Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy the wildlife we have living out in the country but some critter keeps chewing the wiring on my cars. I think it's the woodchuck. I've chased him and he ran up under one car and when I was able to chase him out of that one he ran up under another one.

C413 is a mail/female multi pin connector pair that carries conductors for the fuel pump, EVAP Vent valve & Fuel level sender. The wire bundle comes through the floor, apparently from under the rear seat. There's only a few inches of wire there and I've repaired it so may times that there's more tape & splice than there is original wire. One wire had only about 1/4" sticking out to attach a splice to.

I'm getting P0449 for the EVAP vent solinoid. The wire was intact, or I fixed it, I don't remember. I found the coil was open on the solenoid. I replaced the Evap Vent valve and the code cleared, as far as being an immediate fault. Turns out after driving a few days, it fails some EVAP tests and brings back the same code. I was able to energize the solinoid by with 12v applied at the connector. The wire is not damaged from the C413 connector back to the tank. I need the male side of the C413 connector with enough of a pigtale to splce in inside under the back seat. Where can I get such a thing. I don't want to remove it myself at a junk yard. Getting too old for that.

When I replaced the vent valve the plastic tubing didn't lay back in place like it should. I didn't have the tank all the way out and the space was tight, but everything is connected. So I'm still hoping there's not a plumbing problem.

So, after I first replaced the vent valve, I thought it was fixed. Codes cleared. Took it for the emissions test. It failed cus running tests had not had time to complete. Than drove a few days and P0449 comes back. License is expired and can't renew without passing emission test. (Driving my minivan). Before replacing the vent valve the code would come back immediately. Now I let the car set a week or so while I wait for the mood to work on it again. Ok, the mood has arrived, I start the car and proceed to put it in the garage to start work again. The woodchuck has struck again. A trans oil cooler hose has been chewed through and blew all the trans fluid out on the driveway. Had to use a come a long to pull it into the garage and on the lift. I've spliced in new hose, poured in 7 quarts of ATF, and that's fixed and I'm back to the original problem.

I don't think it's the wire but I need to clean up the mess of splices to eliminate the possibility.
So if you read all this, the question remains, Where can I get a new/used C413 male connector with enough cable to splice in under the rear seat?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Up around here. ..all scrap yards will yank it for ya. I think its your only option.... off a guy in the yard 20 bucks or something. Only option i can think of. Or hit a dealer.... point out the connector on a diagram ( which they have access to ) and , see if they can get it for ya.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Talked to a dealer parts man on the phone. He seemed to understand what I needed. He wasn't able to find the connector with a pigtail wire. It was either a bare connector or a whole section of wiring harness. I think it was $80 and 5 days to get the harness.
I took pictures of it and we're about to make a trip to the junk yard.

Junk yard closed early. Gonna go out and scan codes again and see what data my scanner can read. Watched some youtube videos on the problem. The FTP (Fuel Tank Pressure sensor) might play a part in this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There was a thread in this forum about someone burning up a plug... it had to do with fuel level sensor I believe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My gas gauge has a problem. After a fill up, it bounces intermittently from full to empty until I use a little gas Once the gauge is not pegged on 110% full, it starts working right. I wasn't going to fix that unless I end up wiith the tank out for another reason. It does set the check engine light but it clears up after that minimal amount of gas is used.

Hoses were leaking on the trans oil cooler lines I fixed, Tightening clamps stopped it. Got some more hose clamps. gonna put 2 clamps on each connection.

Had to work on the house air conditioned today. Life would be easier if I didn't know how to fix anything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the part. Had to mostly take it off myself. Yard man lifted the car up in the air with a giant machine so we could access underneath. They didn't even charge my for it. It's one of the oldest junk yards around. I bought a 55 Pontiac from them in 1963.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can't completely match this thing up by colors. If you cut the whole cable you will find 2 orange wires and 2 grey wires. I put a but splice on each wire of the replacement part and labeled the but splice for which pin it went to, with a Sharpie marker.
I cut the wires off the old part one at a time, identified which pin, with an ohmmeter, and crimped it on to the correct but splice on the new part, before cutting another wire.

I'm not using weather proof but splices because they are inside the car.

There was one open circuit to the old connector, which could be the cause of the whole problem or one of my old repairs gave way while removing the part.

Ok, I plugged it back in, started the car. check engine light is not on. No current trouble codes, P0449 pending code. Cleared codes. Now no codes pending or otherwise.

Now I gotta put some gas in it and drive it till it has time to complete it's running tests. I've been at this point before.

Ran out of gas in the driveway. Poured some in from a can. Went & bought 6 gallons. Gas station is 4 miles. Drove about 14 miles all together. No CEL yet. Got some places to go Monday & Tuesday. We'll see.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe this is the code pending on mine.....or was it p4049....will have to rescan it. Wondering also how feasable it was just to eliminate the plug....,join the appropriate wires together with good connectors. Be done with the whole plug....just because it may fail again.

Glad yours is fixed though.... way to go elbow deep in it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe this is the code pending on mine.....or was it p4049....will have to rescan it. Wondering also how feasable it was just to eliminate the plug....,join the appropriate wires together with good connectors. Be done with the whole plug....just because it may fail again.

Glad yours is fixed though.... way to go elbow deep in it
Actually the connector didn't fail. The wires were too chewed up too close to it. Too many things can go wrong that require removing the tank to hard wire the thing. I'd have no problem jumpering one or two wires around the connector if that's what it took.

My problem with a woodchuck chewing on the wires is probably an unusual event.

Probably, maybe, P0449 is usually/likely a bad EVAP Vent valve. Mine was bad in addition to the wiring problem.

My scanner still shows EVAP test incomplete, so I don't know it's fixed yet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Right on! Hopefully soon your system says "ready" i went throught it with my cavalier 2.4L was a nail biter to hit the emissions place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of o2 sensor tests and a o2 sensor heater test have gone form Incomplete to OK so we're headed in the right direction.
Drove it today. Scanned it while we were out and EVAP still incomplete. If it was ready I could's dropped by the emissions test site. I'll check it tomorrow. I think some of the EVAP tests happen while it sits with engine off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the car for a drive. Woodchuck struck again, No A/C. Ate the wire to the refrigerant pressure sensor. 3 wires chewed. only one chewed through. Spliced it, Put some liquid tape on the frayed ones. A/C is back but gonna get another connector from the junk yard. This one is real easy to get at to remove and I already know where the Malibu's are in the yard.

Evap test still incomplete. No new codes

·
Registered
415 Posts
I dont know hpw you would use this to benifit yourself but, I keep hearing Irish spring soap really deters these rodents. Mothballs and steel wool aswell. Maybe get a live trap on the go.... dang woodchuck. I woulda figured mice

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could be more than one animal, but I've chased the wood chuck and he ran up into the engine compartment and other places under the cars. I've popped the hood and seen him there. When I chased him out of one car he went to another. car. Some of the damaged wires under the car are just the right height for the woodchuck reaching up from the ground. A squirrel could reach there too. A mouse would have to be hanging upside down to reach there. I see him around a lot.
Drove 60 or 70 miles today. Got another free connector from the junk yard, for the A/C. Picked up a live trap from another house. Woodchuck in the driveway when we got home. EVAP still incomplete.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It turns out EVAP incomplete is not enough to fail the emissions test. Took it for the test and it passed.
I did have a bad EVAP vent valve. Apparent on replacing the valve the old wire repairs became intermittent. The P0449 cleared at first than came back. Replacing the piece of wiring harness seems to have fixed it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ya that different than it was up here. ANY CEL for any reason was a fail. But as of March we got rid of emmisions testing thank frigging goodness

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The EVAP incomplete does not light the CEL. If it were to ever complete its EVAP tests, and decide there's a fault, it would light the CEL.
I'm still getting a CEL for my fuel tank level sensor circuit, that clears when enough fuel is used to move the gauge just below max full. I didn't fill up all the way when I went for the emission test. Would have fixed that if I had to remove the tank for the EVAP problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My CEL came on. Had a code for fuel tank pressure. EVAP still incomplete. There's still a code for fuel level sensor circuit, but it will clear eventually. The CEL went back off but the fuel tank pressure code is still there. Perhaps the condition has cleared but the code has not cleared yet. I'm not gonna reset codes. Everything that has to do with the engine running properly is working. My emissions test is good for 2 years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts