Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adamson54
You may want to clean the bottom of the throttle butterfly valve, which there normally is a slight gap at idle. Despite your cleaning, you may still have some gunk on it which inhibits idle airflow (causing the stalling).
Exactly! I use a toothbrush, clean lint free rag and throttle body cleaner.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,762 Posts
A word of caution on TB cleaning:

With the motorized "drive-by-wire" throttle bodies, spray the rag and then wipe the TB. If you spray into the TB, excess fluid could get into the TB actuator and damage it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This should be an easy fix. The throttle body needs cleaned. And the fuel trims need reset by a shop.without resetting fuel trims it still thinks there is a leak and computer is trying to compensate for this still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A word of caution on TB cleaning:

With the motorized "drive-by-wire" throttle bodies, spray the rag and then wipe the TB. If you spray into the TB, excess fluid could get into the TB actuator and damage it.
True and being a later model it’s more likely to have a motorized throttle body that moving the butterfly could cause the pcm to have to relearn the position or you might even need a OBD2 bidirectional scanner capable of doing a throttle body adjustment. However, I have never had an issue, and have been quite aggressive at times, even after hand cleaning, having someone spray cleaner into the throttle body while I push the gas pedal to keep it from choking out. The car should automatically relearn the throttle body position. However, to avoid any issues since you probably don’t have a way to reset the throttle body, disconnect the battery before moving the butterfly and cleaning it. the “butterfly“ opens inward so if you push in on the top of the butterfly it you will see the buildup of grime at the bottom, it does take some pressure. In your case I would recommend disconnecting the battery before moving it.

·
Administrator
19,762 Posts
In April 2019 I visited a buddy who is a dealer service tech. He checked my vehicle over and cleaned my TB for me. He did it without disconnecting the battery, and since he's a competent technician, I would then to think that disconnecting the battery before moving the butterfly is not necessary.

However, if that is needed, simply unplugging the TB should provide the same level of non-feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on the Malibu. Had it in the shop today. He cleaned the throttle body again, like I already have. He also cleaned the MAF like I already have. He said he couldn't find any codes. Hooked it up to the computer and everything looked completely normal. He was stumped. Here's to hoping he had the magic touch and got it back to normal for me. I did notice an earlier reply said something about replacing VVT solenoids with ACDelco parts. When I replaced mine I grabbed whatever Autozone had and put them in. The ones I got seemed to be slightly different, if the issue persists the next thing I'll be doing is swapping those for some AC Delco ones. Fingers crossed! I really love my Malibu and I'd hate to part with it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,487 Posts
Aftermarket VVT solenoid replacements are a known problem. Put ACDelco solenoids in it.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced the VVT solenoids. I drove it all over the place. Let it sit and run for a long period of time. Drove it some more. No issues so far! Tomorrow it'll go for an hour and a half of highway driving and that'll be the final test. It starts smooth now. Runs excellent. Don't buy those junk solenoids people! Car thinks they're operating fine so there's no check engine lights or anything. Lesson learned. Appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
19,762 Posts
Replaced the VVT solenoids. I drove it all over the place. Let it sit and run for a long period of time. Drove it some more. No issues so far! Tomorrow it'll go for an hour and a half of highway driving and that'll be the final test. It starts smooth now. Runs excellent. Don't buy those junk solenoids people! Car thinks they're operating fine so there's no check engine lights or anything. Lesson learned. Appreciate the help!
Thanks for letting us know and any future readers as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How's your car doing? I'm going through the exact same problem right now. The dealership mechanics can't seem to figure it out. Once I get the car back I'm going to try changing VVT Solenoids as well. Hopefully that solves the stalling problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
How's your car doing? I'm going through the exact same problem right now. The dealership mechanics can't seem to figure it out. Once I get the car back I'm going to try changing VVT Solenoids as well. Hopefully that solves the stalling problem
Runs awesome. Make sure you get ACDelco solenoids. Don’t get aftermarket like I did the first time. That’s what gave me the issue and since the car reads that they’re actuating it won’t throw a code. Swapped em out and it runs excellent now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Malibu to where it shuts off when I come to a stop light and idling sounds kind of rough so I will also try changing my Vvt Solenoids to see if that fixes the problem because dealership won't fix it because they don't know what it is. But it seems like the exact problem I'm having.

·
Administrator
19,762 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Malibu to where it shuts off when I come to a stop light and idling sounds kind of rough so I will also try changing my Vvt Solenoids to see if that fixes the problem because dealership won't fix it because they don't know what it is. But it seems like the exact problem I'm having.
Start first by reading the codes, not by loading the parts cannon.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts