Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most have that one toy that's their weekend warrior/garage queen, and like most of you, I use my Turbo Malibu as my daily driver.

That being said, my toy is my 2007 Trailblazer SS. I bought it used in 2008 with only 9k miles on her. She now has 60k miles and is pretty heavily modified. She's RWD and dyno'd 427 rhwp/418 ft lbs tq with a best 1/4 mile time of 12.5. I've done everything from cosmetic upgrades, down to completely swapping motors. I am a valued member of the dreaded spun bearing club that the SS' are known for with their terrible oiling issues. She now has a crate LS2 motor from GM that has head work and is cammed with all supporting mods. She's stalled, tuned, with long tube headers and a full Corsa Exhaust, lowered on 22" Chrome reps and is a pretty good sleeper until you hear her :laugh:

Here are some pix and vids...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,550 Posts
That's a damn fine automobile right there. Running mid 12s is smokin fast in an SUV! Sucks it needed that engine swap, but sounds like quite a beast now, and all sorted out for reliability.

One of few family vehicles that can get away with that Corvette emblem, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a damn fine automobile right there. Running mid 12s is smokin fast in an SUV! Sucks it needed that engine swap, but sounds like quite a beast now, and all sorted out for reliability.

One of few family vehicles that can get away with that Corvette emblem, too.
thx man! Not in street trim of course, i have to swap my 17" radials and shed some lbs (seats, speaker box) for me to dip into the 12's, but for a 5,000 lb vehicle... i'm happy with the outcome. It's actually the 4th motor in the truck :surprise::surprise:... long stories behind that... all swapped at the dealer too :grin: I had an extended bumper to bumper warranty on her but if I could go back and do it all over, I just wouldve paid for things out of pocket and did it once and be done with it...

As for the emblem... ehh... i was young once :laugh:.. I've had the truck for 11 years now and in my 20's I thought it was "cool" to put that emblem on... it has since been taken off now that I am older and have a ton more knowledge on LS based motors and respect for vehicles, it just doesnt fit the vehicle...

Nice SS btw! Took a test drive in one of them while all the motor swaps were going on and i was having a decision to trade in my truck or not... those sedans boogie!

·
Super Moderator
4,550 Posts
As long as a car has a Corvette engine in it and real performance intentions, I'm not going to judge the Corvette emblem, haha.

The SS sedan is a hell of a lot of fun. It rewards you for grabbing it by the scruff of its neck and breaking the rear loose, that was a weird feeling to get used to. It's totally comfortable being driven like an action movie, to the point of feeling more natural that way versus driving normally, and I'm by no means some veteran race car driver.

My old 3.6L Malibu drove and handled very well for a FWD sedan, but felt progressively less confident as you pushed to 7 tenths and beyond.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey I’m in the spun bearing club too!! Looks good man!! I have a turbo Malibu as my DD too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I’m in the spun bearing club too!! Looks good man!! I have a turbo Malibu as my DD too lol

welcome to the club! :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very nice. I have an '08 that I've owned since new. It isn't a daily driver (I take care of 'SS models and special edition cars). I love my malibu too, but it is my daily driver so that I get to pamper my other girls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! I see you have a pretty rare color for your SS in the black granite. The imperial blue's are pretty rare too and the superior blue's are even more rare. Definitely unique vehicles to say the least

·
Registered
99 Posts
These were great trucks. The TBs were definitely trendsetters in the genre. They stood out against its competition with the perimeter frame, good ride characteristics, towing, and performance. Its too bad that such an animal no longer exists with SUVs. TBs are holding their value as well; Most TBs in the market have over 100,000 miles, and finding a mint, low mile example is like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Funny you should mention it, when I first saw the TBSS I wanted the lighter blue. I later settled for Imperial Blue, that is until I test drove my future truck. I liked it well enough, but when I saw them putting it away the color grew on me, and at the end of the day I changed my mind and had to have the Black Granite. The rest, as they say, was history.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice tbss... Luckily i haven't joined the spun bearing club but years ago pretty sure i had a piston ring issue in cylinder 7 (common issue with the ls1) but picked up a rebuilt motor for cheap. Well anyway good to see another LS enthusiast on here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It certainly shocked me when i spun a bearing. I only had 38k miles on her when it went. I thought for sure i'd have tranny issues before the motor. I was stocked when it spun a bearing, but luckily i was under warranty still, so while i had the headaches of the dealerships, at least all the motor swaps were "free".

The lower mileage ones are certainly great finds, and stock is even more rare... With how theyre holding their values, I have to admit, I've given it a thought or two about letting mine go... Time will tell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah crazy when i had mine happen!! Mine wasn’t free! :(. Yeah I’ve been thinking about selling mine. They sell fast. I want a CTs-v or a Chevy SS.

·
Registered
99 Posts
knock on wood mine is ok. I take it easy and I change the oil so I've been lucky. I can top that: My friend had a Maggie mounted on his TB for at least 4 years and did not blow his original tranny. The trick is to double back on the torque management when you tune. He's still running on the original motor too, no spun bearing!

That's how a truck should run. Get in and drive etc. Who has time (or money) to fix????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah crazy when i had mine happen!! Mine wasn’t free! :(. Yeah I’ve been thinking about selling mine. They sell fast. I want a CTs-v or a Chevy SS.
Yea I bought a GM extended warranty before the factory 3/36 ran out. The irony in my situation was the fact that it took them 4 motors to finally get me a good one! Loooooooong story behind that lol...

knock on wood mine is ok. I take it easy and I change the oil so I've been lucky. I can top that: My friend had a Maggie mounted on his TB for at least 4 years and did not blow his original tranny. The trick is to double back on the torque management when you tune. He's still running on the original motor too, no spun bearing!

That's how a truck should run. Get in and drive etc. Who has time (or money) to fix????
these pigs are definitely hit or miss. There are folks like me who blew up in stock form, then there are the heavy hitters with no problems at all. Still a fun truck to drive and a head turner to say the least.

·
Registered
99 Posts
^They sure are. I love mine to death. A lot of people abused these trucks back in the day (just like they abused ls1 Camaros), so a lot of their problems stemmed from jughead racing. However, there were still some gremlins that were caused by GM's well known quality quirks. All and all, these are great driving, well behaved and dependable trucks that will continue to gain respect and value over time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^They sure are. I love mine to death. A lot of people abused these trucks back in the day (just like they abused ls1 Camaros), so a lot of their problems stemmed from jughead racing. However, there were still some gremlins that were caused by GM's well known quality quirks. All and all, these are great driving, well behaved and dependable trucks that will continue to gain respect and value over time.
I sure hope they gain value. They are certainly getting more and more rare. Between all of the thefts in MI, CA, CO, and TX, all the way to the chopped up molested mods/projects, and total losses from accidents or demolition... I'd say there is a good chance they hold their values

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea they were stealing them over here and in Atlanta, Calif. etc. Texas too. People don't appreciate things until they're gone. Jugheads go wild with just the mention of LSX......all that power and they can't drive in a straight line! Lol!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts