2nd discussion by @ericab relating to the manual shifting mode and a description of how her car is working or at least behaving. To keep things in one location I moved that post into this thread and it became post number 3.

The question is does using the +/- allow for shifting to 3rd/4th etc or is it designed to only allow 1st and 2nd? The manual makes it seem like you should be able to control the shifts manually (given shift requests in the appropriate ranges). It will not allow for automatic shifting limited to a set number of gears like the L range select of gen9.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Put it in M when stopped to disable auto stop. It will not shift to any gear higher than 2 when stopped in M, what you read does not apply to this generation of Malibu's.
Did they check the battery in the trunk ? Battery in trunk is what runs everything when engine is auto stopped. I'd take it to another Chevy dealer, one with a better service dept. as the trunk battery or it's circuitry is at fault.
I'm running the full Trifecta tune in my '15 2.5 car and happy with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a '14 2.5L car. The "manual" transmission mode allows me to select any gear from 1 to 6 on it pending what speed you are going....you can't manually shift it into 6th gear if you are only going 10 mph, or you can't downshift into 1st when going 60 mph. If you have it in the manual 2 mode keep in mind that it will take off from a stop in 2nd gear. This is generally meant for low traction situations and okay for short term use but wouldn't want to do that all of the time. It will still upshift through the gears but the shift strategy is a little weird.

Can't 100% explain the dash going blank during auto-stop, but my first thought might be some sort of programming that turns off all electrical accessories if it senses low battery voltage to save power to allow it to restart. As mentioned above I would have the health of the secondary battery checked. My '14 has just under 100k miles on it and that battery has never been touched.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,917 Posts
Gen 8 manual mode "M" ≠ gen 9 range select "L"

Range select means you choose the highest gear and the car shifts automatically within that range. Manual mode means you control all the shifting by pushing +/- when necessary. Both eliminate start/stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a used 2014 Malibu LT. I didn’t know it had the start stop feature. I’ve had it a week and now when it’s in auto stop the display screen goes black and radio turns off. When I start to drive again it comes back on. This should not happen. Does anyone know why this would happen and how to fix? The dealership just checked the battery and sent
me on my way. I’ve heard of driving in 6th gear but mine only goes to second gear. Any advice? I worry one day it won’t start back up at all
Hello ma’am I brought an 16 Limited (must be last of that type) but mines doing same thing “for months now, they said it’s battery but I replaced it 3x since I had car and it’s still doing same thing” did you get information regarding this matter?!?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if it's related to the power from the backup battery or the main battery that goes throught he dual battery control module. It's complicated, but charts are shown as this guy diagnoses a P305F code. He checks the rear battery and the connections along with connections under the front battery, then goes to the module that switches 4? circuits between the two batteries. I thought the extra loads were switched from the main battery to the rear battery only for the time during the cranking. But there are fuses on the dual battery control module lines.

There are two videos, Part I and Part II. It may be part II where the charts and labels showing what power feeds do what during operation.

I'd expect your problem only to be during the crank restart, but maybe there's something else here.

Have you check for a code? Even if it didn't turn on the engine light?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My just started doing this yesterday. I took it to the dealer & they said it has to do with that ring that is around the neg battery terminal down at the bottom. Try changing that out. I am doing it next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2016 Malibu. I STRONGLY desire to permanently defeat the auto-stop. 98% of my driving is highway, and I have already replaced two (2) batteries. I do not wish to wear out the starter either. Anyone aware of a permanent way to defeat this? A link was posted above, but it was not functional for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,917 Posts
2016 Malibu. I STRONGLY desire to permanently defeat the auto-stop. 98% of my driving is highway, and I have already replaced two (2) batteries. I do not wish to wear out the starter either. Anyone aware of a permanent way to defeat this? A link was posted above, but it was not functional for me. Thanks in advance.
Go to News - trifectaperformance.com and buy one of their start/stop defeat options.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Judging by your picture of the Firebird I would spend a few bucks more and get the Trifecta tune.
I did my '15 2.5 car and no more auto stop and now how it drives and shifts if feels like it picked up 20-30 more ponies. I know it picked up only a couple ponies and for WFO operation it needs premium but it drives a lot more sporty than the family sedan that it is. For me getting rid of the ''eco'' trans. programing alone was more than worth it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Prob. won't make much diff. to you but you have a super duty starter in that little guy. Stop/start will not harm that thing. It was designed to handle the extra starts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I notice on my 2016 Limited if I dont push hard on the brake pedal the car wont go into auto stop. By adjusting my foot pressure I can pick which stop I want to shut the engine off at.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That problem with the auto start/stop feature sometimes lies within the dual battery control module that sits right on top of the battery. They're known to go bad for our cars with this feature. I have the same problem with my 14 Malibu: it's the module. They wont let you just buy the module either, you have to buy the whole fuse distribution block which is $400 from Chevy. At least my dealer wants that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts