Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets start off with everything under car is starting to rot away. Water pump going for 2nd time. I bought car nov 18 with 107k and waterpump was leaking and dealer replaced it. Now 2 years later its going again with 122k. All the bushing are shot in rear and places are afraid to touch it because of the rust. Wheel wells are rotting away. Car didnt have any rot in wheel wells when i got it. Also It loves to drink oil. No oil leaks. Those were fixed. Sad that i paid 5k 2 years ago and car is falling apart. I had it checked out when i bought it. In winter i am always washing it when its nice enough to because of the road salt. Its due for inspection in November and was told it wont pass. So i am driving it hopefully till november as long as water pump dont totally let go. I am afraid to spend any money on it and have it fail due to the rust. The rocker panels are rotting away. Sub frame also. Going to be said if i have to let it go because of the rust. I had it looked over when i seen water pump leaking again and they told me its not worth putting any money into unless i am going to try and get rust taken care of. I cant see putting too much money into car. I am on a fixed income and sucks that a car 11 years old is all ready falling apart due to rust

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Malibu Premier
5 Posts
Sorry your used purchase has had a lot of problems. The bingo I see in the story is purchase in November 2018. That is primetime for flood cars to hit the market as it is just after hurricane season. Most of the stuff in your story is rust on lower areas of the car. Bushings, wheel wells, rockers, rust so bad mechanics are hesitant to work on it because what they take off may never get put back together.

·
Registered
127 Posts
These are common things with cars at that mileage. It probably will be better for you to cut your losses and go with another car as opposed to pouring money into your current car with on going issues. A couple of things I must say. In general I am happy with GM's improvements with the last two generations of the Malibu, in which I will include gen. 7. The Malibu's reliability has improved significantly over the past 12 years. Fit and finish has also improved. Gen 8 and Gen 9's electronics has taken a giant leap with safety features, good entertainment and reliability. Of course, even an improved car will be subject to age, wear and tear and other issues. It is very important that a car should be well maintained in order to continue to deliver service. Unfortunately, it seems that corrosion is still an issue (although improved). I always recommend underbody undercoating for new and newer cars, but it can be difficult for a used car. If you have a dirty underbody or corrosion that has started underneath a car, then coating it may not provide the protection that you need and/or you will have mixed results. Additionally, personally I tend to stay away from extended mileage cars when I shop for used cars because I tend to keep cars and drive them a long time. Typically cars that have lower mileage tend to have better maintenance and overall condition. I would encourage you to buy a new or recent Malibu on your next purchase, and hopefully you should get improved service and reliability out of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rhode island.Car was in mass its whole life. Car gone. It was not safe for the road :( . Subframe was rotted and when it bolted up not much was left. Sad to see it go. I liked the car but nothing i could do about it. I GAve it all the love i could. It went right into a car crusher :(

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,147 Posts
Such sad news. Let's all take a moment...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its very sad. I really liked the car. Gave a nice ride ran great. Ice cold a/c. But car was unsafe for road.They dont make cars like they use to. I paid 5200 nov 2018 and it didnt even last 2 years. They dont make cars like they use to. Its weird how in less than 2 years and just totally fell apart. I am afraid to get another gm after this one

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,658 Posts
everything under car is starting to rot away
Subframe was rotted
The rocker panels are rotting away.
All the bushing are shot in rear
Wheel wells are rotting away
places are afraid to touch it because of the rust
I don't read much about catastrophic widespread rust on gen7 cars so something unusual happened to this one. As others wrote, I suspect flood as everything mentioned is about 24" high and nothing above. Used doesn't always work out because you never know where the car has been and what it has been through. Since the car has been flattened by the crusher I guess we can close the case on this one.

Tough deal but good luck in the future!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.