Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience going for a G6 to a malibu or vise vera? I currently have a 2006 G6 sedan with the V6 and my lease is up in December. It has been a great car and I get about 30 mpg combined. To me though, it is just a boring car both in and out. I really like the malibu and am hoping to get one when my lease is up. I recently had a real quick test drive in an '08 with the 4 cly. and the 6 speed. The car was definitely slower and seems to shift too much, up and down. Not sure if the V6 would get as good as mpg as my G6 is getting or not. Thanks so much for any input!

Peter

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have a v6 and I just love the 6spd trans, it probably doesn t have to shift as much due to the larger engine. Drive a V6 before you decide. You wont get 30 combined but even the V6 gets very good mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the info! I definitely plan on doing some test drives! Do you have to know what trim levels the V6 with the 6 is available on in?

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 3.6 V6 is available in 2LT and LTZ trim. The 3.6 is a little thirstier than the 3.5 V6 in the G6, but has a lot more power. The 3.6 is used in the GXP G6 if you have driven one of those.
http://www.chevrolet.com/2008malibu/features/

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually, 30 MPG in a V6 G6 is pretty good. Don't expect the same from the 3.6L VVT V6 in the Malibu though.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Nah, the V6 in the Malibu was in the old CTS.
That was the first use, but now it's in the G6, Aura, Malibu, and the crossovers with the 6-speed auto, in FWD based form.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have both a new '08 Malibu 2LT and an '08 G6 GT coupe and would be glad to do some comparisons, which is actually a discussion going on in more boards than this one at the moment.

All that's been said so far is pretty accurate. Until more, think of the G6 as sort of an earlier iteration of the Epsilon platform with less refinement and polish overall, but still a solid & quiet car as is. It's just not to the level of polish--best word for it--as a new Malibu or Aura in terms of the interior, the ride/handling, or silence. BUT still a very refined car and after having the Malibu for 6 months, I was a bit shocked to find how quiet and smooth the G6 still was in comparison and it attracted me.

More to come, later. If you want a lower price and an overall sportier Pontiac look & feel, the G6 is a nice choice. But if you're familiar with the silence and subdued quality feel of the Malibu and Aura to the next level and like a slightly softer (though barely, and the solidity helps here) ride, less noise, and prefer the interiors, the Malibu/Aura are terrific.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't mind me asking, which other posts would that be?
People with the 4 cyl., does it seem like enough engine? thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have roughly 1,400 miles on my 4cyl 6spd and do not like the way the car shifts and takes so much to get up to speed. I feel like all fuel economy is wasted when I have to punch the gas pedal to get up to speed without getting run over.

Also, the car can be a bit jerky at times while shifting which is not very fun. I kinda wish I would have gotten the V6 which gets a little worse mpg but is much smoother.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I kinda wish I would have gotten the V6 which gets a little worse mpg but is much smoother.
A neighbor has the same wish. Problem is she didn't realize she bought the 4 cyl until after she had it for a week! :eek: She loved the color, so she bought it. Some people! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got the 4cyl with the 4 spd. It's no rocket ship, but you can work with it. I opted to save some money and get a little better gas mileage. Overall I'm very happy with my choice, plus since that drive train has been out for a while it should be more reliable. Yes more power is always nice, but with the money saved I'm looking to get a project car. Like a Fiero.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 4 cyl is enough for most of my driving. I'm sure if I was driving through the mountains, I would want more power. i went in buying the 4 cyl knowing it wouldn't be that fast. They are cheaper up front and get a little better overall mileage.

It also helps I still have a 300+horse Z/28 and a powerful motorcycle ~ more power than the Malibu and it only has to move a 400lb bike. The need for speed is met when ever I need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a regular 4 cyl, but I test drove a 4 cyl 6 speed and it almost made me not want the Malibu at all because of the harsh downshifts. My 4 cyl seems about the same as all my other cars except way smoother & quieter than my 99 Olds Alero when sitting in traffic, everytime I look down at my speed when I am on the highway I'm going 80. I only noticed sluggishness when I was starting from a deadstop on a steep hill and I had the AC going full blast because it was 100+ degrees that day or when I am trying to get to full speed after a red light/stop to get around someone. I don't have any problems merging on to the freeway etc. I drove the V6 but I didn't want to pay that much, and I'm used to 4cyl cars. I test drove alot of cars when I was shopping for a car, the only car that I think had more power as a 4cyl was the Nissan Altima, but I liked the styling and extra features on the 2LT Malibu more. I was close to a deal on an Altima, and when I was looking out the window at the Altima I couldn't stand the look of the front end of that car, plus it was missing Traction control, OnStar, heated seats, etc. and was more expensive than the Malibu.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think the 6spd is too much trans for the 4 Cylinder. Overkill. The 4 Cyl is fine with the 4spd trans//// I have the V6 and love the 6spd trans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 45 years old, and I wanted a highway cruiser with good gas mileage. The 4 is MORE THAN ENOUGH for cruising at 75 mph with the cruise control on. I know that I'm not going to have excellent passing ability, but so what.

Seriously, how fast do you need to go? And, don't let anyone tell you that it won't accelerate fast enough to get you on a freeway. The 4 cylinder is definitely safe to drive. BTW, I have a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I love, but I don't need all that power - and I end up using it because I have it.

Even if you need to do some passing, the 6 cylinder is still 2 more gerbils to feed 98.5% of the time. And, as you get older and wiser, you realize that you can wait 30 seconds for traffic to clear before you pass someone. Kick back, renew your XM subscription and enjoy the ride. You'll get where you're going in the same amount of time even if you can't beat that 19 year old in a drag race.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the 6spd is too much trans for the 4 Cylinder. Overkill. The 4 Cyl is fine with the 4spd trans//// I have the V6 and love the 6spd trans.
I test drove a 08 LTZ with the 4 cyl/ 6sp and wasn't impressed. The dealer let me take the car home to pick up my wife and come back to the dealership so I had quite a bit of time in the car. Earlier in the day I test drove a 2LT and had to pass a truck - the car downshifted much faster (the difference was significant) for a better passing experience. While I do mostly stop and go driving (I do have some highway travel when Rt 287 here in NJ isn't a parking lot) I just couldn't feel comfortable knowing I might have to wait 2 secs or more for some power to kick in when I need it. I'm not trying to drag race but there are times you need to get around someone quickly and that 2 secs can mean the difference between a close call and an accident. The 2LT I test drove is in my driveway now...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know the 4cyl engine is not for drag racing but you will notice a pretty bad downshift at low speeds, not a deal breaker but a little disappointing. Yesturday I tested out that when in manual mode I can drive on a road around 50 mph and get the car into 6th gear with my paddle shifters and I my DIC readout for current MPG is in the 70's.

I tested out whether or not the car in automatic mode would keep the car in 6th gear to get maximum fuel economy by getting the car into 6th gear(manually) and putting the cruise control on to maintain a constant speed/mpg readout. I then switched out of manual mode and the car instantly downshifted which decreased my current MPG by about 30 mpg. I know that the DIC is not 100% accurate but I feel like my average overall mpg would be greatly increased if the Malibu were allowed to coast in 6th gear at 50 mph instead of only utilizing the 6th gear on the expressway.

I am just let down by the EPA fuel economy numbers, I sold my Mazda 3 which averaged around 28 mpg and was rated 22/28 for my malibu which seems to average around 25 mpg and was rated higher at 22/32. I know the difference is not huge and the Malibu is a larger car so I will take that as my justification for lower mpg's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.