Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My car has been giving me some problems for a while now and I wanted to do one last troubleshoot with anyone who knows a 2008 Malibu well enough. I took it to a mechanic and he said I needed a new catalytic converter because mine was plugged completely. The check engine light has been on for the cat error code for a while now, despite how much cat cleaner I run through it. As of this point, twice now it has put itself intro reduced engine power, esc off, and service traction control, and the engine starts jumping terribly. My acceleration is terrible, at this point I cannot gun it, so all my turns and whatnot are super slow, and I can no longer go above 40mph due to this. It feels like it cannot switch gears, and will jump when switching, I also have to lower the rpm to 2 because if it goes to 4 it will go into reduced engine power mode. Last but not least, my gas mileage is terrible. I figure all this is the fault of the cat, but I just wanted to be 110% sure before I buy a new one. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Hopefully you have not hurt the motor by driving it all this time with plugged cat.
Driving it with these issues you just have been beating the crap out of it all this time.
Is it a California emission equipped car? Then you will need a factory, from the dealer cat as aftermarket ones do not work properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts