Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

New Poll: Does your 08-09 Malibu vibrate on slight acceleration in 40-50 mph range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, All

This a poll about an issue that seems to exist in 08-09 Chevy Malibus.
The problem is prominent and annoying vibration/shudder on light acceleration in 40-50 mph range of speed. It also may be accompanied with a rumbling engine tone.

Here is a long running thread with all the details available at this point: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906

GM has not acknowledged the problem yet. Typically people get a technician or service adviser to acknowledge the unusual vibration to the point of contacting the GM rep on the phone, but unfortunately it ends right there with "it's normal" type of response.

I am posting this poll the second time because the we decided to change the poll options to provide more info. So, if you already voted in the old poll PLEASE VOTE AGAIN. Please do that as a personal favor to those of us who have been stuck with a brand new car with a problem and no resolution in sight.

If you can, please also supply details about your vehicle such as trim level, plant it was build on (Fairfax or Orion), build date and the current mileage.

Thank you very much to all!

PS If case you own 2 cars and one of them has the problem, please vote for that car.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 40-50 Mph Vibration, How Many Cars Affected

Mine does not shake. I only get a slight occasional vibe that is consistent with the overall feel of this drivetrain. It's hard to distinguish it from the bumps road surface, I would never pay attention if I didn't know about the problem others have.
I have over 5000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Re: 40-50 Mph Vibration, How Many Cars Affected

See poll results/signature for vehicle details.

No vibrations recognised.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
1) 2009 2LT 3.6L/6-speed, Orion 08/08 build, 2,900 miles (Voted)
-Has a physical shudder that reverberates through the car from the driveline often, mostly from 40-50mph while accelerating and most notable under light-moderate acceleration. Sometimes it continues a bit more and is met with a growlier than normal engine note and/or bogged down power. The "rumble strip" sensation, to varied degrees, describes it well.
-When cruising normally at speed, when the throttle is lifted off to allow deceleration, the downshifts are accompanied by a shudder/jiggle that can go from light (apparently is a normal characteristic of the tuning) to obnoxious, making it feel like the car is sputtering but it's still over 1000rpm and running "smoothly" otherwise.
-The growling shudder can go from light to obnoxious to oddly gone, in a variety of mixtures.
-Dealer drove, duplicated and agreed on the shudder but, like others, called GM TAC for information on what to do & were told it's normal and to test another car. They did and apparently it was similar, at least compared to whatever "version" mine was throwing off and nothing was done.

2) 2008 2LT 2.4L/4-spd, Fairfax 12/07 build, 11,800 miles
-Runs smooth, shifts smoothly, rides and handles steady and perfectly, driven lightly or hard, without any notable flutter, vibration, or shudder.

EDIT: Apparently, upon mentioning the issue to my father finally, he said "yeah, your mom's has been doing something like that too, at least that I've really been noticing more and more." This is the 2.4L/4-spd car, now a hair under 12k miles. I noticed what he mentioned, certainly not like my car at times, but a momentary drivetrain shudder mainly if you slow or coast lightly in the 40's and/or then step on it once again--feels like TCC confusion, or in the midst. My mother has yet to mention it, and it's her car, but my father has. Otherwise, still solid, steady, and clicks off shifts without notice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ "Spring Special" (4 cyl./6-speed)

Built during 6/2008 @ Fairfax. Currently, car has 3000 + miles with no sign of any improvement with the vibration.

The car:

A) Vibration generally occurs around 37 MPH when the car shifts into 5th gear under lite acceleration. It clears a little, then vibrates again when the car shifts into 6th gear - can be noticed up to 60 to 70 MPH then it clears up.

B) The vibration is felt in the front floor pans under the driver's and passenger's feet. In addition, the vibration can be felt in the accelerator pedal.

C) There are times, depending on the speed, that the vibration/wobble can be felt in 4th gear under medium acceleration.

D) The vibration/wobble/shake can also be felt a little in 1st, 2nd and 3rd under certain loads and different conditions.

Basically, the car is annoying to drive and I don't care to drive it anymore. The only relaxing time is when I'm driving 70 MPH + on the highway.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to see votes rolling in, thank you all !

Let's keep the poll going.

·
Registered
167 Posts
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ "Spring Special" (4 cyl./6-speed)

Built during 6/2008 @ Fairfax. Currently, car has 3000 + miles with no sign of any improvement with the vibration.

The car:

A) Vibration generally occurs around 37 MPH when the car shifts into 5th gear under lite acceleration. It clears a little, then vibrates again when the car shifts into 6th gear - can be noticed up to 60 to 70 MPH then it clears up.

B) The vibration is felt in the front floor pans under the driver's and passenger's feet. In addition, the vibration can be felt in the accelerator pedal.

C) There are times, depending on the speed, that the vibration/wobble can be felt in 4th gear under medium acceleration.

D) The vibration/wobble/shake can also be felt a little in 1st, 2nd and 3rd under certain loads and different conditions.

Basically, the car is annoying to drive and I don't care to drive it anymore. The only relaxing time is when I'm driving 70 MPH + on the highway.
My experience is identical to what is described above, however I'd add that in my case, I also feel the vibration in the base of the seat. I have also had instances where I feel no vibration/shudder no matter what speed/gear.

I agree that it is very annoying!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mine shakes slighty at about 60mph when the engine is not fully warmed up. Then it goes away. 2.4 with 4spd.
Escapemax

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was just at my dealer yesterday trying to negotiate a transaction for a Traverse for my wife to replace her Equinox and mentioned my vibration issue. My salesman said that the owner has a 2LT 6 Speed with the same issue that he calls a "rumble" in the seat...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe it would also help to add a second piece to the poll. For those with issues what year and plant their vehicles are. Maybe that allows the issolation of a certain build time frame.:confused:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Maybe it would also help to add a second piece to the poll. For those with issues what year and plant their vehicles are. Maybe that allows the isolation of a certain build time frame.:confused:
It's already quite complex, that's why we ask for this information in your post description, if you care to add one. Given that people with a problem are doing so, we're getting such info in this way.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Wow the votes rolled in overnight :) Thank you for voting.
Yes, with the mass email thanks to Pizza Man, the numbers should be picking up nicely soon.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's interesting that there are some 4 speed cars with the shaking problem. Can owners of those elaborate perhaps? Is it consistent with the description of of the problem? I.e. pronounced shaking on light acceleration in 40-50 mph range?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys, I have the 4 cyl 4 speed and have not noticed any vibrations, but before I vote, I will try and see if I notice anything in the 40-50mph range.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.