Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2010 Malibu today and I have a couple of questions about everything. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and (obviously) selling it and I'd like to keep it as close to new as possible.

What are some ideas (besides general maintenance like oil changes and air filters) for keeping a new car "new"?

For example I was thinking about putting seat covers on the front seats and maybe something on the steering wheel. Does it make sense to get some sort of underbody protection or something? Should I wax it immediately? How often should I wax it? How often should I clean the interior? I live in Michigan if that helps.

Basically I'm just asking what I can do to keep the car looking new? If there is a post or website that answers these questions I apologize...I did a search and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,145 Posts
First thing to consider is getting a mat for the driver's side. It'll help keep the heel from messing up the factory mat.

Tint the windows to help keep UV fading to a minimum.

Wax the car soon. I don't know if there is any other protection from the factory but I doubt it. Eventually you'll get swirl marks in the clear coat. I used Meguair's SwirlX and it took them out. Mine is 18 months old now and looks like new. Turtle's Black Box wax is what I used next, but all it is is carnuba wax with black pigment. Works good and looks good, but if you have another favorite product use it.

Watch what others do to or with theirs as you watch what's posted.

Then, get in and enjoy your car.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I like to keep my cars looking great as well. But I am not the type to try to make the car look good for the next guy but sacrificing things for myself. Meaning I like to use the nice carpeted mats, not the all weather ones, I like to sit on my leather, not Pep Boys covers, and if the mats wear, I will buy new ones. If I get some wear on the leather, oh well. I want to enjoy the car while I own it, not make it so the next guy can. Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
587 Posts
I bought a 2010 Malibu today and I have a couple of questions about everything. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and (obviously) selling it and I'd like to keep it as close to new as possible.

What are some ideas (besides general maintenance like oil changes and air filters) for keeping a new car "new"?

For example I was thinking about putting seat covers on the front seats and maybe something on the steering wheel. Does it make sense to get some sort of underbody protection or something? Should I wax it immediately? How often should I wax it? How often should I clean the interior? I live in Michigan if that helps.

Basically I'm just asking what I can do to keep the car looking new? If there is a post or website that answers these questions I apologize...I did a search and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

My cars have always looked very good when it was time for me to sell them, but I didn't do anything extraordinary. My last car had leather seats - I used to put a dressing on them to protect them from fading and cracking. The cloth seats you have are very durable. I don't believe in putting seat covers over brand new seats. Seat covers are generally for old, ripped seats that you want to cover up. As Silver said, I never wanted to do anything that would take away from my enjoyment of the car. The cloth seats should hold up fine and they're very comfortable. Seat covers could actually cause damage, because you're not allowing the material to breath which can dry out the material. If you want extra protection from stains, you may consider having them scotch guarded, but this is up to you.

I was always a big believer in waxing. Waxing protects the finish and will preserve that new car look. Also, modern waxes are much easier to apply and wipe off, so waxing a car is no big deal. The dealer does not wax the car for you. They put a glaze on the car and buff it out to give you a nice smooth finish and a glossy shine. Now is the perfect time to put a coat of wax on. You will preserve that new car look right from the start. I try to wax my car at least once every 3 months. I do it more often in the warmer weather. It's harder to do in the winter, so I make sure to put a coat of wax on before the really cold weather sets in. Make sure the car is perfectly clean before applying the wax. Also, when I wax the car, I generally put a coat of Armorall (or equivalent) on the vinyl dash components, armrests, etc. This will protect it from cracking, fading, and sun damage. Of course, Windex the guage cluster, speedometer, and radio face. Don't spray directly on the surface. Spray on a paper towel, and then apply and wipe off. Vacuum your interior every couple of weeks.

Aside from this, keep up with your maintenance, especially oil changes. Changing your oil at the recommended intervals will ensure a long engine life.

This is all I really ever did and I always got very good prices when I sold or traded my cars. And they looked and ran great when it was time to sell.

· Registered
38 Posts
I like to keep my cars looking great as well. But I am not the type to try to make the car look good for the next guy but sacrificing things for myself. Meaning I like to use the nice carpeted mats, not the all weather ones, I like to sit on my leather, not Pep Boys covers, and if the mats wear, I will buy new ones. If I get some wear on the leather, oh well. I want to enjoy the car while I own it, not make it so the next guy can. Just my 2 cents.
Amen!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
63 Posts
Silver, I have to agree 100 % with what you said about enjoying the car while you have it, and not deny yourself the pleasure of using it just to keep it "pristine" for the next guy. No truer words have ever been said.

I'll take care of the car, do the maintenance and be careful not to deliberately or carelessly cause harm to it. However, when it comes down to it, it is a car, it serves me, and not the other way around.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

· Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Really great points guys! For the amount of money we pay on these cars they should be enjoyed to the fullest, and like Mr Bill said...........just be careful not to deliberately harm it. Just stay on top of the maintenance so it will last you as much as you need it to.

· Banned
174 Posts
Have always bought bath towels to cover the seats, whether leather or cloth seats. Comfortable in winter and summer and always easy to match the interior colors. No more worry about spills. Seats still look new even ten years later.

· Premium Member
502 Posts
Wet Okole covers are also great to cover/protect the seats but are pricey... Aside from the custom covers I agree that they are mostly for AFTER you enjoy the seats. I decided to splurge on custom the first time around.

If you wax the car "right away", make sure you clay bar the car (ideal) or at least polish/"clean" (with a polishing/cleaner wax compound) first. After that, you could use either a polymer sealant then a wax, or a paste wax right at the get go.

There is alot of unique contaminants with regards to shipping the cars that will rarely or never be seen again and is definitely present. Its the only time your car will be on a train, or sit dormant outside for a few months, and you'll be surprised what you get out after you wash the car.

To protect, you could also:
Buy the GM Splashguards (I currently have only my front ones on)
Use 303 Aerospace on the interior plastics (my pick for which to use.)
Scotchgard all the interior fabrics (auto version available at walmart/auto stores)
Wax your wheels (regardless of type unless aftermarket chrome. Seal the chrometec ones probably)
Get a trunk liner as well.
Undercoat.

· Premium Member
502 Posts
be careful when you cover front seat because there is a side airbag in each front seat standard
Yes, on the exterior side of each front seat -- Make sure when you buy good covers that they ask you if you have seat mounted airbags. And say yes.

If they don't ask or say explicitly, they probably wont and this will not only cause a problem in an accident/be dangerous, but they probably arent good covers/a good cover company.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have 100600 miles on 2008 Malibu, and have some small areas on both front seats that there is wear, and even though small, it is noticeable, and I am thinking that it may be time for a seat cover, but none like I had back in the 70's.
I am looking for a custom seat cover since I will be driving this car for a while longer, and then some.
So recommendations would be appreciated....................................
Mike

· Registered
430 Posts
This time of year it is important to keep the road salt off the car as much as possible. Here in western New York, I run through a touchless car wash about once a week this time of year to keep the road salt off. Don't forget to get the under chassis dome.

Also I am more of a fan of floor liners over floor maps. I have the WeatherTech digitalfit and love them.

· Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Originally Posted by sunshineman68I have 100600 miles on 2008 Malibu, and have some small areas on both front seats that there is wear, and even though small, it is noticeable, and I am thinking that it may be time for a seat cover, but none like I had back in the 70's.
I am looking for a custom seat cover since I will be driving this car for a while longer, and then some.
So recommendations would be appreciated....................................
Mike
Hey Mike,

We definitely understand how important it is to keep up with the appearance of your Malibu! If you'd like to PM us your VIN, we can try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
680 Posts
In my opinion, floor liners are one of the best investments you can make to keep the carpet like new. I've had them for 5 years on my Trailblazer, and I get in that covered in mud, grease, snow/slush up to my knees, whatever else is on my boots and the carpet looks perfect. I bought liners for the Malibu an hour after arriving home from the dealership. Best price was Amazon, $123 for the set of 4. I prefer Husky over Weathertech. Both are great companies with a great fit, but I prefer Husky for two reasons. Weathertech mats have the holes in the correct places for the little retainer pegs in the floor to hold them still. When my mats have an inch of water from melting snow in them, the last thing I want is holes in the bottom, the Husky liners have a bump in them that goes over the pegs, so the water doesn't run through. Also, Husky's have hundreds of tiny spikes on the bottom. They aren't going anywhere once they are in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.