Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is no cleaning a MAP, it's not like the MAF which uses a hot wire to measure airflow by how fast it's cooling off from that airflow. Dirt buildup on the hot wire changes it's cooling properties. MAP is a air pressure sensor, when it's bad there is no cleaning. And unless you have a very high end scan tool that has a test program you'll never find it if no P codes are being set.
Experience on 5.3 MAP sensor has taught me well.
As Camp said loss of MPG is the first tip off, and at $25 it's cheap enough. My 5.3 sensor was $60, more than the MAF which was $25

please i went know location of map sensor for 2018 lt 1.5 .. and can cleaning it ..??

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,105 Posts
please i went know location of map sensor for 2018 lt 1.5 .. and can cleaning it ..??
I am not who you asked but perhaps this will help. MAP sensor and connector circled in green.

EDIT: There is also a 2nd "MAP" sensor behind the front bumper. It is technically called the Turbocharger Boost Sensor. I can't take a picture as it is not easy to get to (or get a reasonable picture).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
I do not know what sensor #2 is. I checked the parts diagrams at gmpartsdirect and they list it as a MAP sensor. They also list a MAP sensor in the location I circled above. Two different part numbers. That doesn't make much sense to me as the intercooler/charge air cooler is the opposite side of the engine as the intake manifold. Are there 2? I do not know. I'll investigate further tomorrow. Perhaps someone else will know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi
in new Malibu generation 9 we have two MAP sensor one near throttle body in intake manifold and other in charge air cooler
with different part number but same names MAP Sensor ... what difference between them and how i can read them by scanner tool ??
it's most be same value (pressure) or not ??

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Font Reflex camera

Font Camera Sleeve Electric blue Machine

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
@ispnot
The posts and responses from another thread were moved here to your new thread so it can all be kept together.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Defective MAP sensors have to be replaced. There is no cleaning them.
Hot wire MAF sensors can be cleaned, they are the only sensors that will or may respond to cleaning, all the other sensors are replace only.
Only a high-end premium scan tool may be able to read or test a MAP sensor actual reading.
2 different sensor locations and different part numbers means 2 different sensors. Way different air pressures being read.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
Thanks for moving these posts, @DrivenDaily. Keeps it nice and organized.

@ispnot: I searched for info on this 2nd MAP sensor with part 12650598 and cannot find it in the service manual. I looked over charge air cooler intercooler radiator removal condenser removal, shutter removal, inlet and outlet pipe... Everything up there and can't see a reference. The only MAP sensor I see is part 55569992 and installs into the intake next to the throttle body. Yet, I see the diagram from the gmpart sites and that other part. Have you gotten under the car to look at the potential location of the 2nd sensor? I may have a look but I bet the front splash guard is in the way and I probably won't remove that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for moving these posts, @DrivenDaily. Keeps it nice and organized.

@ispnot: I searched for info on this 2nd MAP sensor with part 12650598 and cannot find it in the service manual. I looked over charge air cooler intercooler radiator removal condenser removal, shutter removal, inlet and outlet pipe... Everything up there and can't see a reference. The only MAP sensor I see is part 55569992 and installs into the intake next to the throttle body. Yet, I see the diagram from the gmpart sites and that other part. Have you gotten under the car to look at the potential location of the 2nd sensor? I may have a look but I bet the front splash guard is in the way and I probably won't remove that.

i think the two sensors Complementing each other's work .. it's measures the pressure in PSI in charge air cooler and the pressure into the manifold if fond difference that is mean air leaking...
This is just an opinion
thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
I found it. There is a 2nd "MAP" sensor behind the front bumper on the driver side (under the battery sort of). It's under Turbocharger Boost Sensor which some sites call MAP because it's a similar part. You have to take off the front bumper to replace it. It's a 90 minute job. With tiny hands it may be possible to squeeze up in there and avoid bumper removal but by the book bumper comes off.

Thanks for stoking my interest in this. I didn't know there were two... now I have read 30 pages of system description and learned things today! Plus I know why that second sensor is so cheap! Pain to replace!

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. That is a parts diagram but doesn't show anything helpful or meaningful.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
Yes, #8 that is a good diagram. Are you looking to replace that one? Both?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, #8 that is a good diagram. Are you looking to replace that one? Both?
i think i will check the value of them in scanner tool before replace it because i need to know the pressure in charge air cooler is a same value pressure in intake manifold or not .

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Cooler sensor will detect turbo boost/pressure, engine sensor detects pressure and vacuum since it's after the throttle body. Different sensors that's why different part numbers.
Unless you have access to GM engineering to what they should read it's a guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.