Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ao, a few years ago my wife purchased an 08 malibu LT with the 2.4L (LE5) ecotec motor. Last year the motor started to stumble and on the way to work, it blew up. Yes I understand that leaves alot to interpret. There was alot of noise, the engine started clanging and all power was lost. Anyhow.
I had the motor replaced with same gen, 2.4L ecotec and have been having issues with, those issues are almost completely solved from another thread.
So during this whole ordeal I have kept the original motor. And now I am thinking of tearing it completely down and rebuilding, yes depending on the damage dealt by the destruction inside. What I am pondering though is kicking up the performance. Does anyone know a decent crank, cam, piston, lifter combo? I opened this discussion to shoot ideas around and see what we might be able to build.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
Check out BNR (Bad News Racing) and ZZ Performance for 2.2L and 2.4L ecotec mods.

You'll have to be mindful of getting a custom performance tune for it to run as well as staying below the light duty transmission's torque limitation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it would need to be remapped or get another computer. Sounds like checking into a new trans would be a good idea too.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
I don't know what your goal is, but if you aren't looking at adding boost, you probably won't need a transmission swap. A strong naturally aspirated build might make 200 horsepower @ 7000 rpm and 175 torque around 5500 rpm.

I would suggest you research the best options and then contact local tuner shops to see who is willing to work with you. Writing a full custom engine tune to support a cam and revising the transmission shift pattern might cost you $1,000+ all by itself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CP is right...if you do anything drastic like cams you are going to need someone to tune your car and that by itself could be really expensive especially considering that there aren't many people out there with built up naturally aspirated Malibu's. Also another thing to remember is that larger cams will move your powerband up but that will also kill some of your lowend torque and can make it hard for your car to idle but of course I doubt you would be going with anything that big in a 2.4L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts