Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 2LT Malibu V6, which I love. It has tons of great features that most of us know about on this forum.

I went car shopping with my friend the other day and he is a huge honda guy and bought the 09 Accord Coupe V4, also very nice. There were a couple of features that I really liked on the car (dual auto windows, dual climate, subwoofer in back) and some things that I did not care for (the stereo set up and interface, the hood doesnt have hydrolic lifts, no car starter)

I would like to know what are some of the things that you have noticed on other peoples cars, especially the big name ones, Accord, Camry, Altima etc, that you wish where on the Malibu. Just curious:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Price! Chevy beat them all!

I think the digital readout could have been done better. I would like to be able to see the temp outside and trip at the same time. There should be another area for tire pressures.

Auto down on the window is nice, I would like auto up too. I have to show my ID to get on base, the auto up would be used everyday.

Having a small center pass through area in the back seat would be nice. I could then have the kids in the back and still get my fishing poles in the trunk.

I do not like having the cruise control on the steering wheel. GM had it on the turn signal stalk for years. Move it back.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
A minor thing that I think should be there - when auto headlights come on it's hard to figure out if they are on or not. A 05 Vibe that I used to own had a little light on the instrument panel which took the guess work out. A small thing but it does provide feedback on what automation is doing and whether it needs a manual override in, say foggy conditions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My ltz has the auto up features as well..

The only thing I would really like to have would be push button start.. Now Ive only owned base model cars before so this car is a treat to drive with all the added goodies

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad to hear that auto-up comes on the 2LT! That was one feature that I missed having when I drove the Malibu.

From my comparision so far, the Malibu still impresses me with it's styling inside and out, interior packaging, almost EURO-like driving experience (still slightly softer than a Passat) that rivals the Accord, Rivals the very best in terms of noise/vibration. Plus it has color combo's that up until now, only luxury cars offered which is a real plus in my book. The only thing that dissapointed me was the bass response on the base system and the user interface, but I warmed up to the user interface and some speakers would cure the lack of decent bass (this is subjective or course).

The altima is a 'friskier' car but I feel the build quality of the Nissan isn't what it used to be in the early 90's (think 1989-1994 Nissan Maxima, that is built like a tank), but the Malibu is similar to the Accord in terms of overall packaging and solid feel. Basically to me, it boils down to which brand you prefer. The Camry is a fine car, but I'm not use to marshmellowness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My ltz has the auto up features as well..

The only thing I would really like to have would be push button start.. Now Ive only owned base model cars before so this car is a treat to drive with all the added goodies
Funny, I don't like that feature - prefer the key myself!

I don't get the what the advantage is - I rented an Altima once and kept forgeting the key fob in the car. For me it was annoying....

·
Registered
37 Posts
On a last gen Accord you could lower the windows with the remote, nice feature in the summer. The key had the remote built in, not separate. Accord also had a great cupholder with a sping action to hold different sizes.

Camry will automatically unlock the car when you approach and has push button start. I'd rather do the work myself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I love the auto up, remote start, rear-mirror auto dim and 6-disc changer (optional) on my 08 2LT. The suede simulated leather is OK but I feel it is hard to maintain with the kids. The Titanum suede only looks good in bright light. In dark light, it looks a little dirty.

I hate the bowl underneath the steering. I am only 5'7" but my right leg keeps hitting it when moving to press the brake pedal. I don't understand what that bowl for and why Chevy let it take too much space!

This is my first "luxury" car as a cheap guy I had only base model :D .

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
On a last gen Accord you could lower the windows with the remote, nice feature in the summer. The key had the remote built in, not separate
Yes, but you could not raise the windows using the remote, (not on my 07 SE V6 at least). I don't think that feature was more than a sales gimmick - it was the first thing the salesman showed me - casually lowering the windows from a distance while we were walking to the car. I have not used this feature more than 2 times that summer. I would have to be near the car, obviously, I wouldn't want to use this otherwise for security reasons. It was a random and inconsistent feature striping somewhat typical for Honda. You could lower the windows but to open a sunroof you'd have to keep the button pressed until it opens completely. And no auto lights, it seemed silly in that trim that was far from basic. My base Vibe had that.
Malibu is way more logical and consistent.

Built-in remote....I really don't see the advantage of that :) Well, it maybe a bit smaller than a gm key and fob, but that's really it :)

Oh, just remembered a good one from Accord. It had a passthrough door in the back seat so you could take 3 passengers and some skis. Disadvantage being that the rear seat was not 60/40, all of it just folded.

Another one is the foot operated parking brake in Bu. Don't really see the advantage of that, the usual handle is a little easier to operate and takes very little space. Not a big deal though, at least has the american feel to it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, but you could not raise the windows using the remote, (not on my 07 SE V6 at least).
I believe this is a liability issue in the land of the free where you can sue anyone for what seems like anything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Our '04 Camry has a kinda neat little feature that when you shift out of Park, if any doors are unlocked, it'll lock them for you.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Our '04 Camry has a kinda neat little feature that when you shift out of Park, if any doors are unlocked, it'll lock them for you.
The Malibu does that too. In the DIC, you have the option of door locking/unlocking when moved into or out of Park, at low speed, or just turned Off from doing anything.

GM has done it like this for a while, with a choice, if the car has a DIC to change the setting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Malibu does that too. In the DIC, you have the option of door locking/unlocking when moved into or out of Park, at low speed, or just turned Off from doing anything.

GM has done it like this for a while, with a choice, if the car has a DIC to change the setting.
That is one feature I really dislike. My silverado had the option of completely disabling the auto lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Excellent :cool:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I have it on my 2lt. Btw this is something my Accord didn't have, I missed that feature, very convenient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another small thing that maybe not all people agree one but which I love is the trunk cargo nets.

My parents have a 05 Camry and the nets are right on the front when you open the trunk, so I always have to lift things over them so they dont get caught on the netting. However, I really like how the Malibu put those on the sides. It makes it more appealing...to me...and it doesnt get in my way!

·
Registered
512 Posts
What did I notice?

The Chevy bowtie and GM fender badges vs. the toyota sombrero and honda H.

Chevy FTW.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.