Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat broke. I was laying in my seat during my lunch at work, and I went to get up and the seat is stuck laying down. Is there any way to fix this? Can I get a new seat? Where can I find one? haven't seen many of these in the junk yard and I can't seem to find any online for less that $150, are there any seats from other cars that might fit?

· CMF Veteran Member
1,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:) I guess you've tried lifting the recliner lever and, at the same time, pushing down on the seatback hard. It needs to go back a little for the recliner mechanism to release.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,134 Posts
Or lay back down in the seat, lift the lever, then pull yourself up using the steering wheel.

Sounds like you may have sat up first then lifted the lever, which is what Starship and I are both offering suggestions about. I'm not as strong in the upper body as some and haven't had good luck with the pushing, but if I lay down on it it works. Go figger, eh?

· Registered
1 Posts
I currently own a 2012 Malibu, and I'm 6"3', 210 lbs average tall male. So I went to sit in the drivers seat when all of a sudden the right side of the seat popped and the seat fell back. After a few attempts to maybe fix the issue and a trip to the dealer, come to find out my seat is broken. Apparently a wire in the back of the seat broke, and now requires a new assembly. Made an attempt to GM 800, and to no avail $1,300.00 for a new seat.

Being I don't have any plans on trading in the car, and if I did, I would take a huge hit on the seat, where can I get a seat similar to what I currently have and how hard would it be to put it in myself?

· Registered
68 Posts
When I put an aftermarket seat in my 05 Malibu it ran about $1,000 for the seat and a custom bracket to be fabricated so no cost break on the aftermarket side.

Possibly somone could weld the back into a fixed back at the desired angle for a couple hundred $.

Your not going to find a 2012 in a pick a parts place.

If you were feeling really adventurous find a car at an insurance auto auction with heavy damage and take the seat and part out the rest and see if you can make your money back.

Example: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?itemID=20528718&RowNumber=29&loadRecent=True

This car has a certificate of destruction so it cant be put back on the road even with repairs.
$1,200 plus fees for the car, take the drivers seat, wheels look in good shape and would sell for a couple hundred at least, ebay any good body panels, etc.

There are a few sites like this, some require a dealer license, others do not, many times you can have a small dealer buy it for you under their license for a fee.

Hardest part is finding one close enough that transportation of the vehicle wont be a huge problem and a place to store it while you part it out that your wife/landlord/parents wouldnt kill you.

I will add that I have never done this but know a couple people on the grassroots motorsports website that have.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a broken driver's seat as well. When it broke, it almost felt like support spring, or s-type piece similar to the underside of a couch support that acts as a main support, gave way. It's the rear portion of the driver's seat.
Reading some of the other threads leads me to believe there is a bigger issue going on with these seats though, maybe a weld?
I'm bringing to the dealer this Friday but want to be prepared before I go in there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.