Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have developed a hole in the exhaust.
I hear that typical sound.
I am going to have the shop put on hoist for proper assess.
Now if it is a Muffler, what you all recommend for 2.4 ?
I don't want loud.
I heard flowmaster is LOUD. Lot of people with 2.4 4 cylinder engines goes with Magna flow. I am not sure what is the part # or even series.
Other choice I have is OEM style Walker muffler.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
The Magnaflow muffler is part of their full catback system for the gen 7 Malibu. You can look up the single exhaust and dual exhaust parts on the Magnaflow website and just buy what you need from the shop.

From what I've heard, the Magnaflow exhaust sounds very good on the 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it on the hoist!
and it turn out to be a leaking resonator
Shall I go with straight pipes or replace the resonator.
What would be a good candidate the for resonator?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Got it on the hoist!
I had straight pipes on my 2.4 with a Flowmaster Super 44 dual out in the back and I loved it. The sound was pretty deep and aggressive for a 4 cylinder but it was very loud and caused a lot of interior drone especially on long trips and it eventually drove me crazy. I'm not sure what the best candidate is in terms of exhaust systems because its all based on personal preference. I too have heard that Magnaflows sound really good. I personally like the chamber mufflers from Flowmaster, but then again I've had Flowmasters in every car and truck I've ever owned. Like I said, its all based on personal preference so its whatever you like!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have straight pipe with stock muffler. I can't tell the difference.
Well at idle it has some what deep rumble, beside that I can't tell the difference.
Old resonator has hole / crack of dime.
I just learned we have Two CATS. I was very tempted to take second one out.
But I didn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got it on the hoist!
got the same problem with my Malibu. The resonator is leaking. Did you put a straight pipe or buy a aftermarket resonator?

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I patched my leaky resonator with sheet metal and muffler sealer. It's a welded system and I'm not gonna do a cat back replacement until I have to. Only 182k miles on that crappy OEM system BTW LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I patched my leaky resonator with sheet metal and muffler sealer. It's a welded system and I'm not gonna do a cat back replacement until I have to. Only 182k miles on that crappy OEM system BTW LOL
Agree. But the way you did won't last long, the patch will fall off fast, I am thinking of going to shop just replace the resonator with straight pipe.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Sheet metal, heavier gauge galvanized, sealed with muffler sealer and held on with stainless steel hose clamps has been on for 10k miles now and still not leaking. Yeah it will need a system sooner or later but the longer I can make the system last the better. At 182k miles I don't even know how much longer I'll keep the car as I'm waiting for another fleet deal to come along as that's how I bought this car back in '12 with 75k miles on it for $6500 .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
tormalibu11
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing