Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu 2.5 engine 4 cylinder everytime I come to a stop sign it cuts off I have gotten water pumps , pretty much I have done everything but bought a motor .

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,765 Posts
Step 1: Have the trouble codes scanned, write down the code(s), and share them here.

I'm not sure how a water pump has anything to do with the engine cutting off.

Please take a picture of your tachometer (or the whole instrument cluster) and post it here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. No check engine light. 2.5l Ecotec. I've changed both exhaust and intake solenoids. I've cleaned MAF sensor. I run seafoam cleaner through it. I checked the torque on all the intake bolts. I've changed spark plugs. I've changed air filter. I've had it in to the dealership and they told me 'they couldn't recreate the problem' I can't figure it out. It'll start rough some days. It'll start smooth others. It seems though that the hesitation and stalling happen more often when it's been driven for awhile that day. I'm running out of ideas. I'd hate to sell a perfectly good car otherwise with only 100k on the odometer. It's been a great car aside from occasionally dying on me.

·
Administrator
19,765 Posts
@Adamson54
Yours has DI - direct injection. If you do some looking around you'll find that a common issue with DI is gunk building up on the intake valves. When you read how those vehicles ran until they were cleaned, see if that fits your issue as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Adamson54
Yours has DI - direct injection. If you do some looking around you'll find that a common issue with DI is gunk building up on the intake valves. When you read how those vehicles ran until they were cleaned, see if that fits your issue as well.
Yeah, I have read a lot of those threads. It seems like a pretty common issue that a lot of people are having a hard time coming to a definite solution for. Like I said originally, I've run seafoam's GDI cleaner through the intake 3 times and once I ran CRC. I thought since they both come highly recommended I'll try either one. I'm going to call the dealership today and see if they have seen this issue themselves. I tried taking all the fuses and relays out of the ECM and draining the power last night. An attempt to see if the adaptive shifting or the adaptive throttle body would be causing any problems. I didn't expect much to come from it but I did want to exhaust all options. Like I said, it's a great car. It's comfortable, handles great, runs smooth as butter and has decent power for such a small motor. I just can't get past it stalling in gear, if I got that figured out I bet it would last me another 10 years or more.

I'll update later today once I hear from the local dealership. I've taken it to a different dealer that couldn't 'recreate the problem' and even though it chatters when it fires up some days they tried to tell me they all start that way. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,453 Posts
@Adamson54
Have we ever actually read a report on this forum of a poor running engine being fixed by a carbon cleaning?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I talked to a couple shops with reasonable diagnostic prices. I'll take it in and see if I can get some answers. I'll update from there.

·
Administrator
19,765 Posts
Have we ever actually read a report on this forum of a poor running engine being fixed by a carbon cleaning?
Looking around can include non-CMF sources.

I don't recall seeing it here on CMF, so that's why I was less specific about where to look around.

@Adamson54
It would behoove you to check the internet in general to see if there are any reports where cleaning the intake valves actually helped. I've seen one YT video where the owner did it himself and mentioned how much cheaper it was than a shop, but I am not sure if it made it run better. That cleaning was done using crushed walnut shells, not chemical.

While it seems intuitive that cleaning it would help it to run better, not everything that makes sense actually makes sense for real.

It also pays to do some research, which @campb292 has already done. The chemicals in the non-approved products could void the engine warranty!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking around can include non-CMF sources.

I don't recall seeing it here on CMF, so that's why I was less specific about where to look around.

@Adamson54
It would behoove you to check the internet in general to see if there are any reports where cleaning the intake valves actually helped. I've seen one YT video where the owner did it himself and mentioned how much cheaper it was than a shop, but I am not sure if it made it run better. That cleaning was done using crushed walnut shells, not chemical.

While it seems intuitive that cleaning it would help it to run better, not everything that makes sense actually makes sense for real.

It also pays to do some research, which @campb292 has already done. The chemicals in the non-approved products could void the engine warranty!
Right. I've done quite a bit of research. I've tried just about everything I've found. The thing is there are a lot of scenarios of this happening with these cars but as far as I can tell there are no clear fixes. Some people claim cleaning the throttle body helped but that it went back to the same. Some have talked about swapping the ECU and that's helped for awhile, but in other cases it didn't have an effect. I used a chemical treatment but I don't have a scope to actually look down in there and see if there was an effect. The car is driven daily so I don't have the luxury of taking it apart and inspecting the internals either. If either of the shops I spoke to can come up with something I'll definitely be sharing it. This is the first auto repair on all the vehicles I've owned that's become chasing a ghost for everyone that's having the symptom to no avail. I've never not been able to fix something or find a solution in the past. That's why I keep asking and checking to see if someone else has. I'll keep at it though, like I said it's a great car and has a ton of life left if I can get this one problem solved. If I do, I'll post to the forum so in the future others can find the information and make the repair themselves. It's paints me in a corner because I don't want to sell a car with a problem no one has a solution to and replace it. I also don't want to keep a car that can't be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Forgive me if I am missing it, but I'm not seeing much of an issue description here. The first post says "car cuts off" then a follow-up of "same problem". When your car cuts off or stalls, I assume the engine shuts off. When this happens, does the instrument panel stay on? Radio still on? Or does the engine stop and everything turn off?

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgive me if I am missing it, but I'm not seeing much of an issue description here. The first post says "car cuts off" then a follow-up of "same problem". When your car cuts off or stalls, I assume the engine shuts off. When this happens, does the instrument panel stay on? Radio still on? Or does the engine stop and everything turn off?
Everything stays on.

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
And if you have a scanner hooked up when it happens no fault DTC is thrown, right? The car is unable to log or realize it shut down without a command?

·
Registered
11 Posts
And if you have a scanner hooked up when it happens no fault DTC is thrown, right? The car is unable to log or realize it shut down without a command?
I haven’t thought about having it hooked up while it happens. But it doesnt throw any codes otherwise. Ill try that thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Possible issue is a bad relay or the relays connection in it's junction block. If a relay has a issue it will not set a code as it's failure just kills power to what ever it powers so no code will be set. Just like it was ''turned off''.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this wasn’t on a Malibu,
(It was actually on a Pontiac Gran Am with the V-6.
I had it in many times for the same issue

Finally a mechanic (I heard he was located in Florida)
Had the same thing
Ended up being a small crack in the throttle position sensor

once it was changed
I ran it for 5 yrs before I sold it
Never a problem after that :- )

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu 2.5 engine 4 cylinder everytime I come to a stop sign it cuts off I have gotten water pumps , pretty much I have done everything but bought a motor .
How many miles on it (I am assuming you are around 100k) ? How does it run the rest of the time? Given the age, vacuum leaks and EGR valves are likely choices. Cleaning the MAF is never a bad idea.

Are stop lights a problem, or just stop signs :) ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same problem. No check engine light. 2.5l Ecotec. I've changed both exhaust and intake solenoids. I've cleaned MAF sensor. I run seafoam cleaner through it. I checked the torque on all the intake bolts. I've changed spark plugs. I've changed air filter. I've had it in to the dealership and they told me 'they couldn't recreate the problem' I can't figure it out. It'll start rough some days. It'll start smooth others. It seems though that the hesitation and stalling happen more often when it's been driven for awhile that day. I'm running out of ideas. I'd hate to sell a perfectly good car otherwise with only 100k on the odometer. It's been a great car aside from occasionally dying on me.
Adamson54
You may want to clean the bottom of the throttle butterfly valve, which there normally is a slight gap at idle. Despite your cleaning, you may still have some gunk on it which inhibits idle airflow (causing the stalling).

·
Registered
15 Posts
When replacing the exhaust and intake phasers (VVT solenoids) make sure you use OEM parts (AC Delco). Changing plugs with NGK or Denso is recommended. Also, Seafoam is okay, but use BG 44K and BG MOA to really clean out the engine. Cost more, but you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts