Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I start, I have a 2016 LT 1.5, 130K miles - no warranty

So last week on the 24th, my screen went out. It went black with no sound not even 5 minutes after I started my car. Reverse camera still works but absolutely nothing else.
So let me go back on my timeline so you know what I've done & you can maybe advise what I can try next.
On 11/24, my battery died. Had warranty on the battery and got it replaced on 11/30.
On 12/24, I had a scheduled appointment to have a check engine light looked at that got reset after I had the battery replaced. It had to do with the turbo intercooler (look at me sounding like I know what I'm talking about). I left my house & not even 5 minutes after leaving, the screen flickered then went black. Wont turn on, no sounds - not even from the blinkers. I thought maybe it had to do with the battery so I told the dealership (mistake #1?) not to mess with it if it has to do with the battery because it's under warranty at a different dealership. They said it's fine, they won't touch it.
I get the car back on Monday 12/27. Still no radio. Advisor didn't even bring it up so I do believe they really didn't touch it. But the radio is still out. I've Googled & YouTube but I have not found a solid answer as to why the radio is out.
I have: Disconnected the battery, replaced fuses for the Radio & Display (neither were broken but switched them anyway), tried the "start the car-stop the car-exit the car but don't lock it- then get back in" that I kept finding and STILL no radio! My last option is to take it back to the dealership that replaced the battery & HOPE it's even related to the battery in the first place & pay ANOTHER $150 for them to look at it. I can't find anything else that I can try before paying another fee on top of whatever other charge they'll estimate.
Does anyone else have any suggestions I can try? I have my appointment for Tuesday & Ill try anything to not have to pay another fee.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that yesterday & tried unplugging the battery for 30 minutes and nothing worked. I guess I'll have to see what the dealership says. I'll report back with what they say.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is kind of like a follow up to a previous post I made. I haven't been able to drop my car off at the dealership to see why my radio/screen when out. The reverse still works but nothing else. I've tried many tricks others have done on this forum and around YouTube but nothing is working. So I think I want to see about replacing the HMI module myself hoping thats the only thing messed up. I see I can buy an OEM but my question is, is this something that has to be programmed by Chevy? Or is it a plug/play thing?

Thanks!

16 LT 130K

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,665 Posts
The HMI control module does require programming by the dealer Service Programming System.

I am surprised the fuse removal didn't work. That has worked for several owners that had functional backup camera but nothing else. I just did that myself on a friend's Impala. Bummer.

I did move your post into your existing discussion so others can see what has been tried.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HMI control module does require programming by the dealer Service Programming System.

I am surprised the fuse removal didn't work. That has worked for several owners that had functional backup camera but nothing else. I just did that myself on a friend's Impala. Bummer.

I did move your post into your existing discussion so others can see what has been tried.
Thank you! Yes, I feel like I've tried everything other than taking it apart. I really can't drop off my car right now to just have it looked at. And sounds like no audio repair shop will look at a stock radio. My 45min drive to/from work feels like hours without a radio.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts