Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Loe (like Joe, but with a backwards)

I've rented a few new Malibu's off enterprise during business trips and I must say, I am impressed with the level of quality and feel of the car. It feels much better than some recent Camry's I've had as rentals. I'm here mainly just to 'browse' and looking at common problems, issues, fixes, modifications and just ownership relations in general. I have a pretty big list of cars to replace my 328Ci (it's getting up there in mileage at 172,XXX miles) in the up coming year and the Malibu is on that list.

My current ride(s) is in my signature.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So far, the biggest problem I have seen is the door weather strip scratching the paint on the early production Malibus. GM fixed the problem later......hopefully.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Loe- The reason I smile when we both pull up to a stop light. You in your BMW 328ci with whatever the other stuff you have listed along with it really is? Back to why I smile it's not you or your really, really great car either. It's me knowing that you will take a massive hit when you sell it and ya got ripped off just to look cool. I already know I am cool which is why I buy American made products @ half to what you paid gaining nothing in the end. Maybe that Chevy was really cool after all those years hey?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I paid 19K for my 328Ci fully certified (100K mile warranty) with 43,XXX miles on the clock 4 years ago. So, no, I don't feel like I got ripped off ;) It's been extremely reliable to me and more important, fun to drive and still able to get 33mpg at a constant 80mph. The only out of basic maintenance I've paid for was to update the cooling system at slightly over 100K miles, and that was for preventative measure (Water pump, thermostat, hoses, radiator) which were simple to replace.

You gain nothing with cars in the end unless you drive some rare exotic. I bought what I bought because I lusted for one, and yes, it was cool to drive one and more importantly, I could afford one. I am in no way making a comparision a Malibu to my 328Ci, just looking for a relatively new 4door replacement with FWD or AWD, automatic transmission, reasonably low to maintain and in the 20-25K region with a nice warranty.

Chevy's were always cool to me, not first on my list of cars in the past years, but now that my priorities have changed, I'm considering a nice family sedan in preparation for my future family needs and the current Malibu impresses me ;)

p.s. what I decide to buy or have bought is my own issue. I am in no way making assumptions towards you, so I would appreciate if you wouldn't as well. If you were concerned with what you'd take as a hit when you come time to sell your car, why in the world would you buy a brand new car and not a used $10,000 reliable used Malibu? It's half of what you paid, American made, and you won't be taking a massive hit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, the biggest problem I have seen is the door weather strip scratching the paint on the early production Malibus. GM fixed the problem later......hopefully.
Is there a specific build date onfile when the change was made?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Loe, I have to say that I love my Malibu LTZ 2008 Imperial Blue, Ebony/Brick interior, and 18 inch low profile rims. I will be adding a spoiler and change my rims to chrome with some window tiniting. I miss bluetooth which is now available on the 09 and an indash nav which Chevy does not offer. In the interim, I purchased a mount from Kuda Usa specific to the Malibu and a 5 inch Panasonic Strada. I love the car. My first choose was a 08 or 09 CTS but it was not affordable. Don't let others get you down for purchasing a Beemer which is not in the same category as a Toyota or Honda. However, I personally would never buy a Toyota, Honda, etc. I am an American and I buy American.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
The biggest issue has got to be the vibration between 40 and 50 mph that some here experience.

Oh, yes, welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Loe, I have to say that I love my Malibu LTZ 2008 Imperial Blue, Ebony/Brick interior, and 18 inch low profile rims. I will be adding a spoiler and change my rims to chrome with some window tiniting. I miss bluetooth which is now available on the 09 and an indash nav which Chevy does not offer. In the interim, I purchased a mount from Kuda Usa specific to the Malibu and a 5 inch Panasonic Strada. I love the car. My first choose was a 08 or 09 CTS but it was not affordable. Don't let others get you down for purchasing a Beemer which is not in the same category as a Toyota or Honda. However, I personally would never buy a Toyota, Honda, etc. I am an American and I buy American.
Will you be selling your factory rims? If so how much?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I LOVE the color combo you chose!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Is there a specific build date onfile when the change was made?
If I remember right they changed to new door seals mid spring of 2008.
If you look at the door frame and see fine scratches in the paint, the car probably has the bad seals.
It will look like this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, mine has the old seals and started the same thing. I did nothing about it to see if I would eventually have the problem. So after I started noticing slight scratching I applied the silicone spray after cleaning the seals every few weeks. No problems yet so maybe they just needed some attention while breaking in. Maybe not at some point I will become lazy quit with the silicone or even caring really. After all it is a 20,000 dollar car. And quite a car for the price!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.