Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I bought a V6 Malibu LTZ. Currently I am on my second tank of gas and have about 220 miles on it. My MPG is lower than I was expecting (about 15 in the city and 23 on the highway). I have been very careful to drive "fuel efficient." Can I expect my MPG numbers to increase once the engine breaks in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You know, I have been resetting the average MPG gauge several times a day to see if it changes much. Maybe I shouldn't be resetting this gauge?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
You know, I have been resetting the average MPG gauge several times a day to see if it changes much. Maybe I shouldn't be resetting this gauge?
You should just reset it when you fill up and let it go, or perhaps before you make a change in driving (i.e. after driving around town for a few days and about to take a highway trip, so see what you get on the highway). Also remember that the DIC is mostly accurate, but can vary a little vs. actual paper calculation when you fill up.

The Average MPG is meant to be left alone for a while, not reset daily. The best thing to do is to drive with the Instant MPG screen on and get a live readout at all times of what your current driving is doing to your mileage--and help you see learn how to work the throttle, etc.

Things will improve with mileage, as with any car, but not dramatically. In a 50/50 around town and 2-lane cruising 30 mile roundtrip daily in my ex '09 2LT V6, I never had an average under 20mpg since new and with 4k miles was getting a steady average of about 21.5-22mpg in my mixed, car was still new, driving. You can see my results from the first tank in my signature, at MPGTune.com.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well keep in mind that there is more fuel left in the tank than you think when you are first notified of the low fuel. My 1st tank on my V6 was bad. After your 1st oil change and some miles under the tires it will improve. When I'm on the interstate crusing on flat ground it gets about 30mpg at 60-65. At first it was much lower than this. I would only reset the avg MPG at fill ups if that often. It should get better, and this is pretty common.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Picked up my 2LT 4 Cyl in the deep freeze December, Avg 18.9 on 1st tank
(with lot's of pre drive warm ups) -14 degrees brrr.

I have not re-set the avg mpg setting,
Im up to 970 miles and on my 3rd or 4th fill up ,

the life time avg is up to about 23.5 Mpg.

I saw a signifigant increase on the last tank ,
it was 24.5 MPG when calculated out on paper.

Driving is mixed 40% Hwy, 60% city. :cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
My Lifetime Average now is 24.5 when I checked it this morning on the way to work.. Not to bad for the V6 I think and I like to race around a good bit :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Our DIC calculation has been at least .5 MPG LOW in the last 4 fill ups on the car. Dont really trust it and always do the calculation by hand as well.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I average 27.0 with my 08 2LT 4 cyl. Had it up to 28.5 with mostly freeway driving to work. It drops just a little with local city driving. But the bulk of my driving is freeway back and forth to work.

As reported in another message, use the instant mileage to get an idea of how to work the throttle. It's interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.