Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I just got a 2009 2LT with the v6, sunroof, 6 speed, etc. I just have a few questions. On all of the adverts it says the car has a 16 gal. tank but it says something like 16 gallon premium tank 13.3. What is the 13.3? I ran through my first tank and it only took about 13.5 gallons to fill up with topping off, so is it not a 16 gallon tank or does the low fuel range indicator mean there's actually about 2 gallons left?

Anyone know a way to see your instant mpg when in manual shift mode?

I noticed the wiring behind my rearview mirror is exposed somewhat. Where it connects to the mirror I can see the colored wires and then it looks like they're covered with electrical tape after that. Is this normal or were they messing around with it?

Is there no overdrive button to turn it on/off?

Is the stabilitrak always on and automatically on? Any indicator when it's being used?

So far in mixed driving I'm getting about 18mpg. I was hoping to do a little better, but we'll see. I only got 275 out of the 1st tank, but who knows how full the dealer actually put it, and I assume it'll get better mileage with time and break in. It does seem like the oil life meter is dropping fast, but when I calculate the mileage it isn't so bad.

The range for the keyless entry and remote start is ridiculously good... not having 1 switched power outlet is bad, any simple work arounds for this?

I also find the driver seat placement a little poorly designed for getting in/out as it's set too far behind the pillar.

Anyone have any clue as to what the cost would be or how hard of a home project to install fog lights? I shouldve pressed for it before buying, and a deal on snow tires, but I settled for window tinting.

Oh one other thing. When I have the dash and other lighting turned up all the way I can hear a really high pitched, faint but annoying whine. The dealed called it static noise. It's like some department store security systems which I also hear and some people dont. If I back it off about half way it goes away. Anyone else experience this and have any other solutions or suggestions?

Well thanks in advance for any suggestions here... I love the car and this seems like a really active and informative forum!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, you have lots of questions!
The fuel tank on my 09 malibu has a 16 gallon tank. im not sure whats going on with yours, and that 13.3 number.. but, im not positive, you may be onto something with the low fuel indicator meaning theres a few gallons left. anytime i ever had my low fuel light come on, my 'miles to empty' mileage estimate would be around 40 miles or so, which would be 2 gallons. but dont hold me to that. all i know is my tank is about 16 gallons.

i dont have the paddle shifters, but have you tried pushing the info button when youre in manual mode?

dont worry about your mirror harness. thats just the way it was made.

theres no overdrive button, and the stabilitrak and traction control is always on, unless you press the button across from the hazard button. if you turn it off, theres an amber triangle with an image of a car in it that will come on by the speedometer. that same light will blink if you have low traction, or the stabilitrak system is activated. and the info center will also read out LOW TRACTION or ESC ACTIVE. (And you will hear your ABS pump)

mixed mileage on my 4cyl recently is about 20. but i am hard on the pedal, and in town. when i commute to the plant thats 30 miles away, ill start getting about 30 on the highway.

and the high pitched whine... I thought i was the only person that heard that!!!!!!!! Im so glad im not alone. anyone else who rides in my car cant hear it, but i can. i have just learned to deal with it, the only time i can hear it is when the radio is either off or low, and im not moving. which isnt often.

·
Registered
749 Posts
While in manual mode, you cannot activate the DIC system.. it wants you to monitor the gears so you don't wreck your car since it holds the gears (rather than shifting immediately like other cars tend to when in manual mode). ESC/StabiliTrak is always automatically on. To turn ESC off, you must press and hold down the traction control button until it says ESC Disabled (Or something similar). It will re-engage once you restart the vehicle's engine. I haven't tried the fog lights... I'd like to have them installed but from what I've read it's pretty hard.. especially getting a switch inside the passenger compartment.. GM blocked off the original space for the button supposedly..

My 08 2LT has 16 gallons.. that whole 13.3 thing must be the general tank and the 2 is just reserve. .. that's my guess at least.

When I first got my 2LT V6, I did have poor milage.. after a few hundred miles your milage will improve.. I get about 20-25 mpg now mixed driving.

CRM seems to have answered your other questions.. just ask if you have any other Q's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you have lots of questions!
The fuel tank on my 09 malibu has a 16 gallon tank. im not sure whats going on with yours, and that 13.3 number.. but, im not positive, you may be onto something with the low fuel indicator meaning theres a few gallons left. anytime i ever had my low fuel light come on, my 'miles to empty' mileage estimate would be around 40 miles or so, which would be 2 gallons. but dont hold me to that. all i know is my tank is about 16 gallons.

i dont have the paddle shifters, but have you tried pushing the info button when youre in manual mode?

dont worry about your mirror harness. thats just the way it was made.

theres no overdrive button, and the stabilitrak and traction control is always on, unless you press the button across from the hazard button. if you turn it off, theres an amber triangle with an image of a car in it that will come on by the speedometer. that same light will blink if you have low traction, or the stabilitrak system is activated. and the info center will also read out LOW TRACTION or ESC ACTIVE. (And you will hear your ABS pump)

mixed mileage on my 4cyl recently is about 20. but i am hard on the pedal, and in town. when i commute to the plant thats 30 miles away, ill start getting about 30 on the highway.

and the high pitched whine... I thought i was the only person that heard that!!!!!!!! Im so glad im not alone. anyone else who rides in my car cant hear it, but i can. i have just learned to deal with it, the only time i can hear it is when the radio is either off or low, and im not moving. which isnt often.

Thanks for the help!

When I'm in manual mode and hit info, it only cycles between a few options not all of them. I found other posts now saying that's how it is. I wonder why this happens. Do they not want us seeing the live mileage when in manual mode?

I think the button you're talking about is for the traction control, not stabilitrak. Stabilitrak is supposed to control your brakes and other stuff on all 4 wheels for sharp turns, evasive action taken, etc.. The traction control is for spinning tires... unless I'm mistaken.

The gas issue is a little annoying because when the low fuel indicator comes on the fuel gauge looks empty, the information panel says low fuel, and when I try to see what my fuel range is, it says Low Fuel Range, so I can't estimate how many gallons are left. If it is indeed 2, that's a lot of miles on the highway, so I guess I'll need to figure out what it correlates to so I know in my head as opposed to trusting the computer.

I haven't found anyone else that can hear it yet either. A tech at the dealership knew what it was, but also can't hear it. It must be how they make the instrument panels, lighting or the dimmer that makes it more prone to this static noise. It really bothers me, but it's not necessarily a flaw in the car, so I just turn it down.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
While in manual mode, you cannot activate the DIC system.. it wants you to monitor the gears so you don't wreck your car since it holds the gears (rather than shifting immediately like other cars tend to when in manual mode). ESC/StabiliTrak is always automatically on. To turn ESC off, you must press and hold down the traction control button until it says ESC Disabled (Or something similar). It will re-engage once you restart the vehicle's engine. I haven't tried the fog lights... I'd like to have them installed but from what I've read it's pretty hard.. especially getting a switch inside the passenger compartment.. GM blocked off the original space for the button supposedly..

My 08 2LT has 16 gallons.. that whole 13.3 thing must be the general tank and the 2 is just reserve. .. that's my guess at least.

When I first got my 2LT V6, I did have poor milage.. after a few hundred miles your milage will improve.. I get about 20-25 mpg now mixed driving.

CRM seems to have answered your other questions.. just ask if you have any other Q's.
Thanks... that 2 gallon reserve thing might be right. In searching it seems like a lot of GM vehicles (inc. Saab) advertise the same way, but they don't explain. Just a bland statement of "16.0 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank 13.3". I've never had a fuel tank with a reserve.

I have noticed one other thing. There seems to be a shudder or hesitation with the car when I start it up and let it idle or warm up. Every 20 seconds or so it'll shudder, hesitate a bit, then clear up.

Also, any idea what the little dome is on the dashboard near the windshield? Is this part of OnStar or they keyless entry? My dealer never gave me the walk around.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks... that 2 gallon reserve thing might be right. In searching it seems like a lot of GM vehicles (inc. Saab) advertise the same way, but they don't explain. Just a bland statement of "16.0 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank 13.3". I've never had a fuel tank with a reserve.

I have noticed one other thing. There seems to be a shudder or hesitation with the car when I start it up and let it idle or warm up. Every 20 seconds or so it'll shudder, hesitate a bit, then clear up.

Also, any idea what the little dome is on the dashboard near the windshield? Is this part of OnStar or they keyless entry? My dealer never gave me the walk around.
The little dome on the dashboard is the light sensor so your car knows when to activate the headlights. Nothing more. Your OnStar microphone is right above your head near the overhead lights. Keyless entry is just hidden away somewhere haha.. And the traction control button shares both TC and ESC functions. My previous post explained how to disable ESC. To turn TC off but leave ESC on, just tap the TC button.

My vehicle shudders a little bit when it's warming up when it's very cold out. It's normal.. it should smooth out once the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The little dome on the dashboard is the light sensor so your car knows when to activate the headlights. Nothing more. Your OnStar microphone is right above your head near the overhead lights. Keyless entry is just hidden away somewhere haha.. And the traction control button shares both TC and ESC functions. My previous post explained how to disable ESC. To turn TC off but leave ESC on, just tap the TC button.

My vehicle shudders a little bit when it's warming up when it's very cold out. It's normal.. it should smooth out once the engine is warmed up.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey all... I just got a 2009 2LT with the v6, sunroof, 6 speed, etc. I just have a few questions. On all of the adverts it says the car has a 16 gal. tank but it says something like 16 gallon premium tank 13.3. What is the 13.3?
Just did a quick research. I believe 13.3 is for imperial gallon, which is a UK measurement (abbrev as imp gal) as it is cited on the wiki web site
I have a 08 02LT too. In the manual, the fuel capacity is listed as 16.3 gal (US of course). I don't think it has a reserve gas. I do feel the fuel gauge needle dropping fast when traveling. Make me think that fuel gauge does not map to 16.3 gal, but something smaller....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just did a quick research. I believe 13.3 is for imperial gallon, which is a UK measurement (abbrev as imp gal) as it is cited on the wiki web site
I have a 08 02LT too. In the manual, the fuel capacity is listed as 16.3 gal (US of course). I don't think it has a reserve gas. I do feel the fuel gauge needle dropping fast when traveling. Make me think that fuel gauge does not map to 16.3 gal, but something smaller....
Imperial gallon? They (along with the rest of the world) use litres.. the metric system. It's the United States that's still on the Imperial system.

I would assume we have a reserve tank.. my tiny crappy buttholeish Cobalt had one (I think it was also 2 gallons).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most cars do have a gallon or two leeway in the tank for the low fuel warning. It was 1.5 gallons in my old car.

I hear the electrical whine when the car engine is off and the accessory mode is engaged. I will have to see if the lighting controls change the sound. At least it's not there when driving.

If the electrical tape look annoys you there are tons of options for covering it up. I was thinking those plastic wiring tubes would work pretty good. Lowe's, Home Depot, ET AL. have them.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did you test drive it before buying it??? the salesguy could have explained everything about the car and answered all your ???, anyway enjoy the car, love my LTZ :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Imperial gallon? They (along with the rest of the world) use litres.. the metric system. It's the United States that's still on the Imperial system.

I would assume we have a reserve tank.. my tiny crappy buttholeish Cobalt had one (I think it was also 2 gallons).
Imperial gallons are sometimes used in Canada when it comes to fuel in cars, which can be confusing, but mostly we're using liters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you test drive it before buying it??? the salesguy could have explained everything about the car and answered all your ???, anyway enjoy the car, love my LTZ :D:D:D
I did, but they weren't very informative, so most of my research and q&a was done via the internet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I do feel the fuel gauge needle dropping fast when traveling. Make me think that fuel gauge does not map to 16.3 gal, but something smaller....
i think that also, because whenever my gauge would be really close to empty, i would check the info for the miles to empty, and it was usually around 43 miles right before the low fuel warning would come on, so that makes me think theres about 1.5-2 gallons reserve maybe.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Have you checked the Wiki web site? The "13.3 Imp Gal" was listed there for fuel capacity.
I really want to believe what you said about the reserve tank but I am still skeptical about it until we have a reliable source or a sound explanation on it. BTW, the manual says 16.3 gal total, so that should be 3 gal reserve tank if it does exist.
Also, good luck with asking this with a sale man. I have not seen any sale man has good technical details on something like this. :cool:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't do Wikipedia.. that's not reliable at all LOL.. an 8 year old probably wrote the page on Imperial Gallons.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't do Wikipedia.. that's not reliable at all LOL.. an 8 year old probably wrote the page on Imperial Gallons.
If so, I would challenge you to do one .. Said is easier than done. Wikipedia is the best source to the whole world these days... See if you can beat that "8 year old" to write a similar one there. LOL

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imperial gallons are sometimes used in Canada when it comes to fuel in cars, which can be confusing, but mostly we're using liters.
That is probably why it is listed next the liters for sale in Canada: "16 US gallons (60.6 L; 13.3 imp gal)"

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have two other issues. I was trying to get into the DIC (for the next issue) and I noticed my Enter/Reset button sticks every time I push it. It can't be dirty but perhaps it's from being detailed at the dealer. Any suggestions for a way to clean this from the outside?

I wanted to get into the DIC because when I got my car the horn would sound not the first time I locked the doors from the keyfob, but the second, and the dealer changed it to do it the first time. How can I change it back?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have two other issues. I was trying to get into the DIC (for the next issue) and I noticed my Enter/Reset button sticks every time I push it. It can't be dirty but perhaps it's from being detailed at the dealer. Any suggestions for a way to clean this from the outside?

I wanted to get into the DIC because when I got my car the horn would sound not the first time I locked the doors from the keyfob, but the second, and the dealer changed it to do it the first time. How can I change it back?
The option for horn honk is to have it On just whenever you hit Lock, which is what the dealer did for you and which is a simple On/Off in the DIC. Otherwise, the horn honk when you push it a second time is a confirmation of sorts, and the standard setup.

You need to get into the DIC by holding down Info & Enter at the same time, releasing and then hitting Info until the option for horn on lock is up, then hit Enter to switch it to Off.

Your buttons should not be sticking, and new, nothing should be dirty but once in a blue moon there are defective buttons. Some of the Saturn Aura people have had that happen before (same steering wheel), albeit rare. If it continues to happen, just show a dealer & it should be a simple fix.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.