Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there has been a weather change (from winter to summer), I'm experiencing a relatively strong mildew odor from the dash vents in my '08 Malibu when the fan is on. (I almost always have the 'outside air' selected instead of the recirculation option.)

Has anyone else experienced this in their Malibu's? Is there a known 'fix'?

·
Registered
307 Posts
start the car and turn on the heat full blast with the ac on (just like when you put it on defrost). (do this for several mins) and see if it clears it up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My brand new 2009 has this problem -- it smelled that way in the showroom. I can smell my car from 20 feet away (the smell comes from the cowling below the windshield). And it's really bad when I turn on anything blowing from the vents. They have sprayed special stuff into the vents and have even disassembled the cowling/vent system to clean it and spray it, but it has not solved the problem.

They did activate a "super blower". Anytime the AC has been on, after being parked for 30 minutes, my car now blows warm air through the system for a couple minutes to dry things out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<<< They did activate a "super blower". >>>

"They" being the dealership? Is the 'super blower' something programmed into the cars computer?

It's frustrating to learn your mildew problem hasn't been solved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea, my car has that nasty smell too but I don't smell it to often because I rarely use my air conditioner. I have always wondered what in the world was causing that smell.

·
Registered
97 Posts

"They" being the dealership? Is the 'super blower' something programmed into the cars computer?

Yes, the dealer did it. It's an option that can be 'turned on' in lots of cars. I've been walking by cars in the parking lot at the supermarket and heard it go on and wondered what the heck it was... now I know.

I have severe allergies so when it is humid out, I can barely drive my car without having sneezing attacks and eyes that water so bad I can't see. They *have* to get it fixed. I drove my Grand Prix 150K miles and never had a mildew problem. I really think it's a leak in the windshield or somewhere else... They told me it was because the factory tested the AC and it sat with moisture in the system.. then their special chemical sprays should have fixed it I would think.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

Yes, actually, it's called "after blow" and a programmable function in the system accessed/controlled by a dealer's Tech2 tool.

My mother complained of "the A/C stinking like wet socks" last summer and had hers in, after which they cleaned out the ducts and then, per GM info, turned the after blow feature on. So, now, after the A/C, etc. has been on and then the car parked, after a little time you'll hear the dash blower fans kick on full blast with the car just sitting there & run for a few minutes to "dry" things out. Very weird the first time, as it was never explained what after blow was, but now it's normal, mostly. No complaints of stink yet.

Pretty common issue in new cars with more and more compact HVAC and ducting setups and dealers are usually used to it. As ours first said, "you'll just have to occasionally spray some Lysol or something down in the vents and turn it on high, heat, etc. once every so often", at least before they did the work above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.