Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well I hate to say it but my car is likely totaled. I was on the freeway on 12-27-12 and looked away from the wheel for a few seconds and when I looked up traffic had come to a stop in front of me. I hit the brakes and hit a 2001 Ford Escape while still doing between 40-60 MPH. I'm ok thanks to the awesome safety of our Malibus. I wasn't sore, no whiplash, I was extremely lucky. I pushed the car in front of me into the car in front of it and pushed that car into the car in front of it. I was uninsured and luckily the other cars involved had uninsured coverage. My car is likely totaled due to the fact that it may need one or both new front frame rails. I actually went under the Ford. Here are the 2 best pics I have.

If I am able to keep the car I will be parting her out. Haven't started the motor so no clue how she still runs. The rear tires are pretty new still. Lots of good stuff still.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$150-200 a month and considering that I have had a difficult time holding a job it has been worth it until now. Thankfully my gf made me buy Gap insurance so the car will be paid off if it is totaled.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
You might get a different answer once they discover that you weren't insured. All gap insurance does is cover the loss in value, not the entire vehicle. That's why you pay once and done.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Looks repairable to me. Wreckers for a hood, fenders, bumper + inner support, inner bumper frame, headlight support rack and two headlights and possibly an aftermarket radiator. The fenders aren't even pushed in to the door. I'd peel everything back to see if there's any major frame damage at least.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks repairable to me. Wreckers for a hood, fenders, bumper + inner support, inner bumper frame, headlight support rack and two headlights and possibly an aftermarket radiator. The fenders aren't even pushed in to the door. I'd peel everything back to see if there's any major frame damage at least.
There is frame damage. Both front frame rails are bent a little. The motor is pushed back to the firewall and the passenger side fender now interferes with the front door. Dont think its salvagable. Gap insurance covera the balance of the loan in the event you are in an accident that totals your vehicle. In any case the car is going to need more work than its worth. In addition it will neex both front airbags and a new drivers seatbelt with pretensioner.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Whoa, cool! Gap insurance pays off the loan? Good to know!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
There is frame damage. Both front frame rails are bent a little. The motor is pushed back to the firewall and the passenger side fender now interferes with the front door. Dont think its salvagable. Gap insurance covera the balance of the loan in the event you are in an accident that totals your vehicle. In any case the car is going to need more work than its worth. In addition it will neex both front airbags and a new drivers seatbelt with pretensioner.
Wow. Deceptive pictures are deceptive.. haha. Doesn't look that bad in the pictures. My 03 didn't look much better and it was a fairly easy repair.. The bumper looks a hair off.. but still drivable.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Gap insurance covers the GAP between what your normal insurance will book the car out at when its totaled and what you owe on the car.Say you owe 10 grand on it but allstate or whatever sez its only worth 8 and thats what they give you then the GAP insurance pays the other 2 so that the loan is payed off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, according to http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html not having insurance, a certificate of deposit, or a liability bond means you were breaking the law (made the assumption from your signature that you live in WA). Seems as if you will be subject to a $450 fine. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurers of the other vehicles damaged by you don't eventually come after you for whatever damages they can get, including your totaled vehicle. I sure hope no people were injured in that accident, or you are exposed to even more liability.

Net, I'm sorry you had an accident and for your loss. I don't want to assume you we're a scofflaw, as possibly you did arrange for the liability bond or certificate of deposit with the state, but since you didn't mention those, you were talking about saving $150-200 a month, and discussed gap insurance, I presumed not.

Therefore, it is now time to reap what you sowed...my guess is ultimately you are on the hook for:
The balance on your loan
The claims paid by the other insurance companies
$450 traffic violation for being uninsured in WA
Another traffic violation for rear ending stopped vehicles
Large surcharges if you ever try to buy insurance again
Possible revocation of driving privileges (see here for WA financial responsibility law http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/suspenduninsuredaccidents.html.)

If I were you, I would retain a good attorney right away.

Next time, obey the law. Thank God nobody was injured or your liability could have been life long!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yup here in Ohio you would be subject to lose your drivers license because when you sign for your plates your signing under oath that you have insurance and if you sign that and get caught without you are also perjuring yourself and are even in more trouble.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, according to http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html not having insurance, a certificate of deposit, or a liability bond means you were breaking the law (made the assumption from your signature that you live in WA). Seems as if you will be subject to a $450 fine. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurers of the other vehicles damaged by you don't eventually come after you for whatever damages they can get, including your totaled vehicle. I sure hope no people were injured in that accident, or you are exposed to even more liability.

Net, I'm sorry you had an accident and for your loss. I don't want to assume you we're a scofflaw, as possibly you did arrange for the liability bond or certificate of deposit with the state, but since you didn't mention those, you were talking about saving $150-200 a month, and discussed gap insurance, I presumed not.

Therefore, it is now time to reap what you sowed...my guess is ultimately you are on the hook for:
The balance on your loan
The claims paid by the other insurance companies
$450 traffic violation for being uninsured in WA
Another traffic violation for rear ending stopped vehicles
Large surcharges if you ever try to buy insurance again
Possible revocation of driving privileges (see here for WA financial responsibility law http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/suspenduninsuredaccidents.html.)

If I were you, I would retain a good attorney right away.

Next time, obey the law. Thank God nobody was injured or your liability could have been life long!!
Well actually its a 550 dollar fine and nobody was injured. I guess you could call me a scofflaw but when you cant manage to hold on to a job the little things like insurance go by the way side to ensure that you can still make your car payment so you have a car to drive to seek work. I do however have a good lawyer hired for the ticket. Last no ins. ticket i got he got brought down to a non moving violation.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
How can you get away without having ins. when you have a loan on the car.Here Our ins.co. report to the loan company if we have or drop the ins.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I'm glad no one was hurt.

Sorry to say it, but you deserve everything bad coming your way. When you drive uninsured to save money, you make an incredibly selfish decision for everyone you share the road with, pedestrians included. You can really ruin someone's life even if they aren't injured.

I think people who drive uninsured should be arrested on the spot. Even when I made barely any money working part time driving a beater, I shelled out for liability insurance which meant it only covered other drivers in an at-fault collision.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If we get caught driving with out ins.here in Ohio its a bunch of things you get charged with from perjury among others and they take your plates away right on the spot not to mention like thenerd said you could ruin someones life and the life you may ruin may be your own doing that.I'm just glad no one was hurt.Metal can be fixed or replace a life or a limb cannot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand what you guys are saying but in order for me to have even had liability ins. I wouldn't have been able to keep my car or get to whatever job I may have had. So would you rather I try to eke out a meager existence surviving on the jobs I can find without paying insurance or just be another lazy bum collecting state and federal assistance? Personally I don't like to just sit around, I prefer to make a living doing something rather than doing nothing.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying but in order for me to have even had liability ins. I wouldn't have been able to keep my car or get to whatever job I may have had. So would you rather I try to eke out a meager existence surviving on the jobs I can find without paying insurance or just be another lazy bum collecting state and federal assistance? Personally I don't like to just sit around, I prefer to make a living doing something rather than doing nothing.
People with your mentality drive me insane. If you can't afford your car payment AND car insurance, you need a cheaper car, you bought outside your means. That insurance is to protect OTHER people in the event of your mistakes, and here you are almost bragging about how your lawyer got you off the hook on your last uninsured driving infraction.

You need to take a long, hard look at your life and make some changes for the better, starting with the reason you can't hold a job.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This was a thread on someone wrecking his Malibu and we all feel for you and glad no one was hurt but it has turned into a thread on a debate about ins.I for one believe in it but i also know that sometimes its hard to pay for it when things like food and stuff come first,so if we want to debate ins. someone can start a thread about it and we can all agree to disagree there.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Agreed. Let's get this thread back on topic, please.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was a thread on someone wrecking his Malibu and we all feel for you and glad no one was hurt but it has turned into a thread on a debate about ins.I for one believe in it but i also know that sometimes its hard to pay for it when things like food and stuff come first,so if we want to debate ins. someone can start a thread about it and we can all agree to disagree there.
Thank you SeaRay. I quite felt like I was being attacked because I didn't have ins. I do believe in having insurance. I also believe that you have to put more important things first. When I bought the car we had no problem making the payment and maintaining insurance. As for why I can't maintain a job it has been many different things. Thank you all for your well wishes. I wish this hadn't happened. All i can do for now is go forward. I do have insurance now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts