Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I viewed Larry King with Michael Moore as a guest.
My Blood pressure went the the roof when he said GM makes crap.
He specifically mentioned Toyota and Honda as builders of excellent cars.
As an owner of a 2008 Malibu I was livid.
Our Malibus are well made cars and in my opinion put the Accord and Camry to shame.
Chevy and GM has been starting to get there act together and doesn't deserve all the blame for this economic mess created by the Financial system.

What to you guys think.

Save GM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
GM's trucks are definitely some of the best around!!! As for their cars...i think that toyota and honda do put out a better car as far as lasting longer, and less problems. But the Mali is an awesome car, and well built; and slaughters the other two when it comes to styling and the kool factor. I would NEVER trade my 08 in for one of those cars.....ima die hard GM/Chevy guy! :cool:

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well said. The problem is the situation they're in right now with the lack of money and a public image that was JUST about to start changing on a larger scale...then the rubber band snapped back.

Now, as GM is the biggest and the one with the most financial trouble thanks to SO many issues--and issues that are so NOT just, as Moore said, "they just kept pushing only big gas guzzling trucks and SUV's down our throats"--they are getting poo poo'd on the most. The real issue is so different from what anyone, even decently intelligent, talks about or raves on for news ratings, that few have any real understanding of the situation.

They've made a LOT of mistakes, yes, and are certainly still not to where they need or want to be as far as products, profit (well...you know), etc., but the things being said on the news and even amongst a big part of the public are disconnected from reality.

It's just an awful situation. They do not build crap, even if there have been some exceptions to that in the past, and they do NOT just build "nothing but big trucks and SUV's". I love how, at least on the latter, all anyone ever talks about are images of rows of new Yukons and Silverados sitting on dealer lots from a couple of years ago as "see...look what they make", only never to mention that's just one product line and a leading one at that. Believe it or not, some people do still need and buy those big, "horrible" things...and, you know, most of the news commentators saying such dumb things are chauffeured to work and back in big, burly Suburbans and the like.

It stinks that they never got to marketing fully that, for instance, the Malibu/Aura are the only cars in the class with a 4-cyl/6-speed and the highest non-hybrid economy of 33mpg highway, not to mention being so highly rated and well done. Shame, but it happens. And cars like the Malibu, Enclave, etc. are just the start.

Every time you drive your new Malibu's, just think of THAT reality vs. what you see and hear crazies around you talking about, and spread that word. GM can be and is big and bumbling and has needed massive changes for a while, but the problems run very deep and explanations for them are not nearly as simple or horribly misinformed as every news channel, Brian Ross, your local radio DJ's, etc. try to make ratings out of. We just need a feasible plan that actually works, and not more of stringing it along trying to fight battles at every door from the UAW, to too much & too many of everything, etc.

This is what you need to know about GM and its top guys.

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/ceos-take-private-jets-beg-billions
A blast from that "making a story where a story doesn't exist" category. Everyone know looking at this and raging in the past few days needs to just sit down, relax, and stop watching the news. Like the deep issues I mentioned above, this is so NOT an issue and really is a corporate policy across the board, it gives an awesome headline but has no substance. "Hey, but they cry they have no money but have the dough to fly around in jets...", it's just not at all a problem in reality even worth blinking an eye at.

It's a shame Rick Wagoneer didn't have a more shut down response when confronted about this, but it is what it is. They're doing a LOT behind the scenes to cut where possible, but people are watching too much news and not buying anything--from ANYONE--because of it, and with the huge costs faced by GM and the others, the check book just doesn't balance right now. Hopefully it eventually will, as the core principles are and always have been there.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
To put it much more succinctly, problems and costs from the past still raging on, there is a road to success somewhere, and GM will not be going anywhere.

If they did, regardless of what misinformed people think, the consequences would be so huge everyone really would suffer.

Oh, and despite being entertaining and I think even making a few valid points--yes, really--Michael Moore was crazy with this. Problem is, his opinion is that of most who just don't know and listen/assume too much.

Drinking the Kool-Aid, whether for good or bad, is never helpful.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
This is what you need to know about GM and its top guys.

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/ceos-take-private-jets-beg-billions
Oh, and here's a perfect quote from Phil Lebeau who analyzes the industry everyday, on CNBC regarding the "planes":

Flying to D.C. on private jets was a pr blunder somebody should have seen coming. I have said on CNBC, and fervently believe, private jets are an essential tool for these CEOs. They shouldn't give up those jets, but flying in them to ask for $25 Billion (while warning that cash is running low) makes the group look arrogant.
And the rest...all dead on:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27821937

Not pretty, not easy, and already some PR blunders and not great selling of the case, but it has to happen, with proper monitoring. Now, let's hope they get a better presentation together over the next week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I want to support and buy American all the way. However, let's be honest. Most GM cars are not that great. Yes, the Malibu is an improvement but it's not enough to save GM. I've had the Malibu only a short while and so far, the steering wheel has been replaced, the sunroof makes some rattles (needs repair), and the defogger tab broke off the rear window so now the rear window needs to be replaced.

I won't even start in about the vibration in 5/6 gear because GM rushed this thing into production for the Spring Special.

Only a one month old. I wonder what will be next? Hopefull this is the end.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I want to support and buy American all the way. However, let's be honest. Most GM cars are not that great. Yes, the Malibu is an improvement but it's not enough to save GM. I've had the Malibu only a short while and so far, the steering wheel has been replaced, the sunroof makes some rattles (needs repair), and the defogger tab broke off the rear window so now the rear window needs to be replaced.

I won't even start in about the vibration in 5/6 gear because GM rushed this thing into production for the Spring Special.

Only a one month old. I wonder what will be next? Hopefull this is the end.
I got to agree.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Malibu has been back for a few minor issues with less than 5K miles.
Just took wife Outback(08) 14K miles back for the first time with a leak from a hose clamp. 2 min fix.
Wife s last car Merc Benz (50,000 miles) . Never went back until lease was up.
My 07 Silverado, back too many times to count. Is my wife just luckier than I am, or is what she says true, " I look for trouble?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love this car because it's the automotive equivalent of every woman I've ever gotten involved with.....Beautiful to look at....A blast to drive....And oh, so flawed._I know this going in.;):cool:

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
My only problem is a loose trim ring that is on the headliner around the sunvisor post. I have it replaced at my next oil change.

Exceeds my expectations! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Reputations,both bad and good, can be slow to change.Take Toyota.....When was the last time you've seen news reports of the Tranny problems with the new Camries, or the constant recalls for this and that.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Reputations,both bad and good, can be slow to change.Take Toyota.....When was the last time you've seen news reports of the Tranny problems with the new Camries, or the constant recalls for this and that.
Thank you. Or, aside from the transmissions--of which there are actually specific threads about still going on on places like Edmunds--are the misaligned panels, loose interior parts, rattles all over the place, etc. But, you know, it's a Toyota and the reputation is like that of God...no matter what.

I get tired of going through this with people who speak of the vaunted Toyota, Honda, and others. Have they and do they still make some great products, in one way or another? Absolutely. But they're not nearly the best nor they only companies who "get it", and anymore have been losing it. What saves their butts is the fact that they did so well for years when, yes, domestic vehicles were getting crappier and crappier, that the reputation was built and boy did it ever stick.

But you'll never hear that. You'll hear GM is crap, GM only makes big guzzling trucks and shoves them down our throats (really...when the heck did that EVER happen?), the cars fall apart, they look horrible, etc. You won't hear anymore about things like how terrific the Malibu is, let alone for the price, how incredibly well done the CTS is in every regard throughout, how well finished, refined, spacious, and efficient all the Lambda crossovers are, or even yes, how useful and high quality those nasty Suburbans and such are that the talking heads get shuttled to the studios in everyday.

You should read some owner reviews back to back for a good chuckle of such "reality". Looking at 2008's, here we go...in descending order...

Malibu (9.4/10) (Solid, quiet, comfortable, looks great...lots of ex import owners):
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2008/consumerreview.html

Accord (8.7/10) (Sporty & great 4-cyl, road roar galore, rattles, shuddering VCM system, flickering lights...lots of Accord loyalists):
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2008/consumerreview.html

Camry (7.9/10) (Soft & quiet, cheap feel, misaligned parts, creaks, rattles, shifting issues, transmission lag, more lag...lots of old Camry lovers):
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/2008/consumerreview.html

Nothing is perfect, for sure, and neither is the Malibu. But good lord, the big head discussion of this situation and especially GM is so misinformed it's aggravating to the extreme. They have problems. Money is lacking. Important products are still to come. Some products will need to end or assume much lower production numbers. It will work one way or another, and again, just take a look at or drive in your new Malibu to see that. Not nearly perfect, but probably the most impressive car in its class and price range, and even great not considering that class or price...the shock & awe I get when people see the dash swoops & trimming and the suede inside mine are daily examples.

·
Registered
59 Posts
BRAVO!:)

I've personally never owned a new GM product but am very proud of my 99 Malibu and 73 Olds. Both are well built, very reliable, perform well and are economical to operate overall (the 73 w/455 can get over 20mpg with finesse). The parts that do wear out are relatively inexpensive to have replaced and easily found (ever have to do a starter swap in the parking lot of K-mart on Xmas eve, in the snow/slush, so you can get home to your family 50 miles away - thank god it was a GM product with parts available everywhere).

Maybe I DO live away from a BIG city where things are 'different' but I feel that a lot of people want to see the american auto industry thrive. The issue is that the 'problem' is much larger than the current media image. I do not know enough yet to have any idea of what a REAL solution will be but I do think that some interim 'aid' should be given.

Dare I say - Import tarrifs or quotas............:eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Let's examine the case of Hyundai and it's little puppy Kia: From the beginning and throughout the 90's, and until the most recent generations, rightfully considered some of the biggest pieces of garbage on four wheels. But improving by leaps and bounds with every new generation(by copying japan), are now quite decent cars....But to listen to alot of people, both in the auto biz and civilian, you'd think it was still 1993.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Let's examine the case of Hyundai and it's little puppy Kia: From the beginning and throughout the 90's, and until the most recent generations, rightfully considered some of the biggest pieces of garbage on four wheels. But improving by leaps and bounds with every new generation(by copying japan), are now quite decent cars....But to listen to alot of people, both in the auto biz and civilian, you'd think it was still 1993.
Very true. Right now, and I left it out of the links above, cars like the Sonata have some of the highest quality ratings and really are assembled and refined to a premium level. They're only stumbles are still styling that's not distinctive or mish-mash copies of other cars, and some dull driving dynamics--especially with the Hyundai side of the family.

You really don't hear many speak about these brands much, though, they're just sort of the quiet B+ students off to the side.

With GM...it's just that darn image that continues to smash them. They were actually, I thought, starting to turn the corner and then the recent drops just threw the crap to the fan once again. News people started in and once talk of "that big old GM" came up, the only video clips used are those of big SUV's, people joke or put down the quality, say they have no clue what people want, etc. This all after a Malibu that was the North American Car of the Year & on the C&D Top 10 amongst countless other lists and offers a rich package at a great price, a CTS that is just a world class stunner in every way and now the image car of Cadillac, the Enclave and other Lambdas that--while bigger, yes--are beloved by many in the crossover market and the reviewers, etc.

I'm proud to own a Malibu that rolls down the road like a solid piece of granite, is near silent, has a 3.6L that purrs or screams effortlessly connected to a smooth 6-speed, has an interior that still has people asking me "wow, is that custom, the suede and everything, or just really expensive?", etc. Especially more so than a hideous, loud, and cheapened boat of an Accord, or a mush-bag Camry with transmission lag, rattles, cheap and flimsy interior, etc. No thanks.

Funny, huh, how you can have one God-like image car such as the Prius or the cheap (and horrid looking & driving) and efficient Corolla, teamed with your "everyone has one...no matter how sucky" Camry, and no matter what else you do or how those products degrade, once the good image was made, it sticks no matter what. GM had the image, lost it (rightfully so...mistakes aplenty for too long), but just oppositely for every 10 things done exceedingly right, 1 gets noticed by a few and the bash fest continues. It takes a lot of work to turn things back, obviously.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Two words: Toyota Echo.....Being blinded by their desire to be #1 in the world, they lost sight of the very thing that made them succeed in the first place;Quality Control.____Lord.I almost foregot last night's opening sketch on 'Saturday Night Live'.Did anyone see it?....The big three go to Washington for the meetings....Pure EVIL.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Two words: Toyota Echo.....Being blinded by their desire to be #1 in the world, they lost sight of the very thing that made them succeed in the first place;Quality Control.____Lord.I almost foregot last night's opening sketch on 'Saturday Night Live'.Did anyone see it?....The big three go to Washington for the meetings....Pure EVIL.
Yes. I actually remember, years ago, that being one of the first notable Toyota products that C&D noted as rattly, buzzy, and cheap feeling in their rants of a comparo test. Now a lot of Camry's are like that, among other drivetrain issues to boot, and other products are similar. They still have some great things, like their newer 3.5L V6 that has more power than just about anyone else's V6 and is still probably the most efficient real world, but more has gone to pee than ever acknowledged.

But you'll never hear such reality beyond a random magazine or public but quiet owner reviews such as on Edmunds. That's what a great reputation well founded for years does for you. GM could only wish for that, right now.

I often wonder what situation they'd be in right now if they had the Volt or something just equal to the Prius in all accounts several years ago, and not still waiting for it, what kind of a situation they'd be in and image they'd have. No telling it'd at least be better today, but who knows to what extent.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.