Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6L motor. At the beginning of the year it went from my daily driver to a spare that my children will drive. I let it sit for a couple months and had to replace the battery and no I drive the car on my days off but this car has caused almost no problems for me. Recently it developed an exhaust leak on the flex for the front cat converter pipe, no big problem there is no emission testing in my county. Then the car started to idle poorly after it warms up and now throws the engine light on. I could feel a misfire in the idle and since the car had 135k miles on it I bought new plugs and coil packs. I still get the rough idle but no misfire and the engine light still comes on. I used a blue driver and the codes I get from the car are U0073, P0700, U2107, U2106 and U2105. I wondered if anyone else had this experience and how to deal with it as the codes talk about 3 different modules and before I get the parts cannon ready I would appreciate any help. The suggestions have both replacing the modules or wiring harnesses and I am wondering if there is a common thread between them that could cause these issues.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
When this happens, it's usually a sign of a battery that is or was weak. Sitting for a couple of months without being maintained by a float charger could be the whole issue, or just part of it.

Have the battery load tested.

Another thing you could try is to use the Blue Driver to reset all of the codes and then scan it a day later, a few days later, and/or a week or two later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The battery has good, clean, solid connection and 12.6+ volts?
The alternator is charging 13+ volts?
The ground wires, specifically the main from ECM to chassis are good, clean, solid connection?
The ecm\tcm connector has been removed, cleaned and reseated?
The wires have been wiggled for short tests and inspected at clamps, pinches and connectors?
Is the flex leak front or rear of the cat ? If it's in front, you need to fix it unless you want to destroy the timing.
Walker brand, has a flex pipe replacement that is 25\usd and exhaust shop is about 100\usd per flex pipe install avg..

This issue sounds like you may have intermittent loss of ecm signal because of ecm receiving bad power, overpower, underpower, and either by itself or from another module that interacts with sending voltage back to the ecm that may be shorted. Any other codes or more descriptions of history, part swaps, work done, noises, bothersome bs.. etc..
More history please. : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6L motor. At the beginning of the year it went from my daily driver to a spare that my children will drive. I let it sit for a couple months and had to replace the battery and no I drive the car on my days off but this car has caused almost no problems for me. Recently it developed an exhaust leak on the flex for the front cat converter pipe, no big problem there is no emission testing in my county. Then the car started to idle poorly after it warms up and now throws the engine light on. I could feel a misfire in the idle and since the car had 135k miles on it I bought new plugs and coil packs. I still get the rough idle but no misfire and the engine light still comes on. I used a blue driver and the codes I get from the car are U0073, P0700, U2107, U2106 and U2105. I wondered if anyone else had this experience and how to deal with it as the codes talk about 3 different modules and before I get the parts cannon ready I would appreciate any help. The suggestions have both replacing the modules or wiring harnesses and I am wondering if there is a common thread between them that could cause these issues.
The ECM ended up being the problem. Bought a rebuilt with vin programmed one off ebay. The only thing was I had to do a crankshaft variation relearn after installing the new ECM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts