Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what I need to do to install a front license plate bracket on my 08 2LT? Should I have the dealer do it? It's a GMAC lease, but I just moved from MI to MA where I need the plate, so I assume it's okay to add it to the car?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know what I need to do to install a front license plate bracket on my 08 2LT? Should I have the dealer do it? It's a GMAC lease, but I just moved from MI to MA where I need the plate, so I assume it's okay to add it to the car?
Don't you just hate the 2 tag state requirements? Mine came with the tag bracket in the trunk along with a punch and the 3 screws to install it in the front bumper. Should be very easy using the items in the trunk to install the tag bracket to the front bumper. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... Mine didn't come with a plate bracket, so I just ordered one from the dealer and it didn't come with screws or a punch. Now what do I do?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Muahahahahahahha

Michigan > States that require 2 plates for your car

I think the front license plate ruins the look of the car, no offense.

But why'd you move from Michigan, Michigan is the BEST XD

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, it messes up the look. Get one that is not attached thru the bumper. There are lots of street rodder types that attach underneath and fold out. That way if you sell to someone in one tag state, they don't have to have the tag on the front and no 3 holes in their bumper.

But if you have to, there are 3 little indentions where the holes are, just take a drill and at a slow speed and small size bit, drill a starter hole - insert standard size screw that holds the tag on, they are all the same in size, I imagine. I cring thinking about having to do this....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm... Mine didn't come with a plate bracket, so I just ordered one from the dealer and it didn't come with screws or a punch. Now what do I do?
Go back to the dealer and tell them to order you the mounting kit for the bracket. It includes a punch, 3 mounting screws, and 2 license plate screws.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed the plate bracket two weeks ago.

The plate bracket and hardware were in the trunk when I got it.

The bumper is pre indented where you'll need to drill the holes for the bracket. Mine came with pop rivets so you'll need a rivet gun. If you've never used a rivet gun just have the dealer install it. Though it's easy to use, most people usually ruin a few rivets in the process. You'll then need to order more specialty sized rivets and likely have a mounting plate dangling off the front of your car. The kit that came with mine had one spare rivet in case you mess something up.

If you've used a rivet gun before it's a simple process. Drill out the appropriate sized holes for the included rivets. Line up the bracket to the holes and use the rivet gun to fasten the rivets through the bracket and onto the bumper. There are also included screws to mount the plate to the bracket once it's installed. 5-10 minute project at most

·
Registered
749 Posts
Welcome to Massachusetts - The Spirit of America... LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.