Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im new here and this is my first post...well my dad took our 2001 malibu v6 to get a smog check and the check engine light was on and it had 2 codes i think...one was the fuel pressure regulator dont know if that would make any trouble codes...the other was the knock sensor dont know what code that is cause i wasnt there when the guy put the scanner on the car...well my dad bought the parts and i disconnected the the battery and put the parts on...i hooked the battery cables on and it started up and the code was gone and a day later the code came back so i dont know if i did something wrong? it would be cool if someone can help me out with my problem :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Emission control systems can be a real pain in the ... to figure out without the proper testing equipment. I would suggest taking it to a reputable repair shop to have these problems diagnosed by a qualified tech. Of course this can be expensive, but with the proper scan tools this could be narrowed down quickly.
Removing the battery terminals and replacing them will reset the computer, I.E. engine light goes out. If the problem still exists, the light will come back on. Have the computer scanned again and have a print out made of the scan or write them down. look up the codes and go from there. Also check your gas cap to see if it's sealed. Lose caps can throw a EVAP code. good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.