Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I was dumbfounded on our trip to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico this past Christmas.
There we are riding back to our resort in some Chevy model that I have never heard of when all of the sudden...WHAM...a Malibu Taxi in Mexico! (Sorry, I couldn't get a picture) I have seen the picture of the Yellow Malibu Hybrid Taxi in NYC, but I was very supprised to see a new Malibu Taxi in Mexico. For those of you who have been to the Cancun area it was White with Green accents, just like the rest of the cabs.
I just thought it was interesting as I am hoping the Chevy does not turn the Malibu into another fleet vehicle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm starting to see them at Enterprize rental - not a good sign.

·
Registered
749 Posts
While GM is still fleeting these vehicles, they have even said that they cut the fleet production (before this whole economic crisis anyway) and they encourage those purchasers (like car rental agencies) to get the upper trims.. while I have seen them at... Avis I think.. I've seen them in the LTZ trims.. so GM is doing much better at managing fleet orders than the pervious generation.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Why is that????
Fleet sales are for the most part bad. However, the Malibu's been pretty controlled in terms of fleet sales, so a few rental Malibus aren't that bad.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok...so I was dumbfounded on our trip to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico this past Christmas.
There we are riding back to our resort in some Chevy model that I have never heard of when all of the sudden...WHAM...a Malibu Taxi in Mexico! (Sorry, I couldn't get a picture) I have seen the picture of the Yellow Malibu Hybrid Taxi in NYC, but I was very supprised to see a new Malibu Taxi in Mexico. For those of you who have been to the Cancun area it was White with Green accents, just like the rest of the cabs.
I just thought it was interesting as I am hoping the Chevy does not turn the Malibu into another fleet vehicle. :rolleyes:
Interesting. I was there last march and 99.9% of the cabs were the green & white Nissan Tsuru's, which if I'm not mistaken is a Sentra... which is what I drove when I was down there. Now I have a Malibu and am thinking of going back, so maybe they'll be using Malibus. Where did you stay? I loved Play Del Carmen SO much!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I was there last march and 99.9% of the cabs were the green & white Nissan Tsuru's, which if I'm not mistaken is a Sentra... which is what I drove when I was down there. Now I have a Malibu and am thinking of going back, so maybe they'll be using Malibus. Where did you stay? I loved Play Del Carmen SO much!
We stayed at Secrets Capri. It was great, the best all-inclusive I have ever stayed at! It was also adults only. :cool:

i rode in one of those Nissans too. I still dont know what the Chevy was called that we rode in??? :confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fleet sales relagate the car into a "not so special" category.

It also reduces the car's value because when these fleet cars get into used car lots they are sold cheap because the rental place bough them cheap to begin with, regardless of trim level.

Example - we bought our daughter a 2007 Cobalt LT last year for $10,000. One year old with 30k miles. In the showroom, they had an identical 2008 stickered at over $18,000.

If GM continues to fleet the Malibu you will see similar effects on prices and effect the image of the car, too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Fleet sales relagate the car into a "not so special" category.

It also reduces the car's value because when these fleet cars get into used car lots they are sold cheap because the rental place bough them cheap to begin with, regardless of trim level.

Example - we bought our daughter a 2007 Cobalt LT last year for $10,000. One year old with 30k miles. In the showroom, they had an identical 2008 stickered at over $18,000.

If GM continues to fleet the Malibu you will see similar effects on prices and effect the image of the car, too.

I really don't see how fleet sales will hurt the overall image of the Malibu, these fleet cars will be distinguished from the Malibu's the public buys. If you've thinking of the value, any dealer will look at the trim level of the car more than anything else, so it will be easy for them to tell if it's a fleet car but the value of the Malibu's the public buy won't be affected...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.