Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by our dealer yesterday and was chatting with the sales person who sold us our Malibu back in September. While in the show room I noticed that they had a Malibu and an Impala side by side. It reminded me that when we came to the dealership last September we were actually coming in to look at Impala's. But when we saw the Malibu and found we could have a pretty much fully loaded Malibu for less then we were going to spend on a basic Impala we ended up going for the Bu. Seeing them side by side yesterday reminded me of this and I was wondering if others were considering the Impala when they were looking. I haven't heard or seen many comments about the Impala but I'm wondering if the Malibu has pulled other Impala buyers away from that model. While I'm very happy with the Malibu I couldn't help but wonder how we would have found the Impala had we went ahead with our original plan and bought the Impala instead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last October, I was faced with the same decision.

My company leases cars for me under a 3-year lease program.

The Impala in question was a "luxury package" car. Nearly fully loaded, leather, sunroof, all power options. etc etc.

Ultimately, I went for the Malibu for its modern looks, handling, and newer chassis. Even though in my situation I gave up alot of options like a V6, sunroof, leather etc to get the 1LT Malibu, I am very glad I made the right decision.

Three years prior I test drove the Impala SS. While it has good power, it didnt feel connected to the road and the flat unsupportive seats were some of the worst Ive sat in.

My last reason for getting the Malibu was that the Impala appears to me as an old man's car and blends too much with other cars with its dry styling.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I never considered Impala, it's a pretty outdated platform.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I compared the two. Since my two kids are ages 2 and 6 months, I needed more room in the back seats. The Malibu has more leg room in the rear. It also looks better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was faced with this delima too. They were selling an 08 Impala LTZ for the same price as my LS. It wound up that I chose the Malibu and as we were signing the paperwork the salesman informed me that I qualified for a 4k$ discount so in the end it was the right choice. I LOVE MY BU!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Looked at an Impala SS while looking for an LTZ, as everybody stated the interior is dated and still looks like an old mans car ;) loved the V8 but the LTZ won out on it's new look and features, couldn't be happier :D:D:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never considered Impala, it's a pretty outdated platform.
Eighth Generation was introduced as an 2006 model - so this would be the third year of production. I agree they don't look as good as the Malibu but I thought they were still considered to be fairly current in design technology.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also considered an Impala. I went into the dealership and once I seen the superior styling of the Malibu I bought it over the Impala. I think I was drawn to the Impala for the fact that it has a lot more power but I would rather have a decent powered stylish car then a powerful plain car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought about the Impala also. After reading every car magazine AND Consumer Reports all agreeing that the Impala is an out-dated vehicle, and the Malibu is one of the top rated sedans by both sides of the automotive press, I had to go with the 'Bu. Just this past month CR rated the Impala in the bottom 10 least desireable cars, and in the same issue stated the Malibu is in the top 10 most desireable cars. It's very rare for magazines like Car and Driver to fully agree with magazines like Consumer Reports. Of course I'd driven both to make up my own mind.

On the other hand, my neighbors 80 year old dad is shopping the Malibu versus the Impala and prefers the Impala. Biggest issue: The 'Bu isn't the easiest car to get in and out of, while the Impala is pretty easy to get in and out. That's a major concern for some of our 'elders'. I recommended he find a one year old Impala and save 50-60% off the price of new if he had to have the Impala.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Eighth Generation was introduced as an 2006 model - so this would be the third year of production. I agree they don't look as good as the Malibu but I thought they were still considered to be fairly current in design technology.
New body and refinements still on what is a 20+ year old W-body platform underneath, and that has put limits on the wheelbase, floorplan, etc. over the years. It's just an older, less refined, and less sophisticated car but far from a bad one.

I compared the two. Since my two kids are ages 2 and 6 months, I needed more room in the back seats. The Malibu has more leg room in the rear. It also looks better.
Few people seem to get this, but despite being a larger car, the trunk is bigger but the back seat is lower, squishier, and has notably less leg and foot space than the "smaller" Malibu. A big part of that are the dimensional limitations of the old W-body platform.

Oddly, the last "boxy" version of the Impala from '00-05 had more seating and leg space thanks to a different layout, as many have commented on.

New body and refinements still on what is a 20+ year old W-body platform underneath, and that has put limits on the wheelbase, floorplan, etc. over the years. It's just an older, less refined, and less sophisticated car but far from a bad one.
---------------------------------

When originally shopping, back before I even had my G6, the Impala was never something I seriously considered BUT I did really like an '08 50th Anniversary edition version that just arrived late in the model year, and considered it. Still an Impala, but a special 2-tone interior and all the SS exterior touches but the efficient 3.5L, all of which mainly got me from a looks perspective.

I liked that specifically, but not enough and it was still an Impala. I still think of and always call it "the larger bargain car". It's bigger outside and in the trunk, built on old guts, and always has decent or piled on deals, but is a fleet queen more than some other models, lacking inside space in strange ways, and very pleasant but nothing standout styling wise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interestingly enough, I first became interested in a Malibu over the Impala after seeing them in the exact same situation--side-by-side in a dealer showroom.

I had gone into the dealer's to look at an Impala. Sure, the one there in the showroom was very nice, but the Malibu just had the feel of a much more advanced car. The LTZ on display also had automatic climate control, which the salesman told me wasn't available on any Impala. Since I liked that feature, that fact made a big difference for me.

A couple of weeks later, I rented an Impala for a trip I was taking and drove it for about a week. It was comfortable enough to drive, had lots of nice features, and looked good. But to me, it was rather unexciting. It just seemed so "ordinary."

When I returned from the trip, I stopped by a dealer and drove a 6-cylinder Malibu. Wow! After having driven the Impala for a week, the difference was quite marked. Here was a car which had a cutting-edge, energetic feel to it. I was hooked. Needless to say, I made a deal for a 2008 Malibu LTZ and have never looked back.

I was not familiar with the current-generation Malibus prior to stopping in to look at the Impala and, frankly, my impression of the Malibu (based on '07 and earlier versions of it) was not very good. It had seemed like a plain-Jane, "nothing" car to me. Had the dealer not had that '08 in the showroom that day beside the Impala, I could very well be driving an Impala right now.

Over 10,000 miles later, I still love my Malibu and know I made the right choice!

kc650

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just bought a new '09 Malibu last week. For a few minutes, I considered the Impala, only because it was actually advertised as less expensive than the 'Bu. But the Impala looks old and the 'Bu looks new. I'm sure the Impala is a nice car, but one week later, I'm very pleased with the 'Bu. The salesman also said that the 'Bu is a quieter car than the Impala. maybe the special glass they use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.