Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new double din one for my 05 malibu but when i plug it in the cars gauges go down and the car shut off once. is this because the factory radio had the temp, mpg, etc. in it, is there a converter i could buy to help this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an aftermarket radio in my 07.. The bu and g6 us the same radio (althought the g6 has red backlighting) and need the same adapters

There are 2 to 4 different wire harnesses you need to retain all the origional features of the radio..

DIC - This is an expensive kit.. about $300.. If not modified, it will fit in place of the origional radio w single DIN slot for the aftermarket radio.. The new DIC screen is below. There are 2 different kits. 1 made my mitrosa (has a single line of text, is avail via crutchfield) and the other scoche (has 2 lines of text, this is the one i have) (i know i misspelled those names)..

GMLAN wire harness - unknown price, this one is important!! it is part of the soche DIC piece, not part of the mitrosa.. It basically provides a switched 12v lead (there is no switched 12v to the stock deck!!!!!).. 99% aftermarket radios need 3 power related wires, constant 12v, switched 12v and ground

Chimes/OnStar - unknown price, again this is also important!!! Not only do you lose door/seat belt chines, but the warning/idiot lights for the related also stop working properly.. unconfirmed, but also believed to triger PCM error codes............

Steering Wheel Controls - obviously only if you have them.. not needed, but annoying if they are on the car....

It cost me $500 just for harnesses for my radio install... was it worth it? for me, yes.. But I also did a COMPLETE install..

The DIC piece was disambeled and custom mounted under the AC controls to make room for the double DIN HU..

JVC KW-NX7000 - Double DIN Navigation and DVD (also had SD card slot and USB)
Bluetooth, XM (this needed a discontinued adapter for the tuner and controller) and HD Radio added on (only missing the ipod adapter, but i dont have an ipod and the iphone is usable via bt as a phone and audio device)
6 1/2" arc audio componet speakers front and rear powered by 125 watt x4 arc audio amp
pair 8" arc audio subs powered by 125 watt x2 arc audio mini amp

Installed total, just over $5k

The MAXX is actually going back on monday for upgraded speakers and amps

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have an aftermarket radio in my 07.. The bu and g6 us the same radio (althought the g6 has red backlighting) and need the same adapters

There are 2 to 4 different wire harnesses you need to retain all the origional features of the radio..

DIC - This is an expensive kit.. about $300.. If not modified, it will fit in place of the origional radio w single DIN slot for the aftermarket radio.. The new DIC screen is below. There are 2 different kits. 1 made my mitrosa (has a single line of text, is avail via crutchfield) and the other scoche (has 2 lines of text, this is the one i have) (i know i misspelled those names)..

GMLAN wire harness - unknown price, this one is important!! it is part of the soche DIC piece, not part of the mitrosa.. It basically provides a switched 12v lead (there is no switched 12v to the stock deck!!!!!).. 99% aftermarket radios need 3 power related wires, constant 12v, switched 12v and ground

Chimes/OnStar - unknown price, again this is also important!!! Not only do you lose door/seat belt chines, but the warning/idiot lights for the related also stop working properly.. unconfirmed, but also believed to triger PCM error codes............

Steering Wheel Controls - obviously only if you have them.. not needed, but annoying if they are on the car....

It cost me $500 just for harnesses for my radio install... was it worth it? for me, yes.. But I also did a COMPLETE install..

The DIC piece was disambeled and custom mounted under the AC controls to make room for the double DIN HU..

JVC KW-NX7000 - Double DIN Navigation and DVD (also had SD card slot and USB)
Bluetooth, XM (this needed a discontinued adapter for the tuner and controller) and HD Radio added on (only missing the ipod adapter, but i dont have an ipod and the iphone is usable via bt as a phone and audio device)
6 1/2" arc audio componet speakers front and rear powered by 125 watt x4 arc audio amp
pair 8" arc audio subs powered by 125 watt x2 arc audio mini amp

Installed total, just over $5k

The MAXX is actually going back on monday for upgraded speakers and amps
I no longer have a 2004-2007 'bu, but if you have pics of your setup I'd still be interested. I'd like to see a factory-look / function nav unit in an 08+ bu too though. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im gonna try and get some tonight.. Im playing with the lighting in the car now (adding red lights to the interior)..

I should also be able to get some pics of the doors/speakers with the door panels off monday or tuesday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.