Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 2004 malibu maxx v6 and i need to replace the passenger side wheel bearing. Im pretty sure i can handle it but ive never done it so i dont know excatly what i have to do so i was wondering if someone on here had pics of them or someone else changing the wheel bearing or if they could just tell me how like a step by step that woudl be great.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
202 Posts
from Autozone's web site:
Wheel Hub & Bearings
Malibu 2001-2005

Adjustment

These vehicles are equipped with sealed hub and bearing assemblies. The hub and bearing assemblies are non-serviceable. If the assembly is damaged, the complete unit must be replaced.
Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
2. Remove or disconnect the following:
WARNING
DO NOT allow the caliper to hang unsupported from the brake hose.
* Front wheel
* Halfshaft nut
* Caliper from the steering knuckle and support it aside
* Brake rotor
* 3 hub bearing-to-steering knuckle bolts
* Halfshaft from the hub/bearing assembly
* Hub/bearing assembly

Install or connect the following:

* Hub/bearing assembly on the halfshaft
* 3 hub/bearing-to-steering knuckle bolts. Torque the bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
* Brake rotor
* Caliper onto the steering knuckle. Torque the bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (51 Nm).
* Halfshaft nut. Torque it to 284 ft. lbs. (385 Nm).
* Front wheel. Torque the nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).

Looks pretty easy. have fun gett'n dirty!

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
I know on the older GM cars, There is a wire that runs through the hub for the ABS Sensor. If you have this, Be Careful when installing the new unit. The wire could get broken. I have seen Mechanics do this in the past.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that helps a bit.

Yes there is a wire for the ABS sensor and ill be sure to be real carefull not to mess with it.

If anyone has any more info or perhaps a more detailed description on the removal and installation of the part that would be awesome.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Here is the procedure from the GM Service Manual. Pictures will be missing. If you send me a Private Message with your e-mail address I can send a Word Document with everything.

Bill

Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Front
Tools Required
J 42129 Wheel Hub Removal

Removal Procedure
1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

3. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut.
4. Remove the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front in Disc Brakes.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with ABS.
6. Remove the wheel speed sensor connector from the bracket by depressing the locking tabs, if equipped with ABS.

Notice
Avoid tool contact to the outer constant velocity boot seal when removing the wheel bearing mounting bolts. Failure to observe this notice may result in damage to the CV boot.
7. Remove the 3 hub and bearing assembly bolts.
8. Install the J 42129 to the hub and bearing assembly in order to remove the hub and bearing assembly from the wheel drive shaft.

9. Remove the hub and bearing assembly from the steering knuckle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the hub and bearing assembly to the steering knuckle.

Notice
This is a self-retaining fastener joint that does not require thread locking compounds. Do not attempt to clean the threads with a standard tap. If a standard tap is used, damage to the joint threads will occur.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
1. Install the 3 hub and bearing assembly bolts. Tighten
2. Tighten the hub and bearing assembly bolts to 115 N•m (85 lb ft).
3. Install the wheel speed sensor connector into the bracket until the locking tabs click into place, if equipped with ABS.
4. Connect the electrical connector to the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with ABS.

5. Install the axle nut to the wheel drive shaft, hand tighten the wheel drive shaft nut.
6. Install the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front in Disc Brakes.

7. Install the wheel drive shaft nut to the wheel drive shaft.
8. Use a screw driver or similar tool to stop the rotation of the brake rotor. Tighten
Tighten the wheel drive shaft nut to 215 N•m (159 lb ft).
9. Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one question i was going over the instructions in part 8 of the removal process it says to install a J 42129 into the hub and bearing assembly to remove it. my question is What is a J 42129 and where would i be able to get one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe that might be a tool to press the axle out of the bearing. I just use a hammer handle and tap the axle shaft towards the tranny and it should slide in and allow the hub/bearing assembly to come off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
air hammer works wonderfully on axle shafts, and on hubs for that matter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok awesome thanks alot guys ill be doing this within the next couple of weeks. Just as soon as i get the money its the first thing im fixing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I decided to follow these instructions and replace the hub assembly on my front drivers side. I now have a problem, the ABS, traction control, and little wrench warning lights are now on all the time. What is happening? Is there anything that I can do. I unplugged the battery to reset the computer, no luck.

I noticed that my wheel sensor was not part of the hub assembly as a unit, but rather a separate piece that sat behind. I did not replace it. I did bang on the hub assembly quite a bit to loosen it up during removal. Did this damage the sensor? Please help, I don't want to give the mechanics all of my money. They certainly take it from me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car did the same thing. All the lights turned on after replacing the passenger side wheel barring. Still heard noises from the front of my car and a friend said the other barring is also bad and said the lights on my car may be on because the opposite side is also bad and that the lights could be on from metal in the other barring. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,160 Posts
Last post is nearly 2 years old...

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is kinda funny but now I'm looking in this old post possibly facing Wheel Bearing replacement, or may be not... in order to mitigate problem stated in my newest post :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any suggestions on how to remove the hub. Nearly broke the puller and the hub would not budge. Caliper, Bracket, Rotor, 3 hub bolts and center hub nut were removed. All that seemed to be left was to pull it off. Couldn't get it. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Any suggestions on how to remove the hub. Nearly broke the puller and the hub would not budge. Caliper, Bracket, Rotor, 3 hub bolts and center hub nut were removed. All that seemed to be left was to pull it off. Couldn't get it. Please help.
Is the CV shaft stuck in the hub and the hub stuck in the knuckle?

If so, put the puller back on and tighten it down as tight as possible without breaking it. Then, spray everywhere the bearing contacts the knuckle and CV shaft with something like PB blaster. After that let it sit for a few hours and try again. I have had good luck with this method, but it takes a long time and not guaranteed to work.

If that doesn't work hit it with a hammer while the puller is on it. If it is still stuck try heating the knuckle and hit it with a hammer to get it out. Hitting it with a hammer generally damages the hub to the point if you need to put it back together to get it to a shop won't be possible. I have had them separate from hitting them so hard. An air hammer sometimes can make things easier if you have one. Don't hit the CV shaft as this can mushroom the end and not allow you to get the center nut back on.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but I have had it to where I had to remove the knuckle, hub, and CV shaft from the vehicle to press the parts apart.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hammering CV shaft didn't help me at all! Wedging metal chisel between hub and knuckle was only option for me, I was dreaming about air chisel!!! :)
Slowly hub budged and when it was about 5mm between hub and knuckle i attached puller and now I was able to slowly pull CV shaft from the bub, after this exercises hub was destroyed :) And all the time everything was drenched with PB blaster!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.