Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Malibu 3.6 108k miles

Car has been having a pretty shaky idle recently, and recently has developed a pretty bad rattle that can be heard in the video. Even more recently the car has stalled twice coming to a stop, and the video below shows me starting it up again after it stalled and revving it to about 2.5k rpms to hear the rattle with a completely unexpected stall afterwards. if i had to guess it'd be timing chain issues, before the car was amazing and worked perfectly. any help?

two very scary sounds from my engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you checked the codes to see why the check engine light is on? It's very hard to diagnose the problem by the video, but it doesn't sound good! Maybe a VVT issue, didn't really sound like a timing chain problem. I would start by getting the DTC's and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Full shop level code scan of all 4 code families is step one. Otherwise your just throwing darts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read the codes in my garage (since I don't want to risk starting it anymore), and the vehicle is showing 5 codes: P0336, P0496, P0016, P0017, and a P0018. From what I've been told the P0336 is one of the more serious codes you can get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
P0336 definition: The engine control module, ECM, has detected an improper/irregular voltage coming from the crankshaft position sensor. Issue Severity: SEVERE – Stop driving immediately. P0496 is set, it means that there is an issue with the purge flow in the EVAP system. When a P0016 OBD-II generic code is triggered, it alerts the driver the Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0017 stands for “Camshaft Position B – Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1).” at the camshaft position sensor (CMP) for bank 1, which detects camshaft rotation, is not corresponding to the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts