Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a slow loss of coolant. I can't find where the leak is. I rented a pressure tester and could not build pressure. I thought it was the seals from the water outlet housing, which was a cause in the past, but after replacing the seals this time, I was still unable to build pressure with the tester. I used the tester to check the cap from the reservoir /expansion tank and it properly holds pressure. The oil on the dipstick is a normal color, not milky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Water pump area,

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
thank you! Do you think its a bad water pump seal or is the pump bad? I will check there again. I removed the belt and turned it by hand and didn't hear anything strange or notice wobbling. Are there any clues or ways I can check the water pump without removing it? There was a lot of dirt between the top part of the water pump seal and outlet housing.. I wasn't sure if it was from that threaded hole in the block (near the water pump) where moisture drains from the top of the heads. It is dirty on the other side by the thermostat housing as well. Yesterday, I cleaned all around the water pump and water outlet housing to help increase my chances of finding fresh leaks there. I think smelled something sweet around the water pump or even a bit closer to the rear close to the power steering pump when the engine was running.. I had the water pump replaced 5 years ago at 80k due to the engine becoming a bit hotter and requiring the cooling fans to stay on after turning the car off (due to low coolant which I wasn't aware of) the dealership replaced the water pump and I still had a leak. Thanks to this forum, someone mentioned they still had a leak after the dealership replaced the water pump and it was the outlet seals.. After spending $14 on the seals didn't have a leak until recently. After that first leak I'm more vigilant of my coolant levels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I replaced mine myself due to having coolant leaking onto the driveway and finding out that was the culprit. Are you getting leaks on the pavement or are you just having to add coolant randomly?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, I'm not getting any leaks on the pavement. In February I noticed it getting an inch or so lower in the tank. I noticed it happen again a month ago. A few days ago, I noticed it dropped an inch or two since the last month. It seems to get more frequent but is still slow enough and small that maybe it evaporates before it hits the ground. Hopefully I will be able to see better now that I cleaned all the dirt around the pump and outlet housing.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
UV dye kit is the absolute foolproof way to find a leak. They make a kit for every fluid in a vehicle. I have used them over the years and if you can't easily see a leak it's the way to go.

Reactions: TexasAggie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UV dye kit is the absolute foolproof way to find a leak. They make a kit for every fluid in a vehicle. I have used them over the years and if you can't easily see a leak it's the way to go.
Thank you for your help!
I bought the dye for $5 at the dealership and got a uv flashlight and was ready to have a go at it... but before I used the dye I wanted to see if it was possible to find the leak after everything had been thoroughly cleaned and looking new. Using the pressure tester again, I was able to find the leak. There were a few droplets on the serpentine belt and at the weep hole of the water pump. They weren't visible before when it was dusty and greasy. When weather is permitting I'll change it now that I've got my new water pump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts