Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a 1.5T LT, and these have to be the biggest waste of Brembos on a car ever. But still.....wanted to see if I could do it, and I did. Success! Factory 18" RS wheels are shown, but I also tried the standard 17" LT wheels on it and they fit fine. Pretty sure there is enough radial clearance for the 16's too.... FWIW, the clearance between the caliper and the spokes on the wheel are about 1.5mm! Yikes! Its close, but I had some waterjet cut rotor spacers to move it out if need be....and to center rotor in caliper better. Its skewed about 1.5mm back towards the rear of the caliper....

Rotors....320mm (vs stock 300)
Calipers: 4 piston fixed brembo's
Pads: At the moment, stock factory pads. EBS reds to soon follow.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,987 Posts
I can't say that there's ever anything wrong with bolting on better braking performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just have a 1.5T LT, and these have to be the biggest waste of Brembos on a car ever. But still.....wanted to see if I could do it, and I did. Success! Factory 18" RS wheels are shown, but I also tried the standard 17" LT wheels on it and they fit fine. Pretty sure there is enough radial clearance for the 16's too.... FWIW, the clearance between the caliper and the spokes on the wheel are about 1.5mm! Yikes! Its close, but I had some waterjet cut rotor spacers to move it out if need be....and to center rotor in caliper better. Its skewed about 1.5mm back towards the rear of the caliper....

Rotors....320mm (vs stock 300)
Calipers: 4 piston fixed brembo's
Pads: At the moment, stock factory pads. EBS reds to soon follow.

View attachment 69168
How much did the brakes cost?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think you meant the Regal GS, that car has dual piston brembos.
2018-2019 Regal TourX and SportBack

2018-2019 Regal offers 3 different size rotors. Brakes with RPO code J60 are the same size and what we have on Gen 9 Malibus. On the Regals, brakes are also offered with RPO codes J17 and JQ5. To compare front rotor size, J60 outside diameter is 300mm, J17 outside diameter is 321mm, and JQ5 outside diameter is 345mm. Brembos are RPO code JQ5

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,544 Posts
@cp-the-nerd is right about Brembo on the GS. Regal Sportback and TourX had no brembo anything, not even an option from the factory. Only the Regal GS was offered with Brembo JQ5.

Screenshots of RPO order guides from 2019 Regal sportback and TourX attached.

Attachments

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two variables you need to watch with these... Mounting hole spacing, and the position on the spindle relative to axial location of wheel center. These have 5" spacing and I had to use a 320mm rotor with the Malibu spindle. Stock is 300mm (note, depending on which catalog you read, these can be +/- 2-3mm)

The larger 345mm will not fit with the backspacing on the Malibu wheel bearing. You can change that, but a lot of other things have to change as well.

Oh, and please note... The bolts that hold the wheel bearing on are torque to yield (grrrr....) so either get new GM ones or like me, upgrade to ARP . Yes, more overkill 😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you meant the Regal GS, that car has dual piston brembos.
You mean quad piston, right? These have two on each side.... Four pistons total. And I seriously think a set of CTSV or Z06 six piston calipers would work also.... As I have swapped the 4s for 6s on my Camaro, and it was a plug and play.

Now THAT would be a waste of brake power on a economy mid size. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very nice! I have a few questions. Roughly how much do you have into the setup? Have part numbers for the rotors used? Any pics of the back where the caliper bolts up? did the caliper mount right to the spot for the stock caliper and you just had to use the little spacers to center the caliper?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Total? Maybe 600 or so....

I used power stop rotors, for an 18 Equinox.

No pics of the back... I'll try to get some this weekend. Stock brake lines fit perfectly, although you'll also need the correct banjo bolts for the calipers.... Different thread 10x1.0 vs 10x1.5 stock. They bolted up perfectly with no mods to spindle. Stock bolts were correct size as well. Using the rotors I did ended up with the caliper maybe 1.5mm to far to the outside, but that's within the margin of acceptability. Not perfect, but it works fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Total? Maybe 600 or so....

I used power stop rotors, for an 18 Equinox.

No pics of the back... I'll try to get some this weekend. Stock brake lines fit perfectly, although you'll also need the correct banjo bolts for the calipers.... Different thread 10x1.0 vs 10x1.5 stock. They bolted up perfectly with no mods to spindle. Stock bolts were correct size as well. Using the rotors I did ended up with the caliper maybe 1.5mm to far to the outside, but that's within the margin of acceptability. Not perfect, but it works fine.
Thanks for the info, $600 isn't bad at all! So the rotors,calipers, pads, and banjo bolts was all you had to get? That's pretty cool.

I have '04-07 CTS-V Brembos on my firebird and that was pretty easy too. Cool that GM makes a lot of this stuff interchangeable whether they mean to or not lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, two other things I did also.... Needed 12mm wheel spacer so the stock wheels would clear the caliper... Which they do with about 2mm clearance (!). The stock wheel studs could have worked technically, but I wasn't comfortable losing 12mm of thread engagement, so put some longer ARP studs in for peace of mind.

The package works great.... And pedal travel is no sotp difference than stock. Master cylinder volume is fine. And the amount of brake force is about double the stock calipers.... Based on surface area of stock 1 piston vs upgraded 4piston. You can literally lock up and activate ABS on dry pavement with some moderate to heavy brake pressure. With stock tires. A better tire would give you even better performance...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As requested... Pics from behind the caliper. This is before I installed the Arp bolts to hold the wheel bearing in

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
You mean quad piston, right? These have two on each side.... Four pistons total. And I seriously think a set of CTSV or Z06 six piston calipers would work also.... As I have swapped the 4s for 6s on my Camaro, and it was a plug and play.

Now THAT would be a waste of brake power on a economy mid size. Lol
The Regal GS uses dual piston brembos, which is the car I was talking about. 4-piston brembos like the ones on the Camaro SS and my car use 4 pistons per caliper, two opposed pairs.

What kind of Camaro do you own?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Regal GS uses dual piston brembos, which is the car I was talking about. 4-piston brembos like the ones on the Camaro SS and my car use 4 pistons per caliper, two opposed pairs.

What kind of Camaro do you own?
So the GS has floating 2 piston, or fixed 2 piston calipers? I don't see much advantage to either...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts