Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got new tires put on today and they told me i needed new brakes. I already knew this of course because of the pulsating at 60 mph when hitting the brakes on the highway :rolleyes:

I've heard that the steel wheels add to the rotors warping prematurley but im not sure how much truth there is to that. So what rotors should i go with? Parts store replacements or an aftermarket. Drilled maybe?

Any input is appreciated, and these are the fronts of course.

thanks
Jay

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can't imagine why the steel wheels would cause any issues with warping, at least not the "factory" wheels. The issues I've read about concerning wheels and warping usually relate to incorrectly torqued lug nuts, too tight or unevenly tightened. Still, if you're having issues, there are plenty of good aftermarket parts that should be better then the oem parts. I don't know if I'd go for slotted / drilled rotors though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well turns out the tire place didn't actually look at the brakes. they just told me what i wanted to hear. I told them about the pulsating at high speed they just told me i needed front brakes. I test drove the car this morning and after changing the tires the pulsating is gone. They also told me i was missing a lug nut on a wheel that i had off a month ago and torqed them down myself. Just tell me you lost a lug.

this is why i don't trust most mechanics

·
Registered
644 Posts
I used to work as an Auto Tech. And this is what used to get me upset. The "Rip Off" shops. My 10 years I have had a few Honest Bosses. Most werent. When I worked for "Ski" at a Nissan dealer, He was the most Honest of all. Some of it is the Bosses. Some of it is the Mechanics trying to make their paychecks. I never worked that way. Which is probably why I cant get another job as an Auto Tech. Whenever possible Try to do your own work. I do most of my own. Except for a few things that couldnt be done in the driveway. Then I watched as they worked. Made small talk to the Mechanic to ease the tension. Fortunately I have never been ripped off on uneeded repairs.
As far as the Rotor Warp, The Dust Shield (ex:Kleen Wheels) causes this problem. How? Simple. It blocks the dust rom the wheel. What else does it block? The Air from cooling the rotors. Stock wheels have never caused warped rotors. The Manufacturers would be replacing rotors all the time if they did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.