Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2012 Malibu 1LT with the 2.4L engine in Mocha Steel Metallic with 60k miles on it. The engine and color are kind of disappointing, but I bought it from a relative and the price was too good to pass up for a first car. I’m a high school senior about to go to college so I don’t want to drop a whole bunch of money on this car or do anything because honestly I haven’t absolutely no experience with cars besides driving. Any sort of guidance for aesthetic or performance modifications would be super appreciated, as I want something that makes it stand out a bit without going too overboard as far as difficulty and cost are concerned.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
I changed the title from "Ca" to be a bit more descriptive.

For performance, keep it stock. Really. The Gen7 2.4L doesn't like to deal with any changes to it before turning on the CEL.

For aesthetics, consider a paint correction with a sealer to help keep it looking showroom new. I did it to the first two I owned but not to my current one yet. (Embarrassed to admit it, too, but it is what it is.)

Maybe a tasteful pinstripe of gold or black.

Your Gen7 is already a beautiful car, so treat it like a beautiful girl. She doesn't need a lot of makeup, and only a little highlight here or there should suffice to make it stand out. What too many do is to go overboard with chrome accents, fart-can mufflers, and other things to attract attention, but for the wrong reason.

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
94 Posts
So I just bought a 2012 Malibu 1LT with the 2.4L engine in Mocha Steel Metallic with 60k miles on it. The engine and color are kind of disappointing, but I bought it from a relative and the price was too good to pass up for a first car. I’m a high school senior about to go to college so I don’t want to drop a whole bunch of money on this car or do anything because honestly I haven’t absolutely no experience with cars besides driving. Any sort of guidance for aesthetic or performance modifications would be super appreciated, as I want something that makes it stand out a bit without going too overboard as far as difficulty and cost are concerned.
First off, welcome to the community! We're glad to have you! Now down to business.
My Malibu is my first as well and I've had her for about 18 months now. I walked into it not knowing a lick of anything mechanical, just how to operate it. And I'll say I've learned way more than I ever intended to (but that's not a bad thing!). But I'll tell you what I wish I knew going into it. No one is going to care more about this car than you do. When someone spills something on those seats, or someone backs into her, you're gonna be the one most upset. When you finally finish that mod that you worked for 8 hours to put in, no one's gonna be as satisfied as you. You'll get what you put into her, and she has lots to give!
And that philosophy goes for the modding of the car. As far as performance goes, the best you can do is stay ahead of the maintenance. Now mine came in pretty rough shape mechanically, but I got her for a great price, and the body and frame were pristine, so I couldn't pass it up.

In the first month I had new tires, brakes and rotors, and a coolant flush done.
Within the first 3 I had the serpentine belt and tensioner, and the front wheel bearings replaced.
6 months in saw the front struts and the wiper motor replaced.
3 months later spark plugs, motor mounts, and half the steering column replaced, and the fuel injection system flushed.
Just 2 months ago I had the rear springs replaced.

At this point, practically the entire front end has been replaced. But she drives like a new car now. I never knew how much the mechanical neglect of that car was holding it back. And while I didn't personally do all the mechanical repairs, I know so much more than I did the day I bought the Malibu. And I take pride in the fact that it's very well maintained now.

As for mods, it's a family sedan. For me, any mods I do to it I run through the filter of the spirit of the car. I don't personally apply cosmetic 'performance' mods. A term you'll see online is RICE, or Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. But 98% of these mods don't fit the spirit of the Malibu. However, there's still a lot you can do to modify the Malibu to improve your experience with it.
I'm just wrapping up my long term project with the Malibu now, and am gonna try and do a photoshoot tomorrow night to commemorate. But my project was was to transform my 2LT into an LTZ, and I just recently finished the final item on the list to complete the transformation.
Not only do I have a much, much nicer car than when I started, I also learned SO MUCH along the way. Because while I didn't do much with the maintenance end of things, I did all the mods to the Malibu myself.
To name a few for the LTZ transformation:
Heated and Motorized Leather Seats
Functional Fog Lights
LTZ Style LED Tail Lamps (Obligatory picture) Weathering the Storm (2012 2LT"Z")
Dark Wood Grain Interior Trim
Interior silver trim pieces and door trims painted Graphite Silver Metallic
Cool White 6000k Interior LEDs + License Plate

Bonus Mods but not part of the conversion:
Cabin air filter
Apple CarPlay head unit
Upgraded Speakers

Now for your 1LT, you do have a bit more you will have to add to complete a similar transformation, but that just makes it all the more rewarding!
Leather Steering Wheel
Leather Shift Knob
Autodimming Rear View Mirror
Rear 120v Power Outlet

Just to name a few!

The long and short of it. You can definitely mod your specific Malibu, just not maybe in the way you initially expected. However, most of these mods that you can do will have some impact on your driving experience, whether that be the heated seats in the winter, or the autodimming mirror at night.
For a great place to start, check out @!Tommy 's profile. He's got fantastic write-ups on this project, and was the one who gave me the push to get started down this path. So yeah! Keep it a Malibu, as it will always be one! Treat it right and it'll treat you right back. And don't be afraid to have fun with it! It's your first car. You're gonna make a lot of memories with it, so buckle up because you're in for the best time of your life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.