Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok so I thought I could send you a quick description but it's a little complicated :mad: You basically have to remove the front facia (bumper cover) to get to the headlamp attachment bolts. There are 2 bolts in the end that hold it in place. I've included some quick pictures since I don't have time right now to write out the entire procedure. I'm also not sure if you have to detach everything shown or can partially do it just to get the lamp free.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Jesus, that's insane how much you have to go through. Oh well, good product management I assume. While you're in there, might as well clean some things too!

I have another had light question...I am getting some moisture in both head lights and they take the form of either a hazy cloud or droplets inside the head light assembly. Anyone know of any trick to prevent this, or to get it out?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thats how my tC was.. you had to take the entire front bumper off to get to the headlights. It was about 22 Bolts/Screws and several pop rivots

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as I know Truitt, my buddy had this happen in his 02 Grand Am, he tried everything including a hair dryer and all. He finally went to the dealer and they told him that there was a seal that was letting in moisture or moist air and that they needed to be replaced to completely remedy the problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, it is very annoying to be walking up to your Malibu and seeing little droplets. Then when you turn on your lights while your car warms up, you walk around and find a fog. I find it very annoying.

Maybe it is covered in the bumper-to-bumper? :D These guys at the dealership must hate me by now...they already say "Mr. Truitt!" As I drive up, without even asking when my appointment is or anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i have to remove the bumper to do the hid kit but can some one show me a diagram on how to remove the bumper since i have the diagram on removing the headlights

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok so I thought I could send you a quick description but it's a little complicated :mad: You basically have to remove the front facia (bumper cover) to get to the headlamp attachment bolts. There are 2 bolts in the end that hold it in place. I've included some quick pictures since I don't have time right now to write out the entire procedure. I'm also not sure if you have to detach everything shown or can partially do it just to get the lamp free.
^^^^^^Ahem It includes the front fascia and headlight assembly altogether.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That drawing is pretty helpful, but also disappointing since it looks like a lot of work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I heard it was ALOTA work to do anything with those headlights...turns out, its TRUE!! I was planning on changing the bulbs to sylvania silverstars, but.....nah, aint worth it to me. good luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Silverstars are not HIDs.
HIDs are actually going to require a ballast and ignitor (usually combined in new kits) and they wont have a halogen bulb.
Silverstars will work fine in the stock housing, which is designed for halogen bulbs. Actually, HIDs work quite well in the stock housing, little to no glare I have found in mine.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Haha, sorry, you make an excellent point. I meant to start a new paragraph there.
Revision

Silverstars are not HIDs.
HIDs are actually going to require a ballast and ignitor (usually combined in new kits) and they wont have a halogen bulb.
Silverstars will work fine in the stock housing, which is designed for halogen bulbs.

Actually, HIDs work quite well in the stock fog light housing, little to no glare I have found in mine. Its way easier than sticking them into the headlight housings.

I may get around to it one day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That was one of those... Thinking, but no one else knowing kinda deals.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i think ill be staying away from my headlights for now, with the amount of work required just to change a bulb i might as well save modifying those for last if i ever decide to do it and some people gave the silverstars a bad review =/ some say they burn out after 6 months. BTW they were referring to silverstar ULTRA bulbs

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know if I have ranted around here before about this but I think it is freakin retarded that you have to tear the damn front end of the car off to change the bulbs. I didn't realize that you couldn't just replace them like a normal vehicle before I bought the car. They could have at least made it easy. I don't have a garage or the time for such a job and now I am going to have to pay the dealer to change the damn bulbs. I would guess my last car had to have bulbs 4 times in the 10 years I had it and the dealer is probably going to nail me for at least $200 each time. Its going to be so awesome when I get pulled over for having one light because I am waiting for my appointment at the dealer. As nice as everything else is with the car its just maddening to me. :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.