Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you've ever read my sig, you know we have both an '08 Malibu 2LT 4-cyl (well, technically, my mother's) and my recently (June 30th) purchased '08 G6 GT coupe. All along I wanted a Malibu and had been jealous of my mother's, but then I saw the G6 coupe and being on the same platform and the same size, plus the coupe body style and V6 only powerplants...I was intrigued. Test drove a few, and never looked back. Not as polished as the Malibu, for sure, but still a solid, quiet, powerful, and fun car.

Or at least they're supposed to be, and the 3 I test drove were. Mine, which was a special order car in White Diamond Tri-Coat with Taupe cloth and upgraded 18" wheels was a stunner...and EXACTLY what I wanted. At least visually, it was dead on. In every other respect, a disaster. 8 repairs consisting of 13+ days, ranging from a roof that creaked and popped like being hit with a hammer and falling apart non-stop (4 repairs...none did a thing), to constant shuddering on the road regardless of cruising, accelerating, etc., to Check Gas Cap alarms and smells (gas included) that never could be resolved.

Fast forward to today, the day of "Yes, there IS a God" and I got the call from GM that they were offering me a full MSRP trade buyback and due to the very low mileage and extent of my issues, even waving any usage/mileage fees. "Just find something you want for the same MSRP or higher and we'll switch over everything."

Malibu it is. My G6 was $26,050 and I think I'm willing to put up to another $1000 on top of that (the less the better, though), and am shopping. I've thought for the longest time I wanted a 2LT V6...but now I can't decide.

I drove 2 '09 LTZ's tonight, both a 2.4L and a 3.6L. The price on the 2.4L LTZ is right, but I love the feel of the 3.6L car a little more and it's hard to go back to even the very peppy 2.4L after my V6 G6.

Price-wise, the choices are:
1) 2LT V6 with a sunroof and one or two other small things
2) LTZ 4-cyl with no options
3) 2LT 4-cyl with EVERY option

I'm in a pickle. Love the LTZ extra chrome bits, wheels, and Brick interior, but similarly heart the 2LT's extra comfy UltraLux, wheels, and the V6. Same for model year, as the 2008's are a bit cheaper and still have the side marker and power pedals, but the 2009's are a year newer and with Bluetooth.

Decisions, decisions. I just don't know. Color is hard enough, hah! Especially after my White Diamond G6...though I think I'm cursed with white anymore. Black Granite is a fave, though I go back and forth on the "black" factor (dark, extra maintenance, etc.), as is Dark Gray, Golden Pewter, Silver, etc. I don't know. The one I've thought of most is a Black Granite/Cashmere '08 2LT V6 with roof and mats that's at another dealer...but again, I don't know. And then I want an LTZ again.

This isn't unlike other threads we've had with 2LT vs. LTZ, at least, but any thoughts for my soon to be (2) Malibu driveway? Hmm...that's all I can say...hmm. I want to make a decision ASAP as my salesperson is ready to go the second I tell her what I want, and I want the G6 gone immediately.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Personally I would choose the I4 LTZ because there really aren't any options for you to choose besides the V6 and Sunroof! Everything basically becomes standard on the LTZ. That's just my opinion :p

·
Registered
749 Posts
And after driving an I4 I feel it's very sufficient for the Malibu. You'll be able to adjust..

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And after driving an I4 I feel it's very sufficient for the Malibu. You'll be able to adjust..
I go back and forth. I had a 2.2L Malibu rental for a month and loved it. Mom loves her 2.4L 4-speed 2LT and is always talking about "it flies right along, trust me." I've agreed many times when I've borrowed it, I've mostly thought the same.

Then I get used to my G6 with the firmer hydraulic steering and the instant roar right off the line of the V6, and quieter/more responsive feel all around.

Just don't know. It was interesting to drive the 2.4L/6-speed and then the identical car with the 3.6L within minutes of one another tonight. Then back into my G6 to go home, and just a sitdown in mom's 2LT to try out the UltraLux again. Decisions, decisions.

Personally I would choose the I4 LTZ because there really aren't any options for you to choose besides the V6 and Sunroof! Everything basically becomes standard on the LTZ. That's just my opinion :p
True too, though I'm fine with what a 2LT has as is, I think. Like the idea of the auto climate and upgraded audio of the LTZ...but trying out both, neither wow'd be appreciably over the 2LT we already have without.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As I said I just came out of their I4 engine and currently driving the V6.. I don't see THAT much of a difference after the long run.. plus... you'll save a couple MPG by staying with the I4 which is always good! Ultimately it's up to you obviously but just giving you the opinion..

OR you could just copy me and get the 2LT with the V6 engine and sunroof! We could be twins :p

All three options are very nice cars.. I just wish the LTZ didn't have such contrasting interior colours!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said I just came out of their I4 engine and currently driving the V6.. I don't see THAT much of a difference after the long run.. plus... you'll save a couple MPG by staying with the I4 which is always good! Ultimately it's up to you obviously but just giving you the opinion..

OR you could just copy me and get the 2LT with the V6 engine and sunroof! We could be twins :p

All three options are very nice cars.. I just wish the LTZ didn't have such contrasting interior colours!
Yeah...it's a draw, in every way.

What is currently at the top of my "list" (I'm working on the order...):
1) '08 2LT V6 with sunroof & mats, Black Granite/Cashmere, Black Granite/Titanium, Golden Pewter/Titanium, Silver/Titanium
2) '09 LTZ 4-cyl base, in some color...
3) '09 2LT V6 with something
4) '09 2LT 4-cyl with everything...some color

Oy. Right now, the economy side of me is saying stick to the great Ecotec (originally why I even fell for the Malibu, ugly last gen and all), BUT that sound and the grunt of the 3.6L is undeniable.

After the "perfect" G6, I want a replacement yesterday, but also don't want to second guess myself which is difficult. Argh.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Now I'm left wondering if they would've bought back my '07 Malibu...:(

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm left wondering if they would've bought back my '07 Malibu...:(
Trust me, it has to be pretty severe, ongoing, and it's all quite a process. I'm still shocked--although very warranted--of the settlement today. If you have a lot of issues, but the dealer can and is fixing them, no dice...even if there's 20 of them. But the same things that are rather severe, and persist after repair after repair, it builds a case.

Biggest help in mine? I started videotaping every day of driving the car and caught a lot of issues live in full audio and visual, and would upload them to my photo site and send the links to the GM rep. THAT made a huge difference, for sure, and I was thanked more than once for doing so.

That said...bed time and I'm STILL no closer to deciding on a Malibu configuration, hah:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's all personal taste and needs, but FWIW I test drove the 08 4 cyl, then stepped into
an LTZ V6...instantly I knew it was the ONE. Aside from the more powerful motor, it
seems they step up the suspension and handling package to go along with the V6's
(not just the LTZ either). The V6 not only had the power, but the FEEL. At least for
me anyway.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I switched over to V6 engines a couple of cars back...Just couldnt go back to 4 bangers from that point on. Bad for the environment and my wallet, but just love that effortless pull of a good ol V6..

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah and I love it how whenever you press the accelerator on the V6 the front tyres spin out and the police pull you over for making excessive noise.

o;siehfalkjdh

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Yeah and I love it how whenever you press the accelerator on the V6 the front tyres spin out and the police pull you over for making excessive noise.

o;siehfalkjdh
2 words - traction control :D:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Traction control is always on though

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine has done that a couple times with quick launches with traction control on :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Trust me, it has to be pretty severe, ongoing, and it's all quite a process. I'm still shocked--although very warranted--of the settlement today. If you have a lot of issues, but the dealer can and is fixing them, no dice...even if there's 20 of them. But the same things that are rather severe, and persist after repair after repair, it builds a case.

Biggest help in mine? I started videotaping every day of driving the car and caught a lot of issues live in full audio and visual, and would upload them to my photo site and send the links to the GM rep. THAT made a huge difference, for sure, and I was thanked more than once for doing so.

That said...bed time and I'm STILL no closer to deciding on a Malibu configuration, hah:rolleyes:
Hmm. I doubt they'd take mine back. Only things wrong are annoying little things like clicking noises and small rattles. :(

Personally, if I were you, I'd go for the LTZ with the 4-cyl.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great comments and encouragement guys!

I just spent another hour at the dealer (terrific working half a mile and one traffic light away;) ), but this time in the sun, as the dark of night can really throw things off.

I drove an Imperial Blue/Cashmere LTZ 4-cylinder again (I know the V6 feel...I just had to decide once and for all on the 4-cyl), to see what I thought. Again, I liked the car, but the 4-cyl just was't clicking with me as much as I tried. Quiet enough, smooth, and zippy but just not right for me. I think the 6-speed would have to learn me, as it immediately doesn't feel at home in conjunction with the 4-cylinder, and the lighter electric steering is pleasant but odd after getting used to my V6 hydraulic G6.

This, after we chatted and I was very close to thinking a White LTZ 4-cylinder was for me...I still love the look, but the feel isn't right. I think.

Same for the full leather. I specifically had to have cloth in my G6, which was hard enough to get with otherwise every option checked and in the right colors...and my lack of leather fad continues. It's nice and I like the LTZ texture visually...but in the heat today and in general, don't "click" (yep, again) with full leather.

SO, we're getting close...I think. A 2LT V6, with the awesome suede (love it in my mother's...like cloth, but better), more power, and firmer steering seems like the ticket. Color is the last thing, but black/tan still speaks to me. As does Golden Pewter/Titanium. I like light & bright, but am such a stickler at cleaning, as my friend/salesperson said "well, then, black would be NO issue with you". And it looks great. But the blue-gold also does, and is my "light" choice.

She pulled up a listing of what they have coming in, which included a Silver Moss/Titanium 2LT V6, and the green is nice, but I don't know. Plus, it's not built yet.

The only other thing is the 2008 vs. 2009 factor. Now that I have the chance to essentially upgrade and keep my current loan with NO change except for the one time difference payment, natural tendency would be to take a 2009 and have a year newer car too. But 2009's are also more expensive and although I like the Bluetooth a lot, it's not a must.

We'll see. I'm going to look through my stack of window stickers from "matches" all over about a 300 mile radius and then call my salesperson and have her go at it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Mine has done that a couple times with quick launches with traction control on :D
It should do that but just for an instant before tc actually kicks in :) so shouldn't be more than a short squeal :)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It should do that but just for an instant before tc actually kicks in :) so shouldn't be more than a short squeal
Oh, you guys just make me salivate over the 3.6L more. And to think, months back, in June, when I was first "new" new car shopping for the first time, the highest gas mileage possible and likely a hatch body style was at the top of my list. Think Honda Fit, Chevy HHR, etc. Then, somehow, I go with a G6. And now...I think...a Malibu.

My father saw me tonight in the G6 and asked "What, no new car yet?" I said no but that I was likely going Malibu after driving a few again, and only got the look:confused: "What about an HHR?" This after yesterday's, "whatever you do, don't go for the same drivetrain, and be absolutely sure it's the right thing this time." I did--and again am--think HHR SS, as I originally considered a mid-level HHR but the 'Bu is more me, I think.

Regardless...stopped by the dealer again and had a PERFECT showing right at 5:30 in the bright evening sun. A new Black Granite/Titanium 1LT with every option just prepped (I think may have been bought) and sitting out front in sparkling glory. Whew, what a color, which is the hardest thing for me ever to say after my current glowing White Diamond.

Nothing firm, but I gave her some window stickers numbered in order that I printed out from dealers all over the place with close cars, and said Black Granite with Cashmere or Titanium 2LT V6 and/or Golden Pewter/Titanium of the same, preferably the black. One is dead on, an an '08 with the right price and not far away, but we'll see...I hope ASAP tomorrow, so I can drop the G6 off and be happy again.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be sure to let us know which one you chose and show some pics.
Eventually, yes.

As usual, I reconsidered color and even model again this morning, but still think 2LT V6 is the ticket. Colors, and even options, that will be a surprise.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.