Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm going to try and put as much information in here as possible so sorry if this ends up being a lengthy post!

About three and a half weeks ago I began having an intermittent no crank no start issue. It started when I turned the vehicle off after driving about an hour and a half. It took me a minute to get a jump but I did and it worked, so I thought "OK battery issue"

the next day I went three different locations and on the third stop had the same issue with it not starting but I noticed the lights on the dash were working. Regardless I took the battery out and had it tested, it tested bad so I bought a new one and replaced it. The car started and I drove it home and didn't move it again till the next day and once more had the same issue.

So I replaced the alternator, and starter (as suggested by a mechanic). Still ended up having the same issue and realized it was only happening once the vehicle got up to operating temperature. (Meaning when the car was cold it would start just fine but when it was up to temp it wouldn't crank, turn over, or start).

SO OFF TO THE WEB I WENT!! I came across a few videos first telling me to check relays and fuse box in the trunk (fuel pump relay, wiring into the trunk fuse box for burnt wires/fuses/relays) so I did and nothing, I tried starting it in neutral to see if it was the neutral safety switch, I switched the starter relay in the junction box (to see if the relays were the issue) and again NOTHING.

Then I came across the videos speaking about the copper wiring inside the junction box (under hood fuse box) and that seemed to make the most sense to me, the explanations all added up to what I was dealing with so I have one ordered and its on its way here.

Other than the starting issue I've never had any other issues with the car so I figured as long as I am either not going somewhere far where the engine warms up enough to not start its fine, or if I can be where I need to be long enough for it to cool down before I need to restart it then its fine.

UNTIL THIS WEEK!! I made a short drive to the store and noticed that my temp gauge on the dashboard dropped to cold. When that happened the a/c stopped blowing cold air. I was stopped at a red light when I noticed it then I pushed the gas and it went back up to temp and the a/c began working again. So I went and bought a new thermostat and sensor and replaced them....and I'm still having the same issue.

SO IM AT A LOSS...Could this be related to the intermittent no crank no start/fuse box issue or is my car really just throwing it at me all at once?? ANY suggestions as to what is going on will be helpful, I am not a mechanic but for a female I am pretty mechanically inclined. I am a single mother of two boys and the last thing I want is to get stranded on the side of the road with them, so I am just trying to do whatever I need to do to keep us safe on the road! Thank you in advance!!

· Premium Member
2,431 Posts
A cheap easy shot in the dark is....
Most control inputs are routed through the body control module located behind a triangular panel in the lower center console by the front passenger's left foot. A few large multi wire connectors attach to this computer and are known for having a corrosion problems. I suggest removing this panel and waiting for the no crank condition to return. When it does, wiggle the large connectors and see if that helps. Should this correct the problem, with the battery disconnected, remove these large connectors, clean what can and re-install. These connectors are cleaned by removing and reinstalling several times to scrape the corrosion from the pins.
Good luck!

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,132 Posts
What @Drunken Elvis is talking about is covered in the thread below:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A cheap easy shot in the dark is....
Most control inputs are routed through the body control module located behind a triangular panel in the lower center console by the front passenger's left foot. A few large multi wire connectors attach to this computer and are known for having a corrosion problems. I suggest removing this panel and waiting for the no crank condition to return. When it does, wiggle the large connectors and see if that helps. Should this correct the problem, with the battery disconnected, remove these large connectors, clean what can and re-install. These connectors are cleaned by removing and reinstalling several times to scrape the corrosion from the pins.
Good luck!
Ok thank you so much I will definitely get out there today on my lunch break and give it a shot. I’ll write back how it works out since this morning my airbag light came on as well! These electrical issues are scary to me I made my 11 year old sit in the backseat on our way to his school this morning!!

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to try and put as much information in here as possible so sorry if this ends up being a lengthy post! About three and a half weeks ago I began having an intermittent no crank no start issue. It started when I turned the vehicle off after driving about an hour and a half. It took me a minute to get a jump but I did and it worked, so I thought "OK battery issue" the next day I went three different locations and on the third stop had the same issue with it not starting but I noticed the lights on the dash were working. Regardless I took the battery out and had it tested, it tested bad so I bought a new one and replaced it. The car started and I drove it home and didn't move it again till the next day and once more had the same issue. So I replaced the alternator, and starter (as suggested by a mechanic). Still ended up having the same issue and realized it was only happening once the vehicle got up to operating temperature. (Meaning when the car was cold it would start just fine but when it was up to temp it wouldn't crank, turn over, or start). SO OFF TO THE WEB I WENT!! I came across a few videos first telling me to check relays and fuse box in the trunk (fuel pump relay, wiring into the trunk fuse box for burnt wires/fuses/relays) so I did and nothing, I tried starting it in neutral to see if it was the neutral safety switch, I switched the starter relay in the junction box (to see if the relays were the issue) and again NOTHING. Then I came across the videos speaking about the copper wiring inside the junction box (under hood fuse box) and that seemed to make the most sense to me, the explanations all added up to what I was dealing with so I have one ordered and its on its way here. Other than the starting issue I've never had any other issues with the car so I figured as long as I am either not going somewhere far where the engine warms up enough to not start its fine, or if I can be where I need to be long enough for it to cool down before I need to restart it then its fine. UNTIL THIS WEEK!! I made a short drive to the store and noticed that my temp gauge on the dashboard dropped to cold. When that happened the a/c stopped blowing cold air. I was stopped at a red light when I noticed it then I pushed the gas and it went back up to temp and the a/c began working again. So I went and bought a new thermostat and sensor and replaced them....and I'm still having the same issue. SO IM AT A LOSS...Could this be related to the intermittent no crank no start/fuse box issue or is my car really just throwing it at me all at once?? ANY suggestions as to what is going on will be helpful, I am not a mechanic but for a female I am pretty mechanically inclined. I am a single mother of two boys and the last thing I want is to get stranded on the side of the road with them, so I am just trying to do whatever I need to do to keep us safe on the road! Thank you in advance!!
Hi there! Just came across this post and feed on this forum. I having the same exact problems you have/had and wanted to know were you able to isolate/troubleshoot what the exact problem for the intermittent NO CRANK NO START issue? I like you saw several Youtube videos about the breaking or separation of the copper wires in the Relay or Fuse Box and believe that might be the source of the problem. Did you ever replace yours as you said you had one ordered? If so did that fix the problem? I appreciate any information you can share to help with this issue! Thank You and God Bless

· Premium Member
3,515 Posts
They never came back from July '22 to let us know the outcome. Don't expect a reply.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd
1 - 6 of 6 Posts