Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't spray the whole back end with flex seal. If you fix the suspect area you have found and it still leaks do the water test. Simple, quick, and it works a lot better than the eyeball test. Water laughs at the eyeball test.

Good luck.
A lot of things on cars seem to laugh at us, yup, including water with the eyeball test.... Lol

So, problem solved. I still couldn't find the leak doing the water test. I started on right side lower.... Then left side lower.... And worked my way up each side checking for leaks each time. I still couldn't figure out how in the heck water was coming down the rear bulkhead, when there were NO seams there. Sooo.... I got a new GM trunk weatherstrip. Cleaned the pinch weld completely, and anywhere there was an overlap seam, I put a dollop of sealant on it. Once installed, I had to adjust the striker up a bit so the trunk would close properly..... And did the water tests again. Dry! Sat in the rain yesterday, and dry still. So, brought it to the final test.... High pressure car wash. DRY!

Pretty sure I got this leak taken care of, but still have no idea where it was leaking from. Freaking bizarre.

All good finally! Thanks for the help and advice..... Peace

Don't spray the whole back end with flex seal. If you fix the suspect area you have found and it still leaks do the water test. Simple, quick, and it works a lot better than the eyeball test. Water laughs at the eyeball test.

Good luck.
A lot of things on cars seem to laugh at us, yup, including water with the eyeball test.... Lol

So, problem solved. I still couldn't find the leak doing the water test. I started on right side lower.... Then left side lower.... And worked my way up each side checking for leaks each time. I still couldn't figure out how in the heck water was coming down the rear bulkhead, when there were NO seams there. Sooo.... I got a new GM trunk weatherstrip. Cleaned the pinch weld completely, and anywhere there was an overlap seam, I put a dollop of sealant on it. Once installed, I had to adjust the striker up a bit so the trunk would close properly..... And did the water tests again. Dry! Sat in the rain yesterday, and dry still. So, brought it to the final test.... High pressure car wash. DRY!

Pretty sure I got this leak taken care of, but still have no idea where it was leaking from. Freaking bizarre.

All good finally! Thanks for the help and advice..... Peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is officially dry and leak free. 90% sure it was the trunk seal... Although I did also tighten the four nuts on the 3rd brake light. No signs of leakage on the headliner, seats, etc... But still.

Oh, when I replaced the trunk seal, I did not use weatherstrip adhesive, but I did put a blob of silicone on every seam joint that I could. Dry as a bone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received this 2 page letter today from GM Canada informing me that they are providing special coverage extending warranty coverage for this issue to 6 years or 116,000 kilometers (72,000 miles). Seems to be VIN specific, maybe year specific? See attached copy of letter. Fortunately I have not had this issue.
Who did you contact to get this letter?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
Who did you contact to get this letter?
The letters (such as this one referring to repair related to a leaking CHMSL) are automatically sent to customers based on vehicle VIN and known address. In my case, I received the letter for my 2016 and it shows under warranty when logged in at my.chevrolet.com.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts