Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I officially have my first issue, and it is NOT a good one!!!!

From Sunday afternoon through to last night, I have noticed a loud "ticking" sound (sounds like a compressor pump, or something I have somewhat isolated it to the back left side in front of the passenger) It does not do it in Park, only when the car is in drive.

At first not such a big deal, figured I would take it to the dealer to have it checked out, unforunately though as I pulled it out of the garage last night to wash it, the dreaded check engine light came on :eek:....It has now stayed on all morning on my drive in. :(

Going to call the dealer this morning and see when I can get it to them to check it out.

Will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That sucks. You shoudl have had On-star tell you what's causing the check engine light

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try On-Star - They are pretty useless....they actually can't read the codes, it just tells them something is wrong!

Have an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow....I really hope it is nothing serious.

*sniff* *sniff* - My poor baby!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Try On-Star - They are pretty useless....they actually can't read the codes, it just tells them something is wrong!

Have an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow....I really hope it is nothing serious.

*sniff* *sniff* - My poor baby!
Maybe in Canada they're useless but they're the shit here in America! They haven't been wrong yet for me!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pepsi - Do they give you the code? When I called yesterday morning....She told me she was reading an error message, asked if she could email it to me, but to no avail no email.

Well it is scheduled to go in this morning, so I will update as I get information.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
yes, keep us posted please. hope they address it properly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE - Just got off the phone with the service department

It would appear my purge solenoid was / is bad....It is being replaced....Now the next question is, if by replacing the purge solenoid my "noise" has gone away....Waiting for a call back on this one.

Probably going to get the oil changed by them while it is in there, although I like to do my own. For $35 would be nice to get the first one done and out of the way. It has about 2700 km's on it so far, so it is over half way.

Will update once I know more about the noise.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lee - Not sure about the U.S. builds, however apparently in Canada as I have been told by the dealer, Canada has more stringent emissions laws than in the U.S.

The suspicion was that it was something "emissions" related. I believe (but could be wrong) that the purge solenoid is a release valve in the emissions system to assist with back pressure.

I meant to add this to my other posts....

Interesting observation on my way home last night, usually my fuel economy (not the instant) reading is about 8L / 100km, however last night I was running about 11L to 12L.

Pissed me off because she was sipping the gas back like tequila shots in Mexico!

I will try to find out some more information when the serivce guy calls me back. Seems like a nice guy, my wife deals with him more than I as he is close to her work.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Anyone know what this part does?
I downloaded this and haven't read it in its entirety yet, so don't scold me if this is the wrong article.

Evaporative (EVAP) Emission Control Systems

Since gasoline vapors contain HC, these vapors must not be allowed to escape from the fuel tank to the atmosphere. In the EVAP system, a hose is connected from the top of the fuel tank through the tank pressure control valve (TPCV) to a charcoal canister. Gasoline vapors from the fuel tank are stored in the charcoal and then purged into the intake manifold when the engine is running under certain conditions.

A fresh air line is connected to the charcoal canister. Some EVAP systems have a fresh air intake directly on the bottom of the canister with a filter in the air intake. EVAP systems vary depending on the vehicle make and model year. Always obtain the exact system details from the vehicle manufacturer's service manual. A canister purge solenoid is connected in the purge hose from the canister to the intake port near the edge of the throttle. The PCM provides a ground for the canister purge solenoid winding to operate the solenoid.

How the system works

The PCM energizes the canister purge solenoid and allows vacuum to purge vapors from the canister under these conditions:

150 seconds have elapsed since the PCM entered closed loop.
Coolant temperature is above 176 degrees F. (80 degrees C.).
When the PCM is not enabling injector shut-off, such as on vehicles with traction control while one drive wheel is spinning.
The idle contact switch in the IAC motor is open.
Vehicle speed is above 20 mph.
Engine speed is above 1,100 rpm.
The engine metal temperature sensor is not indicating excessive temperature.
Low coolant level is not indicated.
If any of these conditions are not present, the PCM does not energize the canister purge solenoid, and the gasoline vapors from the fuel tank are stored in the canister.

When the engine is running, intake manifold vacuum is supplied to the TPCV valve. This vacuum opens the valve and allows vapors to flow through the valve into the canister. When the engine is not running, the TPCV valve closes, and fuel vapors are contained in the fuel tank. If the tank pressure exceeds 15 inches of water with the engine not running, this pressure forces the TPCV valve open and allows vapor flow to the canister.

The canister contains a liquid fuel trap that collects any liquid fuel entering the canister. Condensed fuel vapor forms liquid fuel. This liquid is returned from the canister to the tank when a vacuum is present in the tank. This liquid fuel trap prevents liquid fuel from contaminating the charcoal in the canister. The EVAP system reduces the escape of HC evaporative emissions from the gasoline tank to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Will there be a test tomorrow? :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE - Well all is well with my baby now....seems it was a "dud" of a sensor that was causing all my issues.

Got the oil changed at the same time, and now things seem back to normal.

Fuel Economy is getting better, and no more "ticking" noise!

My baby is happy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.