Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out these pictures from an accident I was involved in last Friday. I was sitting at a dead stop on I-75 before the I94 interchange in Detroit, MI. I had passed this street sweeper about a mile back. I had barely enough time to look up in my rear view mirror and see him barreling down on me about one car length back. The police estimate he hit me doing at least 55mph. He hit me so hard that I was pushed into the car in front of me, up on its bumper, we then pushed that car into the car in front of it. After that, we somehow came dislodged and the momentum carried me up the enbankment as you see in some of the photos. The car was a 2008 Malibu LT. I actually had a 12" sub in a box with an amp in the trunk... when my father and I went to the tow yard to recover some things, we COULDN'T EVEN FIND THE SUB OR AMP it was soo destroyed. I was told by ever person that saw the accident that I shouldn't have even lived.... but get this.... my driver side door OPENED!!!! I literally just got out and stumbled up the hill. Let this be a first person testimony to this cars safety in a crash. Also.. the car I hit in front of me was a total loss too according to my insurance adjuster.

Heres shot one a fireman took for me (i was in a stretcher at the time):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47928097&l=1d418744b0&id=2242759

Here you can see how far up the hill we went after smashing two cars:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47928105&l=9214b68bd7&id=2242759

Front end damage from the tow yard:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47979990&l=c910861a0a&id=2242759

Rear end damage in the tow yard:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47979993&l=67981339fa&id=2242759

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Wow. One of the worst I've seen, ever, in any car.

Yet you're here posting about it, after your door was able to open and all...there's a testament to the Malibu, big time. Wow. Incredible. In pain from the impact?

Oh, and WELCOME, by the way. Hopefully this can get all sorted out, and you'll have another before long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow,
your guardian angel is good,
Glad no-one was in the back seat.
Good choice driving the new Mailbu,
can't wait to hear what the street sweeper driver has to say.
Had you changed your tires, they look very different from mine?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Holy shit!!! Glad you're okay! Did your OnStar system still operate? Good thing you were the only one in the car it looks! I've been passing street sweepers all week.. after seeing this I'll tolerate being stuck at 35mph in a 50.

·
Registered
749 Posts
btw I think you might want to consider a new title for your thread I was expecting to see a few dents and scrapes haha

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow! Good thing nobody was in the back seat! Looks like you'll get $ for a 2010 Malibu and something else from the State for sure. What was his reason for hitting you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Beach - yeah my neck, elbow, back and shins were messed up for about the first week. After that, I was feeling fine so I started to wash my replacement car and cracked a rib, so I'm dealing with that now. However, I pretty much walked away with just some bumps and bruises.

I pretty much got the exact same car again, except it's an '09 with about 3,000 less miles. It ran me about $16.8k out the door but is actually costing me $20 a less in payments (lower interest rate). I still have $1600 coming back from insurance so that'll re-tint the windows and go in the bank.

bf1942/slhaas - From what I heard the moron saying, his "brakes went out". In reality, he had a good 1/2 mile before he should have been stoping (anyone with their CDL knows this). Otherwise, he could have downshifted or moved to one of the other 4 open lanes. Also, generally air brakes fail locking up, not the other way around.

As a general update: this just goes to show how much I LOVE Michigan no fault state laws. Apparently it is not likely I will meet what is called the "Injury Threshold" our state has set forth. Basically you need to be "severely injured, maimed, or disabled" to file for major settlements. All the lawyers I've talked to want to follow through with the incident, but I don't really see much in it for me.

If anyone has any further questions, let me know and I'll try to answer. And again, thanks everyone for the kind words.

·
Registered
35 Posts
glad to hear you made it out o.k.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
:eek: Wow. That ruined my day. Depressing. Glad your okay and were able to get out on your own. If it were me I just might have beat the crap out of the sweeper driver. Accidents happen. People make mistakes. In this case if that thing does infact weigh 14000 lbs he needs to be a little more responsible. Brake failure or not theres no excuse for that except inattention and excessive speed.:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow! glad to hear that you did make it out ok.

im curious like tmoney, did your onstar activate?

·
Registered
100 Posts
God must be watching over you dude. Glad your ok. There's no two ways about it, the car saved your life. There is no excuse for this kind of driving!!! I see it all the time, truck drivers with their 18 wheelers of death, driving them as if they were in the Daytona 500, bump drafting behind the family minivan with mom, dad and the kids in it, because it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight. This piece of human debris needs his license revoked. no more playing intimidator for street sweeper billy bob. And it was in broad daylight!!!!
Thank god there was no one in the back seat!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh, one other thing.

Lets see, my brakes are out, do i

1. put my truck in a lower gear, run it up on the embankment till i stop which will avoid hitting anyone?........ or

2. do nothing and plow directly into the back of the car ahead of me?.........or

3. maybe, I'm just not paying attention......

Answer: Human debris.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
This is absolutely shocking. Extremely glad you escaped with minor injuries only....

·
Registered
701 Posts
WOW - Those pictures are scary! Glad to hear you walked away. As others have stated did your On-Star activate?

Keep us update on what happens with the other driver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys,
I'm sorry but I really don't remember if OnStar went off or not. The rocket scientist that hit me didn't shut his motor off after we came to a stop... additionally his radiator fan was grinding on the radiator. So a diesel motor in my back seat, a grinding radiator fan, and my gas tank leaking was enough of a symphony where I probably wouldn't have heard it anyway. I bailed out as soon as I could.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everyone seems to praise how well the car held up, but I gotta say, I'm a little surprised the body separated and peeled up from the "frame" or Unibody in the rear. Looks as though the rear bumper of sorts wasn't touched. Shouldn't it have retained the integrity a little better....at least not stripped itself completely from the Unibody? :confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Everyone seems to praise how well the car held up, but I gotta say, I'm a little surprised the body separated and peeled up from the "frame" or Unibody in the rear. Looks as though the rear bumper of sorts wasn't touched. Shouldn't it have retained the integrity a little better....at least not stripped itself completely from the Unibody? :confused:
You need to think of what hit him though. It was a 14,000 pound street sweeper travel at roughly 55 to 65 mph. The physics associated with that is insane. The momentum the street sweeper hit the car with was equal to roughly 910,000 pounds. A full size truck wouldn't fair much better. You also have to think about the fact that the Malibu was pushed into another car, which added a countering force on the front. if somebody was in the back of that thing, they would be gone, but thankfully there wasn't. This isn't the type of crash that manufacturers and the NTHSA think about when they crash test cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.