Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Malibu premier wet trunk a few times, then soaked with recent rains in southern California, headliner stained back seats wet! Trunk had 2 inches of water in spare tire compartment, car is great but just lost an apple computer i had in a case in the trunk along with all my cloths. The car is only 2 years old! Any thoughts my 36k warranty just expired at 38k, Gm will probably tell me to take a hike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2015 and was told that the truffles from the rear lights seems to be the issue they dont seal so water runs down under the tail light and gets in the trunk from behind tail light thru light guide holes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found a pool in my Premier's trunk too. The cabin is dry, and no stains on the headliner or seats. I am drying it out now.
I bought a used 2016 LT in the past month. Great car overall.

Checked the trunk and discovered the rubberized mat underneath the spare was soaking wet, but no standing water in the well.

Then checked the 3rd brake light. Two of the 4 nuts were loose enough to turn by hand, a third was missing completely. Installed lock washers and replaced the missing nut. That solved the water leak issue. Noticed a fair amount of moisture a few days later on top of the spare. It had not rained (and no car wash) since I fixed the brake light nuts so the only other possibility was condensation. I put a old towel on top of the spare to cover it completely...no more condensation!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I received this 2 page letter today from GM Canada informing me that they are providing special coverage extending warranty coverage for this issue to 6 years or 116,000 kilometers (72,000 miles). Seems to be VIN specific, maybe year specific? See attached copy of letter. Fortunately I have not had this issue.

Attachments

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
@golly51

Thank you for sharing. I have seen this program listed for USA owners also but the bulletin is not publicly available yet. Nice they sent you a letter. It seems GM has been going over some quality numbers lately. Several programs like this (accel pedal position, some limited piston replacement, now this one for the CHMSL) have popped up in the last month. They are probably reviewing common gen9 quality issues in prep for gen10. The only common defect I have yet to see a program for is the shifter replacement for the "shift to park" issue. Perhaps it is coming?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try looking at the latch keeper that holds the trunk shut. I had a leak in my 2016 premier trunk with the snail trails coming straight down i to the trunk. I noticed that there was some rust on the latch keeper on the back of the trunk. pop the cover off and see if the latch keeper is not pulling the trunk lid in snugly. My trunk closes much more solidly now. And I’m hoping leak free. I’ve done everything else.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There's going to be a Gen10? I thought GM was going to run Gen9 until 2024 (give or take) and get out of the mid-size sedan biz in the US like Ford and Chrysler.

@golly51

Thank you for sharing. I have seen this program listed for USA owners also but the bulletin is not publicly available yet. Nice they sent you a letter. It seems GM has been going over some quality numbers lately. Several programs like this (accel pedal position, some limited piston replacement, now this one for the CHMSL) have popped up in the last month. They are probably reviewing common gen9 quality issues in prep for gen10. The only common defect I have yet to see a program for is the shifter replacement for the "shift to park" issue. Perhaps it is coming?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
There's going to be a Gen10? I thought GM was going to run Gen9 until 2024 (give or take) and get out of the mid-size sedan biz in the US like Ford and Chrysler.
Only time will tell as things always change but I have heard the Malibu will continue with a gen10 arriving 2022. Even for the 2020 year the Spark and Sonic continue along with the Impala (cut down options and trims). It does however look like the Malibu Hybrid died with the 2019 model. It is missing from the fleet guide, online build system, and ordering guide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having the leak issue and rec'd the letter. My dealership is refusing to look at the car as the VIN isnt showing a recal, I explained everything and they refuse to check it out without me paying. I've reached out to Chevy and they couldn't do anything other than open a service case. Highly frustrated! They wouldnt even call the dealership. I asked for a manger to call me back from the dealer and 6 hrs later still no call

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Im having the leak issue and rec'd the letter. My dealership is refusing to look at the car as the VIN isnt showing a recal, I explained everything and they refuse to check it out without me paying. I've reached out to Chevy and they couldn't do anything other than open a service case. Highly frustrated! They wouldnt even call the dealership. I asked for a manger to call me back from the dealer and 6 hrs later still no call
The VIN won't show a recall since the leak from the center high mount stop lamp leak isn't a recall. If you call and say there is a recall they will search for a recall and find nothing. The letter you received references a Special Coverage Adjustment - just an extension of warranty coverage for the covered issue. The dealer first needs to determine if the leak comes from the CHMSL as there are other locations it can come from (front wheel area, trunk weatherstripping). If they find it is the CHMSL, they will repair and waive the diagnostic fee. Hopefully you hear back from the Service Manager - it can take time.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
this repair literally take 2 minutes max to do..........
Not if the headliner and rear carpet need replacement from water and/or mold damage. That is part of the bulletin and special coverage program as a covered service. A lot of owners don't notice this until so much water accumulates that the headliner shows damage or the spare compartment is inspected following smells or excessive fogging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received the letter about a month ago and did not have any problems at the time I thought, but on Saturday I got a flat tire and when they went to get the spare tire out the trunk my spare was under 4 inches of water also my headliner was so stained and still wet from rain earlier in the week, I notified the dealer and took my vehicle in on Monday just got the call my car is done and that they ran water over it to make sure it wasn't still leaking, I haven't checked it out myself but it will get a car wash this weekend just to make sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try looking at the latch keeper that holds the trunk shut. I had a leak in my 2016 premier trunk with the snail trails coming straight down i to the trunk. I noticed that there was some rust on the latch keeper on the back of the trunk. pop the cover off and see if the latch keeper is not pulling the trunk lid in snugly. My trunk closes much more solidly now. And I’m hoping leak free. I’ve done everything else.
Did this so the trick? I have the exact same thing happening, but I really don't see any way water can get through anything back there like it does. No seams, it's covered by the trunk, and the weatherstripping is making good contact with the lid. Frustrating

·
Registered
17 Posts
The VIN won't show a recall since the leak from the center high mount stop lamp leak isn't a recall. If you call and say there is a recall they will search for a recall and find nothing. The letter you received references a Special Coverage Adjustment - just an extension of warranty coverage for the covered issue. The dealer first needs to determine if the leak comes from the CHMSL as there are other locations it can come from (front wheel area, trunk weatherstripping). If they find it is the CHMSL, they will repair and waive the diagnostic fee. Hopefully you hear back from the Service Manager - it can take time.
Front wheel area? Trunk weatherstripping? How so on both of these.... Id like to confirm where mine is leaking... It's not the chmsl.
Thanks!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Front wheel area? Trunk weatherstripping? How so on both of these.... Id like to confirm where mine is leaking... It's not the chmsl.
Thanks!
What year is your Malibu? Warranty expired? How much water are you finding? Only in trunk?

If I were to attempt a DIY fix for water in trunk, I'd start by drying out the trunk thoroughly and removing everything to make inspection fast. Then take a hose and start at the back. Check trunk after. Then move to one trunk side, check after. Then the other side, check. Then the back of the lid. If it stays dry, then take the hose and pour on the CHMSL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2016. Warranty expired. A few inches in well. I've tightened the chmsl down as yes, it was loose. Headliner dry, c pillars dry, back seat dry, carpet in trunk dry.

I am still getting water buildup as it rains. I see some small snail trails from UNDER the rear latch plate after ive removed plastic trim. The seal is tight to trunk lid, as I coated it in Vaseline and it left a full mark around trunk. I look under the seam by the latch.... And there is literally no place for water to come from. It would have to be coming through the lid, but the carpet on our would be wet and it's dry. I'm lost.... Unless the water is getting under the seal somehow and working its way down to the bottom and coming out inside the trunk. This is completely frustrating

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Water test is only idea I have. As for the CHMSL, that is the culprit in 99% of the posts here. It is more than just the nuts/fasteners, dealers also replace the little gaskets if they don't replace the whole lamp. The gaskets also leak. The CHMSL is the "best" place it can leak from since they extended warranty to 72k (unless you are over that too).

How about rear lights or the rear window seal?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I doubt it's the chmsl as the headliner and all associated body parts from there down to the trunk are dry. I can see the small snail trails from under the latch plate into the wheel well where it's clearly coming from. I just see no way how water gets under that plate area....as there are no seems or openings to the outside there. I'm going to replace the seal around the pinch weld and make sure there is no way water can be getting under that. I never checked rear lights, but everything looks dry around them.

Worst comes to worst... I'm buying a can of that spray seal they build boats out of screen doors with and hitting every seam in the back of the car

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Don't spray the whole back end with flex seal. If you fix the suspect area you have found and it still leaks do the water test. Simple, quick, and it works a lot better than the eyeball test. Water laughs at the eyeball test.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts