Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the latest winter storms hitting us down here in Texas my rear wheels locked up, brakes locked up as well and slid my Malibu and hit a wired fence, scratched up my front bumper, passenger headlamp, passenger fender (dented as well), and my passenger mirror cover, any guesses to how much it’ll cost to fix up?

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
63 Posts
Gen 7 Malibu reporting in. Had to replace my bumper, shock absorbers, and most of the grille components on my vehicle as I got backed into. Shop quoted $1700. Out of curiosity, I asked them how much it would be to replace it all only counting the labor to paint the bumper and have me do the rest, came out to be $900. Now that's not counting the fender, headlamp and mirror, but it doesn't sound like you have to replace the grille which is good!
I agree with @Jimbo73 's assessment though, should you just replace those components.
If the scratches aren't bad, they might be clear coat scratches and can just be buffed out if they aren't through the paint.
If you need to replace the parts (or at the least repaint), it would definitely help if you or someone you know is comfortable taking that bumper off and back on, and at least save you the labor.

One last note, most body shops default to aftermarket components for replacements. If you want to replace the components with GM parts, it will cost more than aftermarket but will most likely be a higher quality repair.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,273 Posts
A picture or two of the damage would greatly help. $2,500 minimum sounds like a good guess. When I had minor damage on the rear corner of my 2009 model that required a new side marker light, dent work, and paint, I believe the bill to insurance was $1,800.

·
Registered
'17 Chevy Equinox Premier V6 AWD, '07 Chevy Uplander LS Extended, '01 Chevy Malibu, '00 Chevy Malibu
11 Posts
Devil's Tower in the background or am I jumping the gun?
It's quite the sight to behold up close. My wife and I saw it on the Mt. Rushmore from Old Faithful leg of a 6600 mile, 16 day road trip we took in 2016.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's quite the sight to behold up close. My wife and I saw it on the Mt. Rushmore from Old Faithful leg of a 6600 mile, 16 day road trip we took in 2016.
Nice! I use to be stationed at Ellsworth just east of that in South Dakota. The wife and I visited and it was a great experience. Not much out that way but the outdoors and vastness of those northern states is awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes it is Devil's Tower. We were attending the Sturgis Camaro Rally in 2014. Drove the 69 Camaro SS from Jefferson City, Missouri to Sturgis and back. That car has never been on a trailer since I did the restoration 22 years ago. We have done the Hot Rod Power Tour Long Haul (Start to Finish) 5 times in it.

We also have pictures of the 2015 Camaro 2 SS RS convertible and our 2013 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible near Devil's Tower. We sold the 2015 Camaro and traded the 2013 Vette for a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport Heritage Package Convertible. Of course we still have the 69.

·
Registered
'17 Chevy Equinox Premier V6 AWD, '07 Chevy Uplander LS Extended, '01 Chevy Malibu, '00 Chevy Malibu
11 Posts
When we were there, we also stopped at downtown Sturgis, the City of Presidents, Mount Rushmore, and the Crazy Horse Memorial. We stayed overnight in a hotel in Custer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it is Devil's Tower. We were attending the Sturgis Camaro Rally in 2014. Drove the 69 Camaro SS from Jefferson City, Missouri to Sturgis and back. That car has never been on a trailer since I did the restoration 22 years ago. We have done the Hot Rod Power Tour Long Haul (Start to Finish) 5 times in it.

We also have pictures of the 2015 Camaro 2 SS RS convertible and our 2013 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible near Devil's Tower. We sold the 2015 Camaro and traded the 2013 Vette for a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport Heritage Package Convertible. Of course we still have the 69.
Those are all nice rides! We made our trip in 2016 in our Uplander. I usually take pictures of our vehicles near landmarks when we travel, too, so I'm sure I have at least one of it there also. It had much more stuff in it when we returned home than when we left!

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the latest winter storms hitting us down here in Texas my rear wheels locked up, brakes locked up as well and slid my Malibu and hit a wired fence, scratched up my front bumper, passenger headlamp, passenger fender (dented as well), and my passenger mirror cover, any guesses to how much it’ll cost to fix up?
That sounds like relatively minor damage. Do you think you are able to replace any of the parts yourself? If so, you can check car-part.com for the items you need. You may even find body parts in the same color as your car like I did when the left side of our Uplander got sideswiped in 2009. I had lots of fun installing that left front and left sliding door on it, but I eventually got it done. Regards.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Your timeline is bringing back a lot of memories. I actually went to the rally and watched the Autocross for most of the day. Of course, I broke everything up by driving my SRT8 there LOL a little out of place I'd say, but still a great time. Nice choice in Corvettes. I had an '08 Z51 that I sold back in 2016. Great car!
SRT.jpg SRT 1.jpg SRT 2.jpg C61.jpg C62.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts