Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s starting to fall off from the pipe . The muffler is hanging by a small piece and hangers don’t help. How much would it be to fix and what do I need a new muffler ? It’s a 2004 Chevy Malibu V6. The chipped rusted area is hanging by a small piece.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Looks like a busted hanger there looks like you need a new muffler... not sure if that pipe goes all tue way to the cat..... but you need a new pipe there....might he called the intermittent pipe...or I pipe....it needs to be replaced aswell.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,094 Posts
Mufflers rust out, it's very common to replace them on cars more than 10 years old.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a busted hanger there looks like you need a new muffler... not sure if that pipe goes all tue way to the cat..... but you need a new pipe there....might he called the intermittent pipe...or I pipe....it needs to be replaced aswell.
Thanks for all the info. Any idea in prices it’ll be for a shop to replace it and will they use the parts I bought ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
You will have to call one and find out...if a shop is doing it .... the prices will definitely be higher too..... rock auto is cheap.
Might be 1 or 2 h to replace

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have to call one and find out...if a shop is doing it .... the prices will definitely be higher too..... rock auto is cheap.
Might be 1 or 2 h to replace
Okay I’ll have to give a few calls and see. Think I hit a bump and it made the rust crack the pipe that’s connected to the muffler. It was already pretty rusted but that bump made it finally gave out. So unfortunate but it is what it is

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
16 yrs old, it's gonna need a cat back system. Rust never sleeps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good ol' GM reliability. They do you a favor by giving you an aluminized muffler, but skip to the cheaper rusty metal at the hangers and tailpipe. The exhausts on today's cars are so much better, there isn't even a comparison. See if you can get either aluminized or stainless replacement parts if you are keeping the car. I don't think it should run beyond $200. Good luck.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,501 Posts
That remark applies to just about every brand out there, not just GM!

·
Registered
138 Posts
That could be true, but it is an annoyance of the past. Today's exhausts are far better and longer lasting. Logically, why give your customers a long lasting aluminized muffler if the other parts of the exhaust are going to rust and require a replacement. Most of the time you'll end up replacing the muffler too. It was a practice that did not make sense and it may have been one of a million small factors that hurt GM's reliability in their cars. The exhausts are certainly better for today's cars so maybe they saw the light.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Back in the day there were muffler shops on every other corner. Lucky to get 2 yrs out of a muffler back then. New cars where 12/12 warranties.
I've taken OEM exhaust systems over 200k miles many times.
Most systems are welded together, separating a bad muffler from it's rusty pipe without hurting the pipe or the pipe being so thin that pipe breaking is right behind the mufflers failing is the norm. .

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
What is that ? Are you saying I can’t just replace the muffler ?
Maybe, depends on how thin the pipe is going to it. Most systems are welded together. At it's age it's about luck to get away cheaply.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Good ol' GM reliability. They do you a favor by giving you an aluminized muffler, but skip to the cheaper rusty metal at the hangers and tailpipe. The exhausts on today's cars are so much better, there isn't even a comparison. See if you can get either aluminized or stainless replacement parts if you are keeping the car. I don't think it should run beyond $200. Good luck.

Huh..... they still make exhaust out of the same crap.....take a look at how old that car is.....i still have the same exhaust as them.....came from the factory. How long should it last? Mine is shot as of this spring... who would waste money on a stainless system for a throw away car....most people own these for 5 years and move on. I can see it for their hobby car whatever that may be.... There are some exceptions on higher end cars coming with stainless stock...or even as an option on others... but at this point.....i definitely wouldn't bother

·
Registered
138 Posts
Huh..... they still make exhaust out of the same crap.....take a look at how old that car is.....i still have the same exhaust as them.....came from the factory. How long should it last? Mine is shot as of this spring... who would waste money on a stainless system for a throw away car....most people own these for 5 years and move on. I can see it for their hobby car whatever that may be.... There are some exceptions on higher end cars coming with stainless stock...or even as an option on others... but at this point.....i definitely wouldn't bother
I don't. Remember this is 2020, not '05 when GM was on the brink. Even toyo and Honda make better exhausts. My 8th gen Malibu, along with my other cars have either aluminized or stainless exhausts.....which means no freaking rusting anywhere. Listen, it might be a throw away car for you, and that's fine. This just means that you will be spending more of your money. I don't buy throw aways; Which means that my cars will last longer, serve better and continue to be the cars that I like.

GM is still learning. If you design a car to be a throw away, then your customers will treat you as a throw away company. This means that you'll never be taken seriously, and after awhile you'll be knocked out of the market because people think that you can't build cars. GM is a much better company than that, and they learned their lesson after '08.

Not to crap anymore on your gen's Malibu (you did enough of it yourself), GM took too long to put in real improvements, and by the time they got a lot of the equation right (7th, 8th, 9th gen), it seems that the majority of the market has shifted and doesn't care anymore. Moral of the story: Junk in, Junk out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I get you like your gen malibu lol...thats fine.... But the term throw away car is relivant to the malibu..... its not a benz....not a truck.... not a vette...which all examples people buy to hang on to...even to pass down.. It's somebody's basic transport for a while and they move on.... nobody grows up thinking ya i want a malibu.....unless its one of them old like 65 versions. ... nobody gets a tatoo or writes songs about them either. A girlfriend owns a 2019.... i wont go into the issues that are STILL wrong with them....and there is no reason to improve them it seems.... itsa good money maker for them...its definitely on the lower side of average for quality and design

Btw.... aluminized pipes rust..... and so doez 409 stainless....depends on the grade.... regardless there is a flex pipe that will be needing changing...

But in the case of the O.P .... get yer install prices from garages...see if they will even install stuff you buy ....from another source. .... like said above you may need the whole cat back done....if your pictures are indicative of whats further upstream in your exhaust system. Curious how bad the rest is.... you may be into more than ya think

1 - 20 of 25 Posts